Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

Advance Composite Materials is doing a 10 million dollar expansion in Greer. More is suppose to be announced today. It may add a small number of jobs.

Article from the Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....09/GGN/70808019

More on the expansion of this company, but still no info on new jobs. Maybe none are being added? :dontknow:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...3/1003/BUSINESS

Two interesting articles from the business section of Greenville News.

BMW is working with NASA on hydrogen fuel test with "shared commitments".

2nd article is about Cuppy's, a coffee chain out of Florida. Thinks the Greenville market can support 40 locations. I've tried the one on Woodruff....thought it was local.

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../708120318/1003

Wow. 40? Are Spartanburg and Anderson included in that figure?

I would hope so. With Port City Java, Starbucks, Liquid Highway, and now Brick House Coffee popping up all over the place, I can't imagine Cuppy's would over-saturate Greenville proper with 40 locations. :blink: It's hard to tell from reading that article though...in one sentence they say "Upstate" and in another they say "Greenville Market."

All this ...and still not Caribou. :cry:

Are the 37 Dunkin Donuts going to be in the immediate Greenville area or the entire Upstate? I thought they were just Greenville and burbs. If they can pull it off, I guess Cuppy's can pull off 40 locations (the Cuppy's article had conflicting info).

Nice to see Upstate cities / counties working together on economic development. Several people from different Upstate counties are in Canada on an economic development trip. Article from the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../708130331/1003

Are the 37 Dunkin Donuts going to be in the immediate Greenville area or the entire Upstate? I thought they were just Greenville and burbs. If they can pull it off, I guess Cuppy's can pull off 40 locations (the Cuppy's article had conflicting info).

Yea, but Dunkin Doughnuts doesn't have Krispy Kreme and Tim Horton on every corner to compete with them, either. I think the Dunkin Donuts locations are going to be spread out across the Upstate, if I recall correctly.

Yea, but Dunkin Doughnuts doesn't have Krispy Kreme and Tim Horton on every corner to compete with them, either. I think the Dunkin Donuts locations are going to be spread out across the Upstate, if I recall correctly.

I haven't had a Tim Horton doughnut in forever.......

Yeah, 40 would have to be Upstate. Jack in the Box only opened around 20 locations when they flooded the market a few years back.

Excellent economic news! GE has run out of space on it's campus, and is looking around Greenville for office space to house engineers. The Greenville facility currently employees 3,000, just 150 shy of the all time high. The best part, is that now a greater percentage of the employees are highly paid engineering positions. :thumbsup:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....SINESS/70813035

Excellent economic news! GE has run out of space on it's campus, and is looking around Greenville for office space to house engineers. The Greenville facility currently employees 3,000, just 150 shy of the all time high. The best part, is that now a greater percentage of the employees are highly paid engineering positions. :thumbsup:

I'm sure they have some things on their radars, but I'd love for them to enter downtown's office space. Wouldn't it be cool to see "GE" illuminated on one of our skyscrapers? :)

I'm sure they have some things on their radars, but I'd love for them to enter downtown's office space. Wouldn't it be cool to see "GE" illuminated on one of our skyscrapers? :)

That would be cool. :)

Since The Point is also close to their campus, it could be cool to see one of the highrises in The Point lit up with the GE logo.

In the middle of a money magazine articleabout the housing foreclosure crisis that many cities are facing, Greenville was singled out as one of the few cities that actually have a reduction in foreclosures.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/14/real_estat...on=money_latest

Edited by gvegascple

In the middle of a money magazine articleabout the housing foreclosure crisis that many cities are facing, Greenville was singled out as one of the few cities that actually have a reduction in foreclosures.

That is a big deal, Greenville actually had the second lowest rate and the largest decrease in rate of forclosure. Columbi and Charleston showed well also.

That is a big deal, Greenville actually had the second lowest rate and the largest decrease in rate of forclosure. Columbi and Charleston showed well also.

That makes sense, since none of our metros has experienced a true housing boom like a lot of the cities that ranked towards the top.

If you Google about this story, there are like 55 stories on this around the country in various metros. In almost every single one, Greenville is called out by name in the article, as one of the best performing markets. Excellent press for Greenville as regards economic stability. :thumbsup:

Ding, ding, ding! And the lightbulb goes on in my head, telling me that this could potentially be part of Project Skyline. It does make sense afterall, considering the large presence right here in Greenville and the great amount of growth in recent years with projection for more to come in the near future. A company like GE would have the capital to pull of this investment and I could see why they would be willing to do so in Greenville and the Upstate. If they planned a new campus or office complex and decided to move a headquarters here, it would take a pretty sizable chunk of change. Food for thought... :)

Ding, ding, ding! And the lightbulb goes on in my head, telling me that this could potentially be part of Project Skyline. It does make sense afterall, considering the large presence right here in Greenville and the great amount of growth in recent years with projection for more to come in the near future. A company like GE would have the capital to pull of this investment and I could see why they would be willing to do so in Greenville and the Upstate. If they planned a new campus or office complex and decided to move a headquarters here, it would take a pretty sizable chunk of change. Food for thought... :)

GE Power Systems is headquartered in an office complex in Marietta, GA off I75 near Atlanta. It's not moving anytime soon. Sounds like GE is just looking for office space/ cube farm for its engineers. That plant went through some major layoffs in 2002/2003. I'd expect they would be very careful about constructing office space. Sounds like they are just looking for some leasing agreements in the Garlington Road area, especially so that the engineers can be close to the labs there. Could be wrong though...

You know, there have been times when I wished Greenville was not located in South Carolina. This state has real issues with setting its priorities straight. <_<

The money promised to make repairs and maintenance at Donaldson Center has been lost in a major state budget shortfall. This money was specifically called for in an effort to retain the 1,200 employee force at Lockheed Martin Corp. Now it is anyone's guess as to what they will decide.

The jobless rate jumped across the state last month, but fortunately Greenville County had the 4th lowest rate, indicating its economic strength while being the most populated SC county. Most of the numbers for Upstate counties are not so great though, with all but 2 coming in at a higher jobless rate than the rising state average.

You know, there have been times when I wished Greenville was not located in South Carolina. This state has real issues with setting its priorities straight. <_<

The money promised to make repairs and maintenance at Donaldson Center has been lost in a major state budget shortfall. This money was specifically called for in an effort to retain the 1,200 employee force at Lockheed Martin Corp. Now it is anyone's guess as to what they will decide.

The jobless rate jumped across the state last month, but fortunately Greenville County had the 4th lowest rate, indicating its economic strength while being the most populated SC county. Most of the numbers for Upstate counties are not so great though, with all but 2 coming in at a higher jobless rate than the rising state average.

I know how you feel. There are times I wish Columbia weren't located in South Carolina as well; then we wouldn't have the Confederate flag flapping in the air downtown.