Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

Umm, if Charleston can get a bogus bridge, we can get a freeway. :angry:

Now why does the bridge have to be bogus? Play nice. ;)

But just from looking at a map, the northern portion of the county really does seem to be isolated from the central part, where the city is. If this happens, the city's sprawl will reach new heights.

Was just watching the evening news and they were talking about how many jobs this whole Gary Player move and the Cliffs development will add. Also talked about tax revenue....HUGE! :yahoo: This has been a really great couple of months for job announcements in Greenville and the Upstate! :yahoo:

Now why does the bridge have to be bogus? Play nice. ;)

But just from looking at a map, the northern portion of the county really does seem to be isolated from the central part, where the city is. If this happens, the city's sprawl will reach new heights.

Bogus is all in fun.

Sprawl? Maybe, but what's going to happen if growth occurs and no freeway? pollution, longer commutes, more Woodruff Roads... This is just to move the people. The county needs to control growth so that a freeway wouldn't lead to uncontrolled sprawl... but what does Greenville county do right? you'd think that the largest county in the state could opperate effectively and in the best interest of its people, but apparently not. :sick:

Umm, if Charleston can get a bogus bridge, we can get a freeway. :angry:

Charleston desperately needed a new bridge. The old bridges were literally about to fall into the harbor. A freeway is not likely. There are many other projects in SC that the DOT needs to work on first.

Call center or distribution center? some kind of back office functions?

Actually, all of the above! They specifically mention call center and distribution center, but I suspect some office functions will be involved with an operation that size. Here is a link to UP|Spartanburg's thread for further discussion on this subject.

Charleston desperately needed a new bridge. The old bridges were literally about to fall into the harbor. A freeway is not likely. There are many other projects in SC that the DOT needs to work on first.

I agree about the bridge. They did, but one so ellaborate? so expensive when SC is having the trouble it is? I love the new bridge don't get me wrong

Considering that Jacksonville, Brunswick, and Savannah all have similar cable-stayed bridges, I think that they couldn't just let Charleston fall behind the pack. The bridge is funcitonal too.. it is designed to withstand earthquakes and hurricanes. Supposedly its designed to incorporate a rail line to Mt Pleaseant in the future. Being a US highway, they had to get federal funds for the project as well, so its not all coming from the state.

Considering that Jacksonville, Brunswick, and Savannah all have similar cable-stayed bridges, I think that they couldn't just let Charleston fall behind the pack. The bridge is funcitonal too.. it is designed to withstand earthquakes and hurricanes. Supposedly its designed to incorporate a rail line to Mt Pleaseant in the future. Being a US highway, they had to get federal funds for the project as well, so its not all coming from the state.

Oh, I realize, and if you read my other post you know I'm not entirely serious. ;)

Though the bridge itself has very little to do with the actual port. A new bridge was necessary, but one so lavish is a luxury we're all paying for.

Ain't it worth it though? I mean, have you seen that thing? Close up? From a short distance, even? Has anyone here run across it? :lol: It's an amazing accomplishment and an icon for the State of South Carolina! It's a beautiful bridge.

Though the bridge itself has very little to do with the actual port. A new bridge was necessary, but one so lavish is a luxury we're all paying for.

The old bridges, in addition to be in poor condition, also limited the size of container ship that could access the Wando (the largest) and North Charleston Port terminals. So raising the clearance height of bridge was expressly for the port. Also, the clear span was increased to allow for simultaneous passage of two container ships.

The old bridges, in addition to be in poor condition, also limited the size of container ship that could access the Wando (the largest) and North Charleston Port terminals. So raising the clearance height of bridge was expressly for the port. Also, the clear span was increased to allow for simultaneous passage of two container ships.

Excellent points, Infinite1! :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

This has its own thread, but just to keep it all in perspective, I'll post it here with some of its fellow announcements of late.

100 jobs possibly on the way to Greenville County. I thought we had a running total around here somewhere, but I can't place it. Oh well. Hopefully we can add another 100.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You guys are fortunate that you have a very aggressive economic development team that does a superior job of marketing the Greenville Metro. I wish we had such a group here in Tallahassee. I applaud your area for its pro-growth mentality.

I've never heard that before. I'm not saying that it's not true, but no one has ever pointed it out to me. It's certainly great to hear!