Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

The resolution also calls the project a "technical support center" for a "major international company." Interesting. What kinds of technical support require over 500 workers?

I know that they don't want to give away key information but I wonder if these sorts of resolutions ever try to obscure the actual type of business. We have been told that VW wanted to build an engine plant for their possible assembly plant (which has been predicted for Huntsville, Al.) Virginia and SC would seem possible locations but Texas seems too far away and technical support doesn't seem to be the right description either. The term "in excess of 500" appears to hint at many more that 500 to me.

If it is 'technical support', then it would seem possible for it to NOT be manufacturing, which would be great. That would enhance its chances to be located downtown. Though I'm not sure $15 million would lend itself to constructing a new building downtown, upfitting the space and furnishing it for 500. I suppose it could be enough to pay rent somewhere downtown, but it would seem difficult to find enough vacant space together for 500 employees... but I guess a new building constructed by a developer and leased to the company could be a possibility... (absolute best possible scenario)

We've heard rumblings about Nuvox adding onto their HQ downtown, but that wouldn't be adding employees so much as it would be consolidating them, would it?

Project Teal which you guys have probably heard about through the media will consist of over 1,000 jobs if it goes through according to WYFF. The City and County of Greenville along with the state of South Carolina are working very hard to make it a reality. :)

I'm glad to hear that the City is involved. It means that a downtown location is possible! :)

According to sources, the company is in the service industry. They are only one step away from confirming they are coming here. Would consist of 2-3 times the amount of jobs that was announced which would mean somewhere between 1,000-1,500 new jobs. Job salary would be $13-$15 an hour.

Edited by citylife

• 2 weeks later...

According to sources, the company is in the service industry. They are only one step away from confirming they are coming here. Would consist of 2-3 times the amount of jobs that was announced which would mean somewhere between 1,000-1,500 new jobs. Job salary would be $13-$15 an hour.

Anyone heard any news on Project Teal?

In more possible job news, Mauldin has a project in play, Project Mesh, that could bring 150 jobs.

Article from GV News:

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs..../806250317/1003

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen this announced anywhere, but Henry Schein will adding up to 200 white collar jobs. Henry Schein is a worldwide medical supply company with a fairly major operation in Greenville. The company is based in Canada. The offices are at Congaree and Patewood, in the tan brick office building opposite Jack in the Box / Rafferty's. If you drive by, you'll see the construction of the additional offices already underway. Apparently a Florida company was just purchased, and Henry Schein will be moving the operations for that company to it's Greenville offices. :thumbsup:

Website for Henry Schein.

http://www.henryschein.com/us-en/Global.aspx

Saw this posted on another site.

This report speaks well of the strength of Greenville's housing market. While most metro areas saw the median sales price of existing single family homes depreciate between 2007 and 2008, Greenville was actually one of the few metros that saw appreciation. 9th in the nation for appreciation at 5.1% Excellent! :thumbsup:

http://rodomino.realtor.org/files/research...Price081408.pdf

They said on WYFF that this was a company with some current operations in Texas. That may be the chief competitor. Also I noticed that the Greenville County resolution mentioned that the company was organized under the laws of California. Could it be a Japanese or Korean company?

• 2 weeks later...

They said on WYFF that this was a company with some current operations in Texas. That may be the chief competitor. Also I noticed that the Greenville County resolution mentioned that the company was organized under the laws of California. Could it be a Japanese or Korean company?

Project Teal is Samsung.