Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

Looks like more green jobs in Greenville. A South Korean electric car manufacturer who has plans to open a plant in the US has set-up Greenville as one of the first two "RAS" areas, which I believe stands for "regional assembly and sales". These cars look like they will be assembled regionally. I'm guessing. The article is bit confusing. Can anyone shed light on this? Anyone know about this? :dontknow:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillyinc/59798257.html

Hmmm...I knew Greenville was in the running for a plant/RAS area, but didn't realize they had already landed it: http://www.gsabusiness.com/news/28385-anot...ny-eyes-upstate

Some information about CT&T:

They are going to build in Pa., but they don't have all the contracts signed and won't confirm that until they are.

Greenville looks good to go for some kind of investment, I figure, though can't say for sure. The Pa. papers were getting their information about Greenville from the Pa. governor's office, and it's probably correct, but the company won't confirm right now.

I'm guessing Greenville could get the most significant manufacturing facility (250 jobs), the HQ, the research and development center or any of the three, or all three. I suspect they're playing off Greenville and SC with wherever they're thinking about going in Georgia to get the best incentive package.

The senior marketing guy for the company in the US is from Greenville. He's using PR folks from Greenville. They've reserved a corporate name at the Sec. of State's office in Columbia. (CT&T Holdings). All good signs.

Edited by citylife

It didn't appear that anyone has posted this so I'll add it to the list of potential developments (oops if it's posted in another thread). An electric bus manufacturer is considering building a plant in greenville. They'll make the decision in Nov. and the plant is expected to employ 500 over the course of 3 years.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/article/20...e-for-new-plant

The 11th annual Design Structure Matrix Conference is returning to the US after eight years in Europe. Clemson University's mechanical engineering department will host the International systems conference in Greenville at CU-ICAR on October 11-13.

Last year's conference was in Stockholm, Sweden, 2007's was in Munich, Germany, and next year's will be in Cambridge, UK. I think Greenville is in with some great company! :w00t:

From: http://www.dsm-conference.org/ (Venue and accomodation)

Venue

The conference will take place at the CU-ICAR Center at the Campbell Graduate Engineering Center. The venue is located close to Greenville, SC, which is about 6 miles away.

:huh::dontknow: I could have sworn CU-ICAR was located in the city limits. When did that change? :silly: Did Mauldin annex Greenville?

Edited by citylife

It didn't appear that anyone has posted this so I'll add it to the list of potential developments (oops if it's posted in another thread). An electric bus manufacturer is considering building a plant in greenville. They'll make the decision in Nov. and the plant is expected to employ 500 over the course of 3 years.

Very good to see. 60K as the average salary, would definitely be good for manufacturing jobs.

While it sounds like this would be a great company to have in the Upstate, this part worries me a little:

I suspect they're playing off Greenville and SC with wherever they're thinking about going in Georgia to get the best incentive package.

I hate it when companies do that. I believe in incentives, but sometimes it can get a bit ridiculous.

Hey just read this in The State online. It was saying something about Bi-Lo was going to be or is looking to be bought out be Food Lions parent company out of Belgium.

http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/971791.html

Could be interesting.

This will be interesting to watch. If it should become official, my predictions:

- Corp office in Mauldin closes with all functions moved to Food Lion.

- Distro center in Mauldin....50/50 chance of staying.

- Stores: with 5 plus Bloom stores in Greenville, I see a couple of other better located Bi-Lo's assuming the Bloom name, with the remainder taking the Food Lion name. Not sure about the Bi-Lo Super Centers......they seem too big for the Bloom format, but too nice for the Food Lion format. :dontknow:

Whatever happens, if this deal is completed, there will be job loss here. No doubt about that.

This will be interesting to watch. If it should become official, my predictions:

- Stores: with 5 plus Bloom stores in Greenville, I see a couple of other better located Bi-Lo's assuming the Bloom name, with the remainder taking the Food Lion name. Not sure about the Bi-Lo Super Centers......they seem too big for the Bloom format, but too nice for the Food Lion format. :dontknow:

Whatever happens, if this deal is completed, there will be job loss here. No doubt about that.

Proof of the bolded part? When Delhaize bought out Hannaford - the corporate office stayed in Scarborough, ME and was not downsized or merged. I really love how everybody is saying jobs will be lost here when they have no proof of that what-so-ever. :rolleyes:

Proof of the bolded part? When Delhaize bought out Hannaford - the corporate office stayed in Scarborough, ME and was not downsized or merged. I really love how everybody is saying jobs will be lost here when they have no proof of that what-so-ever. :rolleyes:

G-man, are they not teaching you logic / critical thinking in college?

Hannaford stores were hundreds of miles away from Food Lion in their own distinct region. It made sense to leave them a division. Bi-Lo and Food Lion overlap in almost every market. Food Lion will not compete against itself.

But if logic doesn't work, try Google. Numerous articles already state that Bi-Lo will merge into the Food Lion operation and not remain a separate division.

I was driving on the main road in ICAR this afternoon, looked down into the collaboration and there was a bus.....on closer inspection, it was a Proterra bus. It was parked in front in the Clemson building. Anyone know more?

To see what a Proterra bus looks like.....their website:

http://www.proterraonline.com/

I was driving on the main road in ICAR this afternoon, looked down into the collaboration and there was a bus.....on closer inspection, it was a Proterra bus. It was parked in front in the Clemson building. Anyone know more?

To see what a Proterra bus looks like.....their website:

http://www.proterraonline.com/

Very interesting, indeed! Hmm. :shades:

G-man, are they not teaching you logic / critical thinking in college?

Hannaford stores were hundreds of miles away from Food Lion in their own distinct region. It made sense to leave them a division. Bi-Lo and Food Lion overlap in almost every market. Food Lion will not compete against itself.

But if logic doesn't work, try Google. Numerous articles already state that Bi-Lo will merge into the Food Lion operation and not remain a separate division.

The Wall Street Journal said they would keep the Bi-Lo name. :dontknow:

Bi-Lo will be an asset for Food Lion to strengthen its position in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Charlotte, Augusta, Columbia, and Charleston trade markets. The continuance of the Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo banners is to be determined. Some stores may be rebranded as Bloom, Bottom Dollar, Harvey's or Reid's. Harvey's and Reid's are common in southern South Carolina and southeastern Georgia.

Bi-Lo no longer owns and operates the distribution center in Mauldin. It is property of C & S Wholesale Grocers. Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo stores would be supplied by Food Lion's distribution centers in Elloree or Salisbury, NC unless the distrbution center in Mauldin is reacquired for Food Lion.

Several Bi-Lo, Bloom and Food Lion locations are likely to close because of adjacent locations and low performers.

Bi-Lo: Greenville (Anderson Road, North Plesantburg Drive), Seneca (Rochester Highway), Taylors

Bloom: Greenville (South Plesantburg Drive), Greer (West Wade Hampton Boulevard)

Food Lion: Greenwood (SC 72 bypass), Inman, Lyman, Spartanburg (Cedar Springs Road, Reidville Road), Union, Woodruff

Edited by BoDragon

I'd like to see the N. Main Bilo turn into a Bloom.

Bi-Lo will be an asset for Food Lion to strengthen its position in the Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, Charlotte, Augusta, Columbia, and Charleston trade markets. The continuance of the Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo banners is to be determined. Some stores may be rebranded as Bloom, Bottom Dollar, Harvey's or Reid's. Harvey's and Reid's are common in southern South Carolina and southeastern Georgia.

Bi-Lo no longer owns and operates the distribution center in Mauldin. It is property of C & S Wholesale Grocers. Bi-Lo and Super Bi-Lo stores would be supplied by Food Lion's distribution centers in Elloree or Salisbury, NC unless the distrbution center in Mauldin is reacquired for Food Lion.

Several Bi-Lo, Bloom and Food Lion locations are likely to close because of adjacent locations and low performers.

Bi-Lo: Greenville (Anderson Road, North Plesantburg Drive), Seneca (Rochester Highway), Taylors

Bloom: Greenville (South Plesantburg Drive), Greer (West Wade Hampton Boulevard)

Food Lion: Greenwood (SC 72 bypass), Inman, Lyman, Spartanburg (Cedar Springs Road, Reidville Road), Union, Woodruff

Are you saying those stores would close? I would think the would close the Greer Bi-lo on Wade Hampton before the Bloom on Wade Hampton. Actually I could see them close both Greer Bi-Lo's on Wade Hampton. The one next to Home Depot and the one at HWY 357. Also the Taylors Bi-Lo on Wade Hampton I think is set to close even if this food lion thing doesn't happen. I think their are a number of stores up for renewal that will be let go. DDR has a few that they have put available for lease the currently are still operating and Taylors in one of them.

Also at South Pleasantburg wouldn't you think they would close the old Bi-lo instead of the Bloom?

I'd like to see the N. Main Bilo turn into a Bloom.

I'd love to see that as well. Great idea. :thumbsup::thumbsup: With all the talk of a Bloom around the North Main / Stone Avenue area....this would be a ready made spot. The square footage seems to be typical Bloom. A little remodel and there you go.