BRU being sold?

jencoleslaw

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's not owned by anyone... the domain is available.

seems kind of odd that there wouldn't be anything in the projo about BRU being sold...

I don't know if it is being sold, but it going to be under new management at least. The DJs were talking about it yesterday.

Hopefully they bring in some programming managers who will let the DJs have more control again and we can start hearing music that is a little different than every other "alt" station in the country. I can't believe it was only ten years ago that WBRU was riding 3 straight years of being named Rolling Stones best radio station in the country...and deserving it. Yeah maybe I shouldn't get into this rant again.

I don't know if it is being sold, but it going to be under new management at least. The DJs were talking about it yesterday.

Hopefully they bring in some programming managers who will let the DJs have more control again and we can start hearing music that is a little different than every other "alt" station in the country. I can't believe it was only ten years ago that WBRU was riding 3 straight years of being named Rolling Stones best radio station in the country...and deserving it. Yeah maybe I shouldn't get into this rant again.

personally, i can't stand most of the music that BRU plays. it's all the same crap. and what's up with an alt-rock station having hip hop sundays? i tried listening to them for a while after i moved here, but just couldn't stand hearing yellowcard over and over again (this was about 2 years ago).

I'm betting its an april fools joke.

I know its BRU, but the dj's have been talking about this in a very unprofessional manner. Think about how many radio stations have quietly changed hands in RI in the last several years. I never heard (maybe I didnt listen) the dj's start complaining about management changes on the air before.

Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see the station turn into another Clear Channel regurgitation. But if they were really changing management, I'd expect a more coordinated announcement, less events lined up, etc.

Think of the publicity they're getting now that they've made these informal announcements. Hey, we're talking about them...

If I'm wrong... crap... we may need to start a new campaign

"Buddy FM?"

yup.

April Fools.

:lol:

best bru prank EVAH! and here i had written them off for just SUCKING the last few years with all that aggro-rock.

I actually listened to the cutover on my commute home tonight. They had dicky barrett call in which I though was a nice touch. When they cut over it actually seemed resonably convincing, but then the "Buddy FM" ID's got sillier and sillier. I guess later on they played the "Lite Rock for the Whole Family" liner and then played 2live crew. I liked the use of "Buddy FM" as a sendup of Jack FM. Unfortunately BRU is as mainstream as any of the citidel/infinity crap. They dont seem to realize how irrelevent they have made themselves through uninspired programming. It was a good gag though.

From the journals blog this afternoon.

WBRU back in its original groove

Radio station WBRU is back to its regular alternative-rock format after an abrupt switch turned out to be an April Fool's hoax.

No, the joke is on us! It's pathetic that we can't support a real NPR station and have to get all our programming from WBUR in Boston. After all the flap last year about selling off WRNI, the whole issue has sunk back into lethargy. Come on people! We want to consider ourselves a real city and all we can get is a crummy AM spinoff from Boston!

No, the joke is on us! It's pathetic that we can't support a real NPR station and have to get all our programming from WBUR in Boston. After all the flap last year about selling off WRNI, the whole issue has sunk back into lethargy. Come on people! We want to consider ourselves a real city and all we can get is a crummy AM spinoff from Boston!

huh?

what does this have to do with WBRU?

huh?

what does this have to do with WBRU?

I was thinking that most college towns have at least one FM radio station that serves as the NPR outlet. During the ruckus about selling WRNI, there was some wishful thinking that Brown might take over the station.

During the ruckus about selling WRNI, there was some wishful thinking that Brown might take over the station.

There was? Is there really that large an audience to justify an NPR station here?

There was? Is there really that large an audience to justify an NPR station here?

I know when I was a DJ at WRIU there was always talk of NPR taking over. I love NPR, but I dont think the addition of an FM NPR station would make up for the loss of WRIU. I do wish the WRNI was FM, just because while I love WGBH I really dislike classical music and dont listen to jazz, so all I really need is talk, news, and maybe some Prairie Home Companion. I have a hard time listening to AM just because of the sound quality.

AM is good enough for baseball games, which is the only talk i listen to. I regret losing two FM music stations that I can think of at the moment to talk stations. We lost an alt rock - 99.7 the edge, and WWRX which was a rock station forever.

AM is good enough for baseball games, which is the only talk i listen to. I regret losing two FM music stations that I can think of at the moment to talk stations. We lost an alt rock - 99.7 the edge, and WWRX which was a rock station forever.

i assume 103.7 was wwrx? they were fnx for a while, but before that they were a great classic rock station.

Absolutely!

Some Midwestern states with less population than RI (and where NPR is particularly strong... Look at all the national NPR programming out of Minnesota Public Radio) have 3-5 NPR stations covering the entire state.

The Phoenix did a great job of covering the WRNI flap last year. Part of the lull in news is that WBUR was being pretty corruptly run it appears, and there are still ongoing investigations into the management of BUR and tons of staff turnover.

Most of RI actually isn't yet covered with an NPR station. RNI only covers metro Providence (and barely that in places) and the 1230 AM Westerly branch sounds like you have to be right in some reception "sweet spot" the size of a futon to pull it in well.

No, there's potential if it was correctly administered.

- Garris

Most of RI actually isn't yet covered with an NPR station. RNI only covers metro Providence (and barely that in places) and the 1230 AM Westerly branch sounds like you have to be right in some reception "sweet spot" the size of a futon to pull it in well.

No, there's potential if it was correctly administered.

I'm a fairly regular listener to WRNI, even though reception is definitely spotty down my way. I consider the quality of NPR programming to be well worth the annoyance of the lousy signal, and I know several other Newporters who feel the same way. I agree that the audience is out there for a "real" NPR station in RI.

Some Midwestern states with less population than RI (and where NPR is particularly strong... Look at all the national NPR programming out of Minnesota Public Radio) have 3-5 NPR stations covering the entire state.

There are two low-wattage FM NPR stations covering the Cape alone. I listen to NPR on Sirius.

There are two low-wattage FM NPR stations covering the Cape alone. I listen to NPR on Sirius.

That's a great option. I knew NPR was on one of the services...

You don't get any local news from that option though, correct?

- Garris

Archived