Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

Flour has been hiring up a bunch of Engineers latley, something in the neighborhood of 2, 3 hundred. BUT, those aren't new jobs, so I wouldn't think an expansion that doesn't warrant any "NEW" jobs at a less than "Household name" company would bring the gov. Lockheed is probably the best guess that I've heard so far of any existing companies, and I'd be happy with a bunch of new high paying Engineering jobs in the area :yahoo:

My guess is someone new though :unsure:

Actually and area can succeed from one county and be annexed in to the other. Greer considered doing this recenlty and it has happened a few times in the lowcountry.

I'm aware of that (e.g., Edisto Beach flipflopping between Charleston and another county in the Lowcountry), but that's not really an annexation in the usual sense. Furthermore, that involves a municipality, not a manufacturing facility. Is the BMW plant located within the municipal boundaries of a town within Spartanburg County? I always thought it was in an unincorporated portion of the county.

I'm aware of that (e.g., Edisto Beach flipflopping between Charleston and another county in the Lowcountry), but that's not really an annexation in the usual sense. Furthermore, that involves a municipality, not a manufacturing facility. Is the BMW plant located within the municipal boundaries of a town within Spartanburg County? I always thought it was in an unincorporated portion of the county.

Isn't it considered a "free trade zone?"

A guy on the Greenville News forum claims to work for the company expanding and I think is trying to tell us over there that the company starts with a "C." I'm not quite sure though. :unsure:

:rofl:

Hmmm, this should shake things up a bit! Let's see, there's Charter Communications (that's why your bill went up!), Carolina First, and I got nothing. Any other guesses? :D

^^^Read the comment i'm talking about at the bottom of this article discussing this announcement: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....INESS/702090331 Does Caterpillar have anything here? Remember all the billboards along Interstate 85 promoting them. Hmmm.

Hmm, so it's a plant. Now I'm stumped. And they do a lot of good in the community. :blink:

Carolina First? Community Bank? Cornerstone Bank? ???

:rofl:

Hmmm, this should shake things up a bit! Let's see, there's Charter Communications (that's why your bill went up!), Carolina First, and I got nothing. Any other guesses? :D

Caterpillar does have a very large presence in Greenville County already, so it is not impossible...

So, if Sanford is showing up to have his name associated with this, then does that mean he's done something to help attract this expansion, or is he coming because he wants some good press in the upstate? I don't know what would warrant his appearance other than him having a hand in it. Can anyone clear that up?

Any bets on location?

So, if Sanford is showing up to have his name associated with this, then does that mean he's done something to help attract this expansion, or is he coming because he wants some good press in the upstate? I don't know what would warrant his appearance other than him having a hand in it. Can anyone clear that up?

Any bets on location?

Any MAJOR job announcement is attended by whatever Governor is in office. The Governor appoints the Commerce Chief, so he can claim credit to some degree on any such announcement. Sometimes the Governor does get involved in the actual negotiations. Carroll Campbell was a master at that, and he met face to face with the decision makers of many of the major announcements during his two terms.

I don't think the Governors before or after him have gone to that level, at least not as often.

Governors generally do not attend if it is minor, or has already been announced. Usually the announcement would involve several hundred jobs, that pay at least average or better wages. If the jobs are high tech, the more likely the Gov will be there, even if the numbers (jobs, total investment) were somewhat lower.

As I stated earlier, if the Governor is there, I would expect 300 jobs, $100mm in investment or more.

Additionally, the number of jobs announced MAY be low-balled because they might be tied to incentives and the company would want to set the bar low, so they can easily meet it. BMW's initial announcement was like 400 jobs, but even then, it was well known that it would really be many many more than that. [Today BMW is nearly 5000 employees]

If it is Caterpillar, I would assume it is an expansion of their existing plant, which I frankly know nothing about.

They have a plant here in Simpsonville or Ft. Inn, not reallly sure on the address. Its located off of Harrison Bridge Rd. and 385 behind the Grainger warehouse. When I first moved to SC. I got a job there as a temp assembling diesel engines. Its been well over 2 years and when I was there they were talking about bringing more work to the plant.

My guess is that this could be the new company gsupstate hinted at awhile back, possibly bringing 400 new jobs along I-85. Who knows, but it certainly sounds positive. :thumbsup:

There is a 400 to 700 job project that is 90 percent certain to be announced in Greenville later in 2007. This announcement this week should be something different from the one I know about, unless I've been asleep for a few months and time fast forwarded itself (with the fog I'm in after this past week, that's quite possible). :lol:

My first thought is Lockheed Martin, however, that was to retain jobs. This announcement would mean that Lockheed Martin has decided to add jobs and I don't see that.

I think the announcment this week will be a good shocker.....one that no-one has guessed. One thing I've always liked about Greenville (Upstate).....it plays it's cards close to the vest and frequently comes along with shockers.

There is a 400 to 700 job project that is 90 percent certain to be announced in Greenville later in 2007. This announcement this week should be something different from the one I know about, unless I've been asleep for a few months and time fast forwarded itself (with the fog I'm in after this past week, that's quite possible). :lol:

My first thought is Lockheed Martin, however, that was to retain jobs. This announcement would mean that Lockheed Martin has decided to add jobs and I don't see that.

I think the announcment this week will be a good shocker.....one that no-one has guessed. One thing I've always liked about Greenville (Upstate).....it plays it's cards close to the vest and frequently comes along with shockers.

Maybe it's for the Wal-Mart that's going to built on Pelham Road. :lol:

Edited by g-man430

In the spirit of its someone we've not thought of, and perhaps "Starts with C" Heres a list of the fortune 200 companies that start with C, and their 2006 ranking.

4. Chevron

8. Citigroup

19. Cardinal Health

28. Costco

53. CVS

55. Caterpillar

83. Cisco

89. Coke

94. Comcast

114. Cendant

120. Coca-cola Enterprises

122. Countrywide Financial

125. Constellation Energy

130. Cinga

143. ConAgra Foods

149. CBS

156. Chubb

175. Centex

187. Catpital One

188. CHS

199. Consolidated Edison

My Guess is one of the banking/credit cards or another Tech Company.

The process of of changing county boundaries requires the alteration of state law.

BMW is on state owned property in Spartanburg County, so it is unable to be annexed. It would be annexed into Greer otherwise. I'd say its pretty evident at this point that it wont be BMW.

Here is a list of companies headquartered in Greenville County that start with "C"

C&T Mfg Co.

Canal Insurance Co.

Carolina First

Carolina Graphic Arts, Inc.

Carolina Industrial Equipment, Inc.

Carolinas Recycling Group

Central Carolina Bank

Champion International Corp.

Charter Communications

Christian Blind Mission International

Clayman Pleating & Stitching Co.

Coates & Clark, Inc.

Compfortaire Corp.

Computer Dynamics, Inc.

Consolidated Tires, Inc.

Crescent Supply Co., Inc.

Custom Gaskets & Packing South, Inc.

Carolina First has been growing a lot, so maybe its yet another announcement from them?