Greater Greenville Economic Developments

GvilleSC

1 hour ago, vistatiger said:

Yes they have already cleared that large tract of land.

Looks like there may be something going in further down Augusta Road at Garrison Road across from that former small Michelin office building . Survey stakes and trees and a old house being taken down it looks like.  Large piece of property. Could be industry or a subdivision????

Subdivision. 174 lots.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:08 PM, gman430 said:

Subdivision. 174 lots.

Quoting myself here but the proposed subdivision has been denied again. The developer just needs to get lost: https://www.postandcourier.com/greenville/business/real-estate/rural-greenville-subdivision-denied-again-after-19th-century-home-demolished/article_0ce8d95c-0ec3-11ed-a8e7-3faded22a68a.html

Edited by gman430

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, vicupstate said:

The tweet was dated yesterday, and it was news to me.  

We have heard about this before. The article below is from April. 

https://www.wltx.com/article/tech/argo-autonomous-vehicle-company-investing-26-million-creating-40-new-jobs-in-greenville-south-carolina-upstate/101-b0546e41-2bdb-4b58-866a-9506c30fd240

2 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

The city of Greenville did drop a pretty decent youtube video about it  yesterday.

Is there a sub-topic on here that allows users to post what developments Greenville should have? 

Like a 24/7 gym (weights and cardio), not on Main St. (so there is easy parking), but within a mile or two of DT that is open 24/7? 

Everything closes at 9:00 p.m., or earlier.  I'd even take a gym that's open to 11:00 p.m.

Examples:

https://www.atlantabarbellgym.com/

https://www.trainuntamed.com/membership/

This is the weirdest economic development announcement ever. Must not be much going development wise in this area. Not surprising though. That’s what happens when you get people like Dorothy Dowe on City Council. It scares away the developers. She would be perfect on the GSP Airport Commission. :D 

And yes, all of you can react with this emoji now: :blink:

Edited by gman430
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ingvegas said:

Parking is impossible there. 

I’m a member of that Anytime Fitness and have never had a problem finding a parking space along East Washington in the same block as the gym-i.e., right in front of the gym.    I highly recommend it.  Even if a parking spot isn’t available right in front, there are plenty of free spaces nearby.

Separately, while I am not a Democrat and never will be, I have to defend Dorothy Dowe.  Unlike lots of others, she is a very sharp person who puts a lot of thought and effort into doing her job on City Council and is very responsive to public concerns. I emailed her once about a local issue and she responded with a very thoughtful, respectful and well-informed analysis of the situation.  At least with her, we have a capable person who cares.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens
  • Like 3

City council is not a partisan job and I would prefer that it was officially a nonpartisan position, as it was for a brief time.  I certainly haven't agreed with Dowe on a few key votes, including the one on Woven. But I agree she is very engaged and thoughtful and well-informed.  I don't think anybody is foolish enough to run against White, but when he retires, I could see her running for mayor. I don't have any inside information at all to say that, but she would be well positioned to do so.      

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Volvo planning $42 million investment in Greenville County

"Volvo is planning a more than $42 million investment in Greenville County, and County Council members will consider offering the company a Fee In Lieu of Tax (FILOT) agreement of $35 million, according to next week's County Council agenda.

The proposed FILOT agreement says Volvo wants to build a tooling facility, and lists two locations in Greenville County, one on Moon Acres Road in Piedmont and one on Woodside Avenue in Fountain Inn. The car manufacturer anticipates an investment of $42.6 million and would be required to invest at least $35 million into Greenville County over a five-year timespan."

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/greenville/2022/09/16/volvo-asks-for-filot-tax-break-plan-to-open-plant-in-greenville-county/69499606007/

• Like 1

The SC housing market cooled off in August, but not in Greenville , Greenwood and wherever 'Central Carolina' is (York County, perhaps?)

Here’s how much sales have dropped in SC each month this summer, year over year.

June: 13.5%

July: 17%

August: 11.1%

Here is a list of the change in August home sales for all South Carolina markets, year over year.

Aiken: - 15%

Beaufort: -18.5%

Central Carolina: +18.9%

Charleston Trident: -24.7%

Cherokee County: 0%

Coastal Carolinas: -8.5%

Greater Augusta: -13.1%

Greater Columbia: -11%

Greater Greenville: +0.5%

Greenwood: +1%

Hilton Head area: -14%

Pee Dee: -7.6%

Piedmont Regional: -19.3%

Spartanburg: -1.5%

Sumter/Clarendon County: +8.4%

Western Upstate: -2.8%

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article265874446.html#storylink=cpy

• 2 weeks later...