Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

The new state budget went into effect on July 1st.

It was created with certain assumptions about the economy.

A record level of tax revenues has been brought in, in fact we would be running at a surplus for last year's budget, but.... the legislature passed a budget with higher than expected revenues, that have not come in.

So in some state budget expenditures, they are not cut, but just the rate of increase has been stalled, or promised money for projects that has already started isn't coming yet, and may not this year.

It's like buying a new car when you think you're getting a $10K raise and officially find out later you're only getting a $7,500 raise, spending the money before we have it.

It's hard to say what this means for the economy, because the private sector is growing overall.

You know, there have been times when I wished Greenville was not located in South Carolina. This state has real issues with setting its priorities straight. <_<

The money promised to make repairs and maintenance at Donaldson Center has been lost in a major state budget shortfall. This money was specifically called for in an effort to retain the 1,200 employee force at Lockheed Martin Corp. Now it is anyone's guess as to what they will decide.

Well this hasn't taken long. :lol: Money has been "found" and a plan worked out to ensure the needed work is done at Donaldson. :thumbsup:

The plan will be announced today. Article from Greenville News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs....NEWS01/70823016

Edited by gsupstate

• 2 weeks later...

:good:

"The availability of Class A space is really drying up," says Brian Reed, research manager for Grubb & Ellis{sodEmoji.|}The Furman Co. "Something's going to have to happen."
This quote is from an article in the current edition of GSA Business Journal. This trend has been happening for quite a long time now and the short term outlook appears to be very bright regarding the addition of new Class A office space within the city.

Another interesting article in the publication highlights the "childish" battle between the state government and local leaders regarding the potential loss of Lockheed and its 1,200 employees in Greenville. :rolleyes:

The Greenville area looks to be going through an engineering shortage and Day & Zimmerman has opened an office in Charlotte to hire engineers in that market, to help satisfy its needs. All local engineeering firms have been hiring over the last year, and unemployment in the engineering sector is at an all time low.

Article from the Greenville News:

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../709060305/1003

That sounds like a good guess. I don't have any numbers to prove it is true, however there certainly are quite a few engineering hubs across the Upstate region. It is nice to see so many global engineering companies operating right here in Greenville. It has been one of our economic strengths over the years and appears to be gaining even greater strength as time goes by. :shades:

Fluor Greenville just keeps winning the projects!!! :thumbsup: This is probably why we have an engineering shortage. Fluor Greenville's workforce is now close to 3,000. :thumbsup:

A new 1 Billion contract for engineering and construction management of LDK Solar in China. The work will be done by the Greenville and Shanghai offices.

http://sanantonio.bizjournals.com/dallas/s...03/daily34.html

Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but Project Elf still appears to be on the table and could make an immediate positive economic impact on the community. In case anyone has forgotten, it is a company who may decide to move their headquarters along with distribution facilities to Greenville.

I had totally forgotten about this. Thanks Skyliner! Do we know who &quot;Project Elf&quot; may be?

Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but Project Elf still appears to be on the table and could make an immediate positive economic impact on the community. In case anyone has forgotten, it is a company who may decide to move their headquarters along with distribution facilities to Greenville.

Speaking of forgotten projects... anyone ever hear anything else about project 'Apple'? :dontknow:

^ Didn't this project turn out to be the Dunkin Donuts franchise headquarters and bakery/distribution center? :dontknow:

There was a component of Project Apple that was going to build a $50? million dollar facility in TR, and employ 200-250? people. Did Dunkin Donuts build something (other than the refurbished Krystal) in TR? (I can't remember the exact numbers.)

I didn't follow the Dunkin story that well, but I know one of their largest franchise operators planned to move their corp headquarters from New York and along with that, build a bakery / distribution center for the Southeast region. I would assume this could employ the 200 to 250 number. Can't remember all the details. :dontknow: Anybody in TR smelled the aroma of fresh donuts baking? :lol:

And this is interesting since Greenville has long held the highest per capita of engineers for a U.S. city. The engineering powerhouse here is continuing to gain strenth, which can only mean that even greater things are sure to follow. :shades:

While I've heard that a good bit, I haven't had anyone confirm that as the case with concrete numbers.

Here's what I pulled from CLARITAS with 2006 data...

Top Ten CSAs* for engineers, scientists, and computer professionals

as a percentage of total workforce

1. San Francisco - 3.42%

2. Denver - 3.24%

3. Washington DC - 3.13%

4. Hartford - 2.94%

5. Raleigh - 2.91%

6. Houston - 2.84%

7. Boston - 2.77%

8. Seattle - 2.66%

9. Dallas - 2.63%

10. Greenville - 2.6%