Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

• 1 month later...

Building permits and inspections broke records in the city of Greenville in 2021, signaling a development boom and strong recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. 

It was "a banner year" in 2021 for Greenville's growth, said assistant city manager Shannon Lavrin, who has a background in city planning.

And the growth isn't expected to slow anytime soon. 

The city issued 7,140 building permits in 2021, a new record high according to data shared by the city with The Greenville News.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Building permits and inspections broke records in the city of Greenville in 2021, signaling a development boom and strong recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. 

It was "a banner year" in 2021 for Greenville's growth, said assistant city manager Shannon Lavrin, who has a background in city planning.

And the growth isn't expected to slow anytime soon. 

The city issued 7,140 building permits in 2021, a new record high according to data shared by the city with The Greenville News.

And now I find myself wishing we'd tap the brakes a bit, it feels like we're starting to grow too fast. We're already seeing the impacts of greater traffic, harder road maintenance, increasing crime, homelessness, etc. The last thing I want to see Greenville become is another run-of-the-mill town/city  with all the same problems and lessening quality of life of so many other areas.

12 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

And now I find myself wishing we'd tap the brakes a bit, it feels like we're starting to grow too fast. We're already seeing the impacts of greater traffic, harder road maintenance, increasing crime, homelessness, etc. The last thing I want to see Greenville become is another run-of-the-mill town/city  with all the same problems and lessening quality of life of so many other areas.

You can't stop people wanting to live in a place. That is a false option.

All you can do is direct the growth in a way that creates a livable city. You have to ride the wave which I think so far at least the city of Greenville has done a pretty decent job.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Horatio Nelson said:

All you can do is direct the growth in a way that creates a livable city. You have to ride the wave which I think so far at least the city of Greenville has done a pretty decent job.

Exactly. And if you stop home building growth, it will cause prices and inflation to go up even higher than what it already is. Personally, I love all of the growth here and hope it continues. The more people that move here the better chance we have of landing new air service out of GSP along with a new signature high rise downtown. I want Greenville to have the same growth and recognition that Austin, Charlotte and Nashville have.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Unfortunately, I think it's too late. Greenville's addiction to unmanaged growth (along with a complete unwillingness to address traffic and public transportation concerns) will lead to its downfall into just another sprawly asphalt jungle. It sounds dramatic, but it's gonna happen.

19 hours ago, Horatio Nelson said:

Not saying to stop people from coming, that's impossible. BUT; maybe we should lay off the horn tooting and quest to be on all the "Best of" lists. There is almost nothing good to come from overexposure and rapid growth; that's just my opinion.

17 hours ago, StrangeCock said:

Unfortunately, I think it's too late. Greenville's addiction to unmanaged growth (along with a complete unwillingness to address traffic and public transportation concerns) will lead to its downfall into just another sprawly asphalt jungle. It sounds dramatic, but it's gonna happen.

And that's my fear. Another increasingly rapid growing city that used to be unique and manageable, only to become another overcrowded area that looks like all the others.

19 hours ago, gman430 said:

Exactly. And if you stop home building growth, it will cause prices and inflation to go up even higher than what it already is. Personally, I love all of the growth here and hope it continues. The more people that move here the better chance we have of landing new air service out of GSP along with a new signature high rise downtown. I want Greenville to have the same growth and recognition that Austin, Charlotte and Nashville have.

I know I may want different things for Greenville than other people, but as I've said before, I hope this NEVER happens. I hope Greenville remains different, smaller, and more manageable than those. If I wanted one of those cities I'd move to one of them.  And if getting more air service  and a new tallest means becoming one of them then I'll happily pass. For the record, I don't think it does at all, but ...

• Like 1

City leadership provided the financial update and outlined spending priorities for the proposed 2023 budget, including significant investments in economic development, affordable housing and infrastructure.

Spending priorities are outlined below.

SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENTS  

• $11.2 million from the general fund for capital improvements including:  
    • $2 million for affordable housing (up $1 million from last year)
    • Nearly $5 million for economic development initiatives
    • Funding for sidewalks, traffic calming, bike/pedestrian infrastructure 
  • $5 million for sewer system improvements
  • $2 million for Swamp Rabbit Trail underpass at Verdae Boulevard
  • $1.7 million in parking upgrades – including space sensors and counters at select garages 
  • $1.3 million for stormwater system improvements 
  • $1 million for greenways and trails projects 
  • Additional building codes and fire inspection staff to speed up permitting process, and additional Parks, Recreation and Tourism staff to provide excellent customer experiences
  • Project management staff to deliver on infrastructure plans 
  • Zoo facilities, exhibits and customer experience 
  • City’s share of the Unity Park Honor Tower  

REVENUE

• FY23 revenue projections estimated about 3.3% over current year actuals – estimating moderate but sustained growth in all revenue sources 
  • Business Licenses – over half (52%) of renewing businesses are paying lower business license fees under the new ordinance, business revenues are trending up by 14% 
  • Tourism Taxes (hospitality, accommodations) are at historic highs, outpacing our conservative budget estimates and pre-COVID norms 
  • Proposed Revenue Adjustments 
    • General fund, stormwater fee, parking fees – no change 
    • Sewer fee – 3.5% adjustment  
    • Solid waste fee – proposed $1 monthly increase. (The fee has not been adjusted since 2017. This increase will create capacity for better trash services at neighborhood parks.) 

BOTTOM LINE

• General Fund operating expenses are up 5.5% over the FY22 budget – largely driven by personnel and fuel costs. General fund revenues for FY22 are projected about 6.5% over budget due to a combination of conservative estimates, growth in property taxes, business licenses and insurance taxes. 
  • The City will make targeted investments in additional personnel and resources to support Council priorities, work plan and maintenance needs 
  • The City is transitioning Unity Park from a construction project to a world-class amenity
  • The City will deliver on infrastructure investments - Neighborhood Infrastructure Bond improvements, Special Emphasis Neighborhood sidewalks and a new Public Safety Campus. 

NEXT STEPS

• Public hearing and first reading of the Budget (May 23, 2022) 
  • Adoption of budget and capital improvement project list (June 13, 2022)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gman430 said:

City leadership provided the financial update and outlined spending priorities for the proposed 2023 budget, including significant investments in economic development, affordable housing and infrastructure.

Spending priorities are outlined below.

SIGNIFICANT INVESTMENTS  

• $11.2 million from the general fund for capital improvements including:  
    • $2 million for affordable housing (up $1 million from last year)
    • Nearly $5 million for economic development initiatives
    • Funding for sidewalks, traffic calming, bike/pedestrian infrastructure 
  • $5 million for sewer system improvements
  • $2 million for Swamp Rabbit Trail underpass at Verdae Boulevard
  • $1.7 million in parking upgrades – including space sensors and counters at select garages 
  • $1.3 million for stormwater system improvements 
  • $1 million for greenways and trails projects 
  • Additional building codes and fire inspection staff to speed up permitting process, and additional Parks, Recreation and Tourism staff to provide excellent customer experiences
  • Project management staff to deliver on infrastructure plans 
  • Zoo facilities, exhibits and customer experience 
  • City’s share of the Unity Park Honor Tower  

REVENUE

• FY23 revenue projections estimated about 3.3% over current year actuals – estimating moderate but sustained growth in all revenue sources 
  • Business Licenses – over half (52%) of renewing businesses are paying lower business license fees under the new ordinance, business revenues are trending up by 14% 
  • Tourism Taxes (hospitality, accommodations) are at historic highs, outpacing our conservative budget estimates and pre-COVID norms 
  • Proposed Revenue Adjustments 
    • General fund, stormwater fee, parking fees – no change 
    • Sewer fee – 3.5% adjustment  
    • Solid waste fee – proposed $1 monthly increase. (The fee has not been adjusted since 2017. This increase will create capacity for better trash services at neighborhood parks.) 

BOTTOM LINE

• General Fund operating expenses are up 5.5% over the FY22 budget – largely driven by personnel and fuel costs. General fund revenues for FY22 are projected about 6.5% over budget due to a combination of conservative estimates, growth in property taxes, business licenses and insurance taxes. 
  • The City will make targeted investments in additional personnel and resources to support Council priorities, work plan and maintenance needs 
  • The City is transitioning Unity Park from a construction project to a world-class amenity
  • The City will deliver on infrastructure investments - Neighborhood Infrastructure Bond improvements, Special Emphasis Neighborhood sidewalks and a new Public Safety Campus. 

NEXT STEPS

• Public hearing and first reading of the Budget (May 23, 2022) 
  • Adoption of budget and capital improvement project list (June 13, 2022)

Edit. 

Edited by GVLover

On 4/13/2022 at 12:24 PM, distortedlogic said:

Not saying to stop people from coming, that's impossible. BUT; maybe we should lay off the horn tooting and quest to be on all the "Best of" lists. There is almost nothing good to come from overexposure and rapid growth; that's just my opinion.

And that's my fear. Another increasingly rapid growing city that used to be unique and manageable, only to become another overcrowded area that looks like all the others.

I know I may want different things for Greenville than other people, but as I've said before, I hope this NEVER happens. I hope Greenville remains different, smaller, and more manageable than those. If I wanted one of those cities I'd move to one of them.  And if getting more air service  and a new tallest means becoming one of them then I'll happily pass. For the record, I don't think it does at all, but ...

If you're against rapid growth I think right now you're in the wrong area. 

On 4/26/2022 at 9:27 AM, motonenterprises said:

If you're against rapid growth I think right now you're in the wrong area. 

But that is part of my point. It is not like I moved into an area that is rapidly growing and the decided I didn't like that reality. I consider myself a native and slower growth is one of the things I have liked about the area. I personally do not like the more rapid growth we are seeing now; hence my point about wishing it would slow a bit and not go down the path of other faster growing areas . Obviously the world, or in this case Greenville, doesn't revolve around me so what I want has no bearing; I'm just stating a preference and will have to deal with the reality.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

But that is part of my point. It is not like I moved into an area that is rapidly growing and the decided I didn't like that reality. I consider myself a native and slower growth is one of the things I have liked about the area. I personally do not like the more rapid growth we are seeing now; hence my point about wishing it would slow a bit and not go down the path of other faster growing areas . Obviously the world, or in this case Greenville, doesn't revolve around me so what I want has no bearing; I'm just stating a preference and will have to deal with the reality.

That's part of the beauty of being somewhat free. I moved here because where I left was too slow and backwards. I still go back to visit because it's where I'm from, but I'll probably never live there again. There are growing pains, but there are also new amenities and wealth in the area because of that growth.

• Like 3

A major incentive program launched this week to help attract new business and annexation to the city: https://www.greenvillesc.gov/342/Incentives?fbclid=IwAR2n-00oyUR1rT8V1ud5JWwbZZBdhMqWdPT6xo7u0I-lbFFzRAzzOjoFtt8

Eligible businesses must apply for the program each year that it is available. The program for existing businesses is scheduled to end June 30, 2027.

Targeted areas include the CBD, Village of West Greenville, Haywood Road, Stone Avenue, Wade Hampton Blvd, Augusta Street, Laurens Road, Pleasantburg Drive, and Pendleton Street. 

Why is it needed?

• The standardized model ordinance does not include some of the special provisions the City has established in the past to attract and retain businesses
  • Having a standalone economic development ordinance allows for greater flexibility and provides a new tool for staff to use for business development
  • Allows the city to address specific economic development needs
  • Allows greater control of incentive payments and tie-in to ensure investment and job creation targets are achieved

Which businesses are we focused on?

New Businesses (5-year 100% Business License Rebate)
Existing Business (5-year 50% Business License Rebate)

• Artist
  • Retail
  • Manufacturing
  • Corporate Headquarters
  • Grocery Store in Special Emphasis Neighborhood
  • Child Care Businesses 
  • Any Commercial Annexation
Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

On 5/6/2022 at 5:54 PM, rancenc said:

Even  more. Sandwich manufacturer 300 new jobs in the North Greenwood Industrial Park not far from Symrise, Caterpillar and Colgate Palmolive. That section of Hwy 25 north of Greenwood  on a roll.

https://www.indexjournal.com/news/breaking/sandwich-manufacturer-brings-37-9-million-facility-300-jobs-to-greenwood/article_c4f86740-9e6d-5fd4-938e-56a7c54452d8.html

Edited by vistatiger
  • Like 1

Major PPE manufacturer to build Greenville facility, add 600 jobs

A major U.S. medical personal protective equipment manufacturer and wholesaler has received a set of tax incentives from Greenville County in exchange for at least a $95 million investment over the next five years in a facility expected to create 600 new jobs.

Health Supply US, based in Mooresville, N.C., bought 183 acres at 1 Quality Way along Old Grove Road south of Greenville in February for $6.5 million, according to property records. The buyer listed on the deed was Glove One, LLC, but the address listed is the same as the headquarters for Health Supply US.

https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/major-ppe-manufacturer-to-build-greenville-facility-add-600-jobs/article_65645ad0-d6e6-11ec-86be-4b83682820d1.html

Edited by GVLover

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking aloud: 

I wonder if the City is attempting to lure TD Synnex. Typically I’m not in favor of tax breaks for large companies, but in this case this is an exception. To have an S&P500 is important not only to Greenville, and our future development but frankly the State. Unfortunately, Rock Hill (and the State) has put a stain on the SC’s reputation as a “business friendly environment” with the Panther’ HQ debacle hence why the City and State should be working in concert to bring their HQ to Greenville to show we can continue to attract top talent and corporations.

I’d love for their HQ to be downtown as part of the mixed-use “conference center” complex to be constructed. I think it’s important we think ahead as far as how we build this space in particular so it should be a “go big or go home” kind of project as far as what the public may have to accommodate fiscally, alongside the respective developers.

I know people seem to always make a rationale here for developers not building over 10 stories and how a 5 story building is considered a “tower”, but there *is* demand for taller buildings considering the amount of people looking to move to Greenville. I can’t see why this project cannot accommodate an office component (TD Synnex), rental apartments [25% affordable], condos, a hotel, retail, a museum, and a conference center all in one site. Height would absolutely be justified, hopefully a State tallest.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, rancenc said:

Yes they have already cleared that large tract of land.

Looks like there may be something going in further down Augusta Road at Garrison Road across from that former small Michelin office building . Survey stakes and trees and a old house being taken down it looks like.  Large piece of property. Could be industry or a subdivision????

Edited by vistatiger