Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

^^^Google is most likely going to build a facility in the Charleston and Columbia areas. I don't think this is Google, but they might come here in the near future. That would be cool if it was Google though. This announcement might be for something coming to ICAR.

Edited by g-man430

I'm guessing it is not as large as BMW, but probably a fair-sized company along I-85. In case you hadn't noticed, Sanford usually doesn't make an appearance for any new downtown Greenville developments - even as nice as The Peacock Hotel & Spa will be for the state. My guess is that this could be the new company gsupstate hinted at awhile back, possibly bringing 400 new jobs along I-85. Who knows, but it certainly sounds positive. :thumbsup:

I would put my money on gsupstate/Skyliner's idea. If it were ICAR related, I would have thought it would be at that campus. Sanford or any Governor would not show up for a Hotel announcement, so that would be why he hasn't appeared for anything DT.

In case you hadn't noticed, Sanford usually doesn't make an appearance for any new downtown Greenville developments - even as nice as The Peacock Hotel & Spa will be for the state.

I don't see why the governor should show up for run-of-the-mill developments like that; that would take up entirely too much of his time, considering all of the similar projects going on throughout the state.

At any rate, this sounds good. I'd say it's something along the lines of the South Financial campus in order for Sanford to make a guest appearance.

Possibly a big GSP announcemenmt? Gman has been talking about JetBlue...

Though I am sure it would have to be bigger than just adding a couple of flights. Do we have a project name for this, perhaps "Project Gman" :silly:

Adding flights would not warrant a Governor's visit, unless it was a HUB operation. Plus, it would be at the airport. To have the Gov, I'm thinking 300 jobs and $100mm at a minimum.

Possibly a big GSP announcemenmt? Gman has been talking about JetBlue...

Though I am sure it would have to be bigger than just adding a couple of flights. Do we have a project name for this, perhaps "Project Gman" :silly:

I am 100% positive it is not GSP, because if it was the meeting would be held at the airport and it would not include the governor unless it was for a major airline coming in to build a hub. "Project g-man"-I like the sound of that. :)

Adding flights would not warrant a Governor's visit, unless it was a HUB operation. Plus, it would be at the airport. To have the Gov, I'm thinking 300 jobs and $100mm at a minimum.

I think it's going to be more than 300 jobs and 100 million dollars. When Genesis Printing announced they were coming here, the governor didn't show up and I think the last time he came to Greenville for a job announcement was when South Financial said they were going to build a new headquarters campus here, so it could be "BIG."

Edited by g-man430

I don't see why the governor should show up for run-of-the-mill developments like that; that would take up entirely too much of his time, considering all of the similar projects going on throughout the state.

At any rate, this sounds good. I'd say it's something along the lines of the South Financial campus in order for Sanford to make a guest appearance.

The Greenville News article says it's not the biggest thing to come to Greenville, but it's important and will require the cooperation of many bodies in Greenville County. It's apparently NOT ICAR, Michelin, or GE related. Hmmm, BMW wasn't mentioned?

So it's not the biggest, but it requires cooperation. Maybe it's the announcement that some type of rail service is going to be built in the upstate (Greenville Co).

Although it is highly unlikely, has anyone thought about the possibility that there may be a connection between this announcement and the groundbreaking of Pinnacle on Main? I'm not suggesting that the two projects are one, but that somehow the could be linked... :dontknow:

I doubt if it is downtown. I've seen no indication that the City plays a part. With Butch Kirven as the local elected point man, it is most likely to be in the county.

From the Greenville News:

<< Kirven said he wasn't at liberty to share details, but he said the announcement involves an expansion of an industry that already exists in the county.>>

The Greenville News article says it's not the biggest thing to come to Greenville, but it's important and will require the cooperation of many bodies in Greenville County. It's apparently NOT ICAR, Michelin, or GE related. Hmmm, BMW wasn't mentioned?

So it's not the biggest, but it requires cooperation. Maybe it's the announcement that some type of rail service is going to be built in the upstate (Greenville Co).

That is a definite possibility. I'd also be inclined to consider the possibility that this is related to Greenville County's new tourism master plan (TRAC plan), although such an announcement would probably not bring the governor to downtown Greenville. Anyone remember when George Hincapie planned to make his big announcement?

That is a definite possibility. I'd also be inclined to consider the possibility that this is related to Greenville County's new tourism master plan (TRAC plan), although such an announcement would probably not bring the governor to downtown Greenville. Anyone remember when George Hincapie planned to make his big announcement?

Okay, going a bit crazy with ideas here, but what if this has to do with the Cycling community, an already large and growing industry locally. This announcement could be what I have been hoping to hear - that USA Cycling has decided to sign a long-term contract to hold the professional championship road races here. Perhaps even add other events to the cycling rundown?

Another possibility (I know, speculation once again :) ) could be something relating to golf. Perhaps Gary Player plans to bring a massive invitational tournament to Greenville?

Of course, the auto industry is already pretty strong here, so maybe Rolls-Royce? Certainly not the largest thing in Greenville, but definitely significant.

Speculation is all we have to go on at this point, and it can be lots of fun. :thumbsup:

Edited by Skyliner

I think it's going to be more than 300 jobs and 100 million dollars. When Genesis Printing announced they were coming here, the governor didn't show up and I think the last time he came to Greenville for a job announcement was when South Financial said they were going to build a new headquarters campus here, so it could be "BIG."

Thus the word "minimum" in my original post. 300 high tech or high paying jobs would warrrant a visit from the Governor. Did Genesis create 300 jobs? Even if it was that many, that is not a high paying or high profile type of industry.