Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

On March 22, 2017 at 0:37 PM, SVL said:

http://www.defenseone.com/business/2017/03/lockheed-move-f-16-production-line-south-carolina/136365/?oref=d-topstory

The F-16 production line in South Carolina will be small, but is still expected to create between 200 and 250 new jobs in Greenville.

This isn't a done deal yet: https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/news/lockheed-may-move-f-16-production-greenville/

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2017 at 5:20 AM, vicupstate said:

I think that is a mistake in the article. They must have been thinking of BB&T being in the ONE building.

Apparently, they do lease space at ONE. The employees moving into 125 E. Broad are mostly already DT in Riverplace. Still, they are adding locations through mergers.  The bank HQ is in Blairsville, GA, population 652.   

Thanks for the encouragement Skyliner... we work very hard to break and cover all the news you all chat about on a daily basis. And as Vicupstate pointed out above, it is correct. Thier executive offices will stay in the One building. They were there well before BB&T ever made its announcement. Please do not lump Community Journals in with the Greenville News. Currently working on this...hopefully we get our details right ;) http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/3950?fileID=14439 - Ryan Johnston - Publisher of UBJ. 

Edited by Upstatescre
  • Like 2

On 4/26/2017 at 0:45 PM, Upstatescre said:

Thanks for the encouragement Skyliner... we work very hard to break and cover all the news you all chat about on a daily basis. And as Vicupstate pointed out above, it is correct. Thier executive offices will stay in the One building. They were there well before BB&T ever made its announcement. Please do not lump Community Journals in with the Greenville News. Currently working on this...hopefully we get our details right ;) http://sc-greenville.civicplus.com/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/3950?fileID=14439 - Ryan Johnston - Publisher of UBJ. 

I appreciate the focus of your reporting. Keep up the good work!

However, speaking of getting details right-- there are typos in the online edition of your UBJ article on the forestry industry (specifically a dollar sign in front of the number of jobs). 

• 1 month later...

Greenville Health System is joining forces with Palmetto Health in Columbia, creating the largest health system in South Carolina, officials said Thursday.

The newly created and yet-to-be-named company will see 1.2 million patients a year, generate $3.9 billion in annual net revenue and become one of the 50 largest health systems in the nation, officials said.

The arrangement also makes the new company the largest private employer in South Carolina with more than 28,000 employees, including 2,800 physicians.

No money is changing hands in the arrangement, which is an affiliation, or partnership, to form a single parent company to guide the strategy and financial vision of the organization, said GHS CEO Michael Riordan.

“A merger assumes one is merging into the other and that’s not the case,” he said. “Both GHS and Palmetto Health will stay as separate legal entities.”

Frances Ellison chair of the Strategic Coordinating Organization board which governs GHS, said the deal represents “two equal partners coming together to create a new company.”

I hope this doesn't lead to reduction of employment here.   I wonder if the local SC House/Senate delegations will have a response to this.  

34 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

I hope this doesn't lead to reduction of employment here.   I wonder if the local SC House/Senate delegations will have a response to this.  

I don't see why it would as both healthcare providers are located in two separate metro areas hours apart and serving different patients. They'll also remain two separate legal entities and invest $1 billion over the next five years according to the Greenville News.

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, gman430 said:

Chartspan adding another 300 jobs downtown: http://grnol.co/2rA1jri

Good to hear. A few years back we had a rash of job announcements of hundreds of jobs each, but it seems we've really been in a drought lately. All the big announcements have been in Charleston and Midlands areas. We're going to need some jobs for all the people moving here. I am a little surprised we haven't been able to land any sizeable relocations DT recently. Need to get those marketers out again and bring in some big announcements.

7 hours ago, Jet-set said:

I fail to see the reasoning behind a decision like this unless there is some other announcement that isn't being released.

Is this a work-around for the governance change they tried to do earlier in the year?

I think they already got around that at GHS. The merger does have to be approved by Richland County Council. I would expect some blowback from them, but they will acquiesce in the end I think.  

20 hours ago, Jet-set said:

I fail to see the reasoning behind a decision like this unless there is some other announcement that isn't being released.

Is this a work-around for the governance change they tried to do earlier in the year?

They accomplished the change, GHS is a nonprofit corporation.

• 2 weeks later...