Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

The down economy certainly isn't skipping the Upstate though. Greenville gets a bit of both bad and "okay" news, according to this article. Caterpillar plans to layoff quite a lot of workers due to plummeting demand. The "okay" news is that Greenville does not appear to be participating in the worst of these layoffs. A plant in Mossville, Illinois, is cutting 814 production workers, and two factories in North Carolina will experience an "unspecified number of temporary layoffs." The bad news for Greenville comes in the following quote:

Separately, Caterpillar said it was moving engine assembly, testing and painting operations to a new facility in Seguin, Texas, from Mossville and a facility in Greenville, South Carolina, as part of a long-term strategic plan. Texas officials said the new operation would create about 1,400 jobs.

The Greenville plant will continue to produce boat engines but engine production eventually will cease in Mossville, according to Jim Dugan, a company spokesman.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did any of you know about this? Apparently IBM was looking at Greenville for a 1,300 person "global delivery service center". Greenville was apparently one of two finalist, the other being Dubuque, Iowa. Dubuque landed it. :dontknow:

I never heard a word about this. Was the state government involved at all or were they asleep at the wheel?

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=229813

Did any of you know about this? Apparently IBM was looking at Greenville for a 1,300 person "global delivery service center". Greenville was apparently one of two finalist, the other being Dubuque, Iowa. Dubuque landed it. :dontknow:

I never heard a word about this. Was the state government involved at all or were they asleep at the wheel?

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=229813

Geez! That would have been HUGE! I can't believe we didn't hear about this, but I assume they gave it a good effort.

Since vicupstate works there and didn't even hear about this, maybe IBM was just bluffing to get a better deal out of Dubuque. Wonder if they ever really opened up talks with Greenville?

I'm an IBMer as well and had not heard anything about this. In a company the size of IBM it's not unusual for folks not to know what all is going on (well speaking for myself). To be honest I couldn't tell you what probably 3/4s of the local IBM population does. And they probably can't tell you what I do either.

I think the main thing that I hate about this is that they are locating in their downtown. Would Greenville's location have been downtown too??

No, it would have gone at the Ahold building in Mauldin. I heard about this potential economic development project several weeks ago but didn't know the specifics of it until now.

According to LoHud.com (Lower Hudson Valley, New York), Precision Valve Corporation will be closing a 50+ year old plant in Yonkers and relocating 40-45 jobs to their Travelers Rest plant as they consolidate operations.

The decision was driven by the need to operate under the greater efficiencies afforded in South Carolina and was not a consequence of the current recession, said Bob Reto, vice president of human resources.

"This was a long-term plan," Reto said. Company officials had been discussing alternatives with Yonkers officials for more than a year, he added, but they could not reach a deal.

Update from The Greenville News on Project Teal. It's a go. Will create 300 jobs immediately and 1000 within the next few years. Still no mention of it being Samsung, but we know it is. ;)

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...SINESS/90126034

This will be great for our metro. Another example of how our metro bucks the national trend regarding the poor economy. :thumbsup:

Update from The Greenville News on Project Teal. It's a go. Will create 300 jobs immediately and 1000 within the next few years. Still no mention of it being Samsung, but we know it is. ;)

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...SINESS/90126034

This will be great for our metro. Another example of how our metro bucks the national trend regarding the poor economy. :thumbsup:

Excellent news!!! :thumbsup:

Nice to add another world brand to the area business roll call.

^ They would definitely be a welcomed ICAR tenant. Think they would build their own building, or go into a multi office spec building? At 250 employees, this could be a nice sized building.

There will only be four to five employees in Greenville. The rest will be located throughout North America. Their headquarters will be located off of Pelham Road near Michelin.

I hate it when companies cite their reasons for locating here as being downtown Greenville. Yet, these same companies locate in some suburban space in Greer.

There's plenty of companies downtown with a small workforce that occupy very little space, so it's not their size. I know they work with BMW, but seriously, that's an extremely easy drive. These companies that are lured by our great downtown, how about they do their own part to make it better? Or, they could just operate on the outside and use the amenities for free...

I'm glad they're here, either way.

This news indirectly affects Greenville: Hubbell Lighting is experiencing a serious impact as the economy has pounded the construction industry into the ground, and thus the lighting industry. Both hourly and salaried employees are being laid off at plants like the one in Christiansburg, VA.

"The lighting industry is being hit really hard right now," said Steve Nail, vice president of human resources for Hubbell Lighting. "Everybody just stopped building ... and quite frankly '09 doesn't look like a great year for lighting."

Nail said the company is re-evaluating staffing on a monthly basis and that companywide every plant saw reductions last month.