Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

The building is, I think, originally a 60's-era retail building: it was a Sears back as far as I can remember up till HM opened; then JP Stevens before Canal Ins. So I imagine, with that kind of acreage and the building's placement on it, that it'll be demo'd and something appropriately dense will replace it.

4 hours ago, Exile said:

The building is, I think, originally a 60's-era retail building: it was a Sears back as far as I can remember up till HM opened; then JP Stevens before Canal Ins. So I imagine, with that kind of acreage and the building's placement on it, that it'll be demo'd and something appropriately dense will replace it.

Yes an old department store -Original Sears building I think. Remember the escalators when I was a kid.  I think it would be sad to tear it down and replace it with  another shoe box apartment building. Love to see renovated and include some retail again like a small urban Target with apartments on the upper floors. 

Edited by vistatiger
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, vistatiger said:

Yes an old department store -Original Sears building I think. Remember the escalators when I was a kid.  I think it would be sad to tear it down and replace it with  another shoe box apartment building. Love to see renovated and include some retail again like a small urban Target with apartments on the upper floors. 

I agree it would be sad but I’ve seen plans online already if rerouting column street to line up with the Wade Hampton light so I think the building’s days are numbered. Plus it’s layout on the land doesn’t really lend to good urban design. I once wished windows would be put in and it would be renovated into a huge food hall place, kinda like Ponce City Market, but alas. 

13 hours ago, johnpro318 said:

I agree it would be sad but I’ve seen plans online already if rerouting column street to line up with the Wade Hampton light so I think the building’s days are numbered. Plus it’s layout on the land doesn’t really lend to good urban design. I once wished windows would be put in and it would be renovated into a huge food hall place, kinda like Ponce City Market, but alas. 

Yes Ponce City Market is nice or something like this in downtown Lexington Ky. Just hope it doesn't include another full on supermarket. They need to let the nice  ones we already have DT (Publix and Teeter) do well.

https://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Target-to-hire-70-workers-for-new-downtown-Lexington-store-510016711.html

Edited by vistatiger

Greenville on the short list for a major corporate HQ: https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/greenville-on-us-hq-shortlist-for-transcom-a-global-customer-support-provider/article_5524e018-334e-11ec-96d0-d763fc5cb342.html If they can land it, this along with UCB and Canal will be big for the city as a whole. I really hope they go downtown if they pick us. 

Transcom, a global customer and technical support provider, could soon announce a planned North American headquarters in Greenville.

The company is still considering a “couple” of cities, according its head of North American operations, but declined to specify where or exactly how many. An official announcement is expected before the end of the year. The search, which began in the spring, initially included about 125 potential locations. Transcom representatives visited Greenville in May and were in the area again in mid-October.

The Transcom careers webpage lists an open position for a trainer with a requirement that applicants be “located close to our site in Greenville, South Carolina.”  That job was also posted on LinkedIn around Oct. 22 with the position location listed as “Greenville, South Carolina.” Web searches show two other open positions in Greenville on the Transcom website active and accepting applicants but not directly linked from elsewhere, including client services manager/vice president of client services and recruiting manager.

Additionally, a Transcom post on job website Indeed.com about two months ago sought a human resources director “onsite at our Greenville, South Carolina location that is currently under construction and planned to open at the end of the current year.” It indicates the position was filled. A landing page on the Transcom applications website shows the posting as inactive.

Transcom Worldwide AB, based in Stockholm, Sweden, has roughly 30,000 employees in about two dozen countries. The company offers a wide range of remote business process services, including customer interaction, technical support, sales and credit management services, according to its website. It currently has about 150 clients and claims 1.5 million customer interactions each day in up to 33 languages.

The finalists shared two primary attributes — an existing pool of prospective employees, and a convenient and attractive area for clients to visit. About 300 employees will be hired to open the new location, increasing to 500 within 12 to 18 months. Berryman said the long-term vision could expand to 1,000 employees at multiple sites within a single business park.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/20/2021 at 2:25 PM, SVL said:

On 10/20/2021 at 2:54 PM, gman430 said:

Their current location is going to be redeveloped into a mixed use project that coordinates with Northpointe.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:57 PM, SVL said:

This is a win win for not only downtown office space but also the Stone/N Main area.  It's becoming more and more walkable and redeveloping their old space will only add to that.

On 10/20/2021 at 3:59 PM, GvilleSC said:

That's a great point, SVL.

I hope the redevelopment of the Canal site is nicer aesthetically than Northpointe. 

On 10/20/2021 at 4:12 PM, Exile said:

On 10/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, vistatiger said:

On 10/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, johnpro318 said:

The redevelopment of 400 East Stone Avenue would be nice, and would compliment NorthPointe.  

Realigning Column Street is overdue.  There has been access from East Stone Avenue to southbound North Church Street.  Any realignment would cause the necessary closure of Mitchell Street.

The infrastructure bill passed. What it means for SC over the next five years: 

• $4.9 billion for improving the state’s roads and bridges
  • $366 million for public transportation
  • $70 million to expand the state’s network of electric vehicle charging stations
  • $100 million to expand access to broadband
  • $18.3 million to help protect against cyberattacks
  • $510 million to improve drinking water quality in the state
  • $161 million for airport infrastructure
Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SVL said:

Always great to see jobs and office space being absorbed. Certainly, I'd love to see higher paying jobs (not sure what the average salary will be, but I can guess) and a more urban location. But, I do recognize that there will certainly be people qualified for this work and the office space is available for the taking. So, welcome to Greenville! 

• 2 weeks later...

Proterra announces Greer expansion

With an initial investment of $76 million, the company will eventually bring more than 200 jobs, according to Proterra’s release.  The battery systems factory will launch in the back half of 2022 and, by 2025, will have expanded to support the production of other systems needed for the company’s medium- and heavy duty EV and equipment.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/proterra-announces-greer-expansion/

• Like 3

Just announced: KIYATEC to take over former Chartspan location in downtown Greenville

Cancer-testing company KIYATEC will be taking over the former Chartpsanlocation at 2 N. Main Street, at the corner of Main and Washington Streets in downtown Greenville.

The move positions the growing company, which specializes in proprietary cancer-testing technology originally spun out of Clemson University, as the first anchor tenant in downtown’s new Innovation District.

KIYATEC’s technology uses living cancer cells from surgical or biopsy tissue to create a replica tumor outside of the body, one that is unique to the patient. This ex vivo 3d cell culture technology — “ex vivo” meaning “out of the body” — allows for testing of different therapies and treatments without risking the patient’s health.

KIYATEC CEO Matt Gevaert said the move to downtown Greenville will support the company’s plans to more than triple its workforce in Greenville County in the near future, from 20 jobs to 91, while investing more than $5 million.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/kiyatec-to-take-over-former-chartspan-location-in-downtown-greenville-sc/

I’m excited to hear that an innovative company such as Kiyatec is expanding in Greenville, but can we have a moment of silence for this beauty since I can assume it’s officially dead if they’re now going to occupy ChartSpan’s space?

298C500D-9339-4F80-8BB4-E40934D87BD5.jpeg

Edited by GVLover
  • Like 1

Reflecting on recent relocations and job announcements to the CBD, I'm interested to see how this reflects in the office vacancy numbers. Additionally, the day-time workforce should assist the filling of restaurant & retail spaces (and prevent further closures).  Whether directly through recruitment or just through making an enticing environment, Greenville is doing well at attracting jobs into downtown. 

Has anyone moved into the Canvas tower? United Community Bank will vacate some space when their new HQ opens. I wonder how much more space needs to be absorbed for a developer to make a serious move on any new office space construction? I wouldn't expect anything large, but likely the proposed building at the "North of Broad" district or something of a similar size at County Square.

Edited by GvilleSC

On 12/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, GVLover said:

Just announced: KIYATEC to take over former Chartspan location in downtown Greenville

Cancer-testing company KIYATEC will be taking over the former Chartpsanlocation at 2 N. Main Street, at the corner of Main and Washington Streets in downtown Greenville.

The move positions the growing company, which specializes in proprietary cancer-testing technology originally spun out of Clemson University, as the first anchor tenant in downtown’s new Innovation District.

KIYATEC’s technology uses living cancer cells from surgical or biopsy tissue to create a replica tumor outside of the body, one that is unique to the patient. This ex vivo 3d cell culture technology — “ex vivo” meaning “out of the body” — allows for testing of different therapies and treatments without risking the patient’s health.

KIYATEC CEO Matt Gevaert said the move to downtown Greenville will support the company’s plans to more than triple its workforce in Greenville County in the near future, from 20 jobs to 91, while investing more than $5 million.

https://upstatebusinessjournal.com/square-feet/kiyatec-to-take-over-former-chartspan-location-in-downtown-greenville-sc/

I’m excited to hear that an innovative company such as Kiyatec is expanding in Greenville, but can we have a moment of silence for this beauty since I can assume it’s officially dead if they’re now going to occupy ChartSpan’s space?

298C500D-9339-4F80-8BB4-E40934D87BD5.jpeg

Rats, I really loved this one.  With an architecture school nearby, I was hoping to see more buildings like this by now.  Our past Architecture sets as apart in some ways, makes us less cookie-cutter and is part of what adds to tourism and businesses deciding to locate here. Future architecture has the same potential.

• 2 weeks later...