Golden Strip Freeway?

gs3

I was with a friend (who is moving to Greenville from Pittsburgh) last night in Office Max. We were picking up a few things and he noticed a Rand McNally laminated map just of the immediate Greenville area and burbs. Picked it up to buy and I was looking at it. They had 385 (the section from 85 to Downtown) called out three times in big black letters as the "Golden Strip Freeway". I know the term "Golden Strip" applies to Mauldin, Simpsonville, etc, but I've never seen this section of 385 into Downtown called this. Does 385 have any official name? Is Rand McNally correct? Is this 385's name?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HAHA! That's interesting... Maps sometimes disguist me with their lack of knowledge.

The 385 extension (south of 85) was referred as the "Golden Strip Freeway" during it's planning stages. This extension was contemplated due to the heavy traffic on Laurens Road (US-276) between Mauldin and Greenville. Construction began in 1978 and was completed in 1986. I have seen maps referring to the segment of 385 between 85 and downtown called the "F.E. Armstrong Highway" but I have never seen or heard of the extension being referred to as anything other than 385.

The 385 extension (south of 85) was referred as the "Golden Strip Freeway" during it's planning stages. This extension was contemplated due to the heavy traffic on Laurens Road (US-276) between Mauldin and Greenville. Construction began in 1978 and was completed in 1986. I have seen maps referring to the segment of 385 between 85 and downtown called the "F.E. Armstrong Highway" but I have never seen or heard of the extension being referred to as anything other than 385.

Thanks roads-scholar! Is F.E.Armstrong the official name?

I am not sure how I feel about calling it the Golden Strip Freeway, but recent nomenclature I really like is calling the Pleasantburg-Haywood-Roper Mountain Road area "midtown." :thumbsup:

Agreed! Midtown is what the area is. Most people still refer to that entire area as Haywood, but Midtown sounds much better. :D

Thanks roads-scholar! Is F.E.Armstrong the official name?

Agreed! Midtown is what the area is. Most people still refer to that entire area as Haywood, but Midtown sounds much better. :D

I have no idea who F.E. Armstrong is. However, the name "FE Armstrong Highway" was shown on official state highway maps for Interstate 385.

Archived