Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

HEY! I don't know if we have any big Asian companies here (not Hitachi and not manufacturing). But, the Global Trade Park hasn't seen too much in the way of anything big yet... Although, the GTP has a building and would probably hold the press conference there. And I forgot that it involves a bunch of cooperation, so probably not. But if it is, you heard it here first :lol:

I was going to joke earlier and say that it might be the Pinnacle on Main groundbreaking...as long as we've waited, it is indeed a huge announcement that requires the governor's presence! :lol:

Seriously, I am not sure who this could be. Some guesses (some more realistic than others) to keep things interesting:

-Maybe BB&T is moving their headquarters fom Wilson, NC to a tower downtown.

-BMW moving their headquarters from NJ to Greenville.

-Lockheed Martin expanding operations here.

-Pharmaceutical company (e.g., GSK) expanding operations on a grand scale (more corporate jobs, perhaps?)

-Something with Grainger

^^^I also heard somewhere that BMW signed tax incentives a couple years back to do a 400 million dollar expansion. Not sure if that has happened yet or not.

TRUST ME, this announcement will not be about an expansion for BMW. Whatever plans for an expansion BMW might have once had are currently "on-hold" if not scrapped all together. BMW has been hiring more associates recently but they have all been brought in through a temp agency with little or no plans to be hired permanently down the road. TRUST ME.

ALSO, there will be not be any jobs or other divisional functions for BMW currently located in NJ relocated here.

I was going to joke earlier and say that it might be the Pinnacle on Main groundbreaking...as long as we've waited, it is indeed a huge announcement that requires the governor's presence! :lol:

Seriously, I am not sure who this could be. Some guesses (some more realistic than others) to keep things interesting:

-BMW moving their headquarters from NJ to Greenville.

-Lockheed Martin expanding operations here.

-Pharmaceutical company (e.g., GSK) expanding operations on a grand scale (more corporate jobs, perhaps?)

-Something with Grainger

While I'd love to see BMW move their NJ HQ to Greenville, I doubt that's it. I don't think it is just a HQ of any kind. It must be industrial due to the apparent involvement of utilities and multiple entities. Think county, not city.

BB&T is headquartered in Winston-Salem, and I doubt it would be this, since it appears as though the county is the focus here (a bank HQ would want a very visible presence downtown). At any rate, some information about the bank's future was given in this post in the Charlotte subforum.

I'm thinking the development will be more industrial/blue collar in nature.

Lockheed Martin was using 'fake threats' to leave, most likely it is them.

only to leave though. I would not say that them staying and continuing their operations is worth the Governor's time. If it's them then they must be expanding, but why would that require cooperation among different entities in Greenville County? This is very perplexing.

I'm going to stick with the inprobable light-rail announcement. :rolleyes: Maybe a COMPANY is sponsoring the EXPANSION of mass transit for naming rights :lol: . The South Financial Rail Transit Authority. They'd never run out of funding, haha ;)

Edited by GvilleSC

only to leave though. I would not say that them staying and continuing their operations is worth the Governor's time. If it's them then they must be expanding, but why would that require cooperation among different entities in Greenville County? This is very perplexing.

I'm going to stick with the inprobable light-rail announcement. :rolleyes: Maybe a COMPANY is sponsoring the EXPANSION of mass transit for naming rights :lol: . The South Financial Rail Transit Authority. They'd never run out of funding, haha ;)

I was thinking it might be Lockheed as well. And no, I have no further knowledge on this than anyone else. It is just a strange hunch. They would need a lot of cooperation between entities for expansion because they are in the Donaldson Center, which would require city and county council blessing. Have the meeting downtown to throw people off a little.

My off the wall idea, though, would be BMW is being annexed by Greenville County...

My first guess was that it perhaps has something to do with Project Apple. :whistling: I honestly don't have any clue though. Could it maybe have anything to do with one of the other towers proposed for Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center? Could BMW be expanding into Greenville County? Could it be related to St. Francis' expansion plans? Could it be LockMart? The possibilities are nearly endless. Maybe the Cliffs are proposing yet another community.

Edited by RestedTraveler

I was working with Lockheed Martin, until a family crisis in December had me move back up north (for now), so that's why I haven't been posting on here much lately. It didn't hit me until just now that one of the lead engineers I worked with - who would often spread information he probably wasn't supposed to - had told me early in January something about the company going to have a change of logo. I'm not at all sure what that entails (another merger?), or if it's relevant at all. It was before the announcement from the state about upgrading the facilities at the Donaldson Center, but who knows how long that had been discussed behind closed doors.

My first guess was that it perhaps has something to do with Project Apple. :whistling: I honestly don't have any clue though. Could it maybe have anything to do with one of the other towers proposed for Magnolia Parking Lot Town Center? Could BMW be expanding into Greenville County? Could it be related to St. Francis' expansion plans? Could it be LockMart? The possibilities are nearly endless. Maybe the Cliffs are proposing yet another community.

You aren't the first person who has said that about BMW. BMW Manufacturing is located in another county, but BMW does have a prominent physical presence in the city of Greenville already.

I believe this is an expansion of an existing business or industry.

Could it be Lockheed Martin?

My money is on Lockheed Martin

^Counties don't have the power to annex; their boundaries are permanently fixed.

Actually and area can succeed from one county and be annexed in to the other. Greer considered doing this recenlty and it has happened a few times in the lowcountry.

The Cliff is working on a new community but it is in Buncombe County, I also thought St. Francis a possibility, but I only would think the Sanford wouldbe involved if a major research or university appplication is involved.

I doubt the Govenor would be involved in announcing a county government relocation.

^Counties don't have the power to annex; their boundaries are permanently fixed.

Actually, Counties can (and do) annex but it is initiated by those affected, not the receiving County. There's no way it could be done without the public knowing of it. Plus, there would be no jobs involved with changing counties.

St. Francis is old news that has already been announced. As hospital expansions go, it is minor. The only office tower in Magnolia is the County Square deal, which is a possibility. A Cliffs community would not create permmanant jobs, so not Governor-worthy. Fluor is a possibility, but I still pick Lockhead Martin.

Edited by vicupstate

Whatever this development is, it most likely involves a major corporation's expansion here. The name of the company could easily be reason enough for the governor to make an appearance. Many of you have said it could be Lockheed Martin, and I have to say that it sounds like a definite possibility now. Flour Corporation expanding could generate a major buzz, but perhaps not enough to warrant this much energy - unless it involves hundreds of new engineering jobs.