Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

Agreed. But, will ICAR provide enough jobs for the area as it grows (or even assist with the growth)? It seems we will need to continue to attract new companies that are independant of ICAR in order to continue to diversify.

ICAR will be a catalyst for growth and will attract companies based on the expertise that ICAR provides, much like the research at UT led to job creation among big time companies like Dell, Sun Microsystems, etc.

One article says that "the company says it intends to invest $350 million in the plant and potentially hire 1,550 workers." That's a far cry from the 10,000 figure that was thrown around.

10,000 is the number for direct/indirect jobs that would be created not just the number of jobs the plant would create. When it comes to Carbon Motors, it's one of those "i'll believe it when I see it" things in my opinion. I still have serious questions about their financing and how that's going to work. I would much rather have BMW investing in a new plant in our area than a start up company that might not even make it. Besides, production isn't even supposed to start until 2012. That's over two years away. By that time, the economy will be turned around and unemployment will be back to normal levels again.

Another world brand joins the roster that has clustered in the Upstate (BMW, Michelin, Timken, Bosch, Adidas, Hubbell, Fluor, GE, Bausch & Lomb, etc, etc, etc).

The sign for Samsung officially went up today as they ramp up Greenville operations. In addition, Holland Road is now being four laned in front of Bloom to handle the additional daily traffic. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

IMG_7334.jpg

Edited by gsupstate

The vast majority of their (the "Greenville Groove") games were scheduled at noon or mid to late afternoon. Since Greenville is a working city, those times were terrible to attract a larger audience. Additionally, the team never tried to raise support in the community by using effective marketing methods. Most people who would have supported the franchise never knew when they were actually playing games at home. I even accidently saw them play a home game on ESPN one time and it looked like the total number of fans in attendance could be counted on two hands. That was an embarrassment -- moreso, considering the fact that the Groove franchise was blessed with the very first female to coach a men's pro sports team, Stephanie Ready. The team won the NBDL championship during their only season in existence. That happened to be the same year that the Greenville Grrrowl won the Kelly Cup in the ECHL.

Edited by Skyliner

The vast majority of their (the "Greenville Groove") games were scheduled at noon or mid to late afternoon. Since Greenville is a working city, those times were terrible to attract a larger audience.

I remember this as well, and I could never figure out why they were scheduled at those times. It would take a MUCH larger city to support a sports team at 2 oclock in the afternoon. I don't think Charlotte could support such a team. Hopefully botht the football team and the new B-ball team will market and offer afordable prices for tickets. They should be a success if they do.

I also checked out the league website. With the exception of Wilmington, the other cities with teams are much larger markets. This could be quite the honor for Gville to get this type of team, and it could provide a lot of exposure for the area.

Edited by distortedlogic

The vast majority of their (the "Greenville Groove") games were scheduled at noon or mid to late afternoon. Since Greenville is a working city, those times were terrible to attract a larger audience. Additionally, the team never tried to raise support in the community by using effective marketing methods. Most people who would have supported the franchise never knew when they were actually playing games at home. I even accidently saw them play a home game on ESPN one time and it looked like the total number of fans in attendance could be counted on two hands. That was an embarrassment -- moreso, considering the fact that the Groove franchise was blessed with the very first female to coach a men's pro sports team, Stephanie Ready. The team won the NBDL championship during their only season in existence. That happened to be the same year that the Greenville Grrrowl won the Kelly Cup in the ECHL.

These are all excellent points. What's funny is that the National Basketball Development League (NBDL) actually moved their headquarters to Greenville following the league's first season. It was a nice coup for Greenville. But soon thereafter, the team folded due to poor attendance and the league offices were moved as well.

I thought we had a thread about NEXT, but couldn't find it. Anyway, since this facility promises to have a positive economic impact thought it should go here. Good article from the Greenville News about some of the first tenants moving into NEXT.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...h-entrepreneurs

The sign has gone up on the NEXT building. I hope to see NEXT have some major impact on the area over the years to come. :thumbsup:

http://nextgreenville.com/

IMG_7391.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Greenville garnered a few mentions in Business Facilities magazine's 2009 Metro Rankings, and was the only metro in the state to do so:

#10 - MSAs with highest concentration of employment in drugs/pharmaceuticals among large MSAs

#3 - Top metro manufacturing hubs (pop <300K)

#1 - Top metro economic growth potential (pop <200K)

While I was dressing this morning had the TV on WYFF and heard bits and pieces about some company moving their headquarters from New York state (I believe) to Greenville. Sounded like the company produces bio-fuel from waste? Anyone heard about this? Haven't seen anything online about it. Sounds like the kind of forward thinking "green" company that will be good for the area. Anyone have details?

While I was dressing this morning had the TV on WYFF and heard bits and pieces about some company moving their headquarters from New York state (I believe) to Greenville. Sounded like the company produces bio-fuel from waste? Anyone heard about this? Haven't seen anything online about it. Sounds like the kind of forward thinking "green" company that will be good for the area. Anyone have details?

Yes indeed: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/29650-new-...s-to-greenville

Are they building a new building or doing a renovation/upfit? For $1mm, I assume the latter.

I'm pretty sure it's a renovation. Groundbreaking=upfit of building. Groundbreaking date for upfit of building subject to change of course.

Edited by citylife

Looks like more green jobs in Greenville. A South Korean electric car manufacturer who has plans to open a plant in the US has set-up Greenville as one of the first two "RAS" areas, which I believe stands for "regional assembly and sales". These cars look like they will be assembled regionally. I'm guessing. The article is bit confusing. Can anyone shed light on this? Anyone know about this? :dontknow:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillyinc/59798257.html

Looks like more green jobs in Greenville. A South Korean electric car manufacturer who has plans to open a plant in the US has set-up Greenville as one of the first two "RAS" areas, which I believe stands for "regional assembly and sales". These cars look like they will be assembled regionally. I'm guessing. The article is bit confusing. Can anyone shed light on this? Anyone know about this? :dontknow:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillyinc/59798257.html

I am confident this will be successful. After all, South Korea's got Seoul. :lol: