New Grand Terminal - An Idea/Vision

gvsusean

It would be fantastic to have a new train station that looks like one of the great ones from the late 19th early 20th centuries.

Gare du Nord, France:

Gare_du_nord.jpg

Milan termini, Italy:

2milanstation5.jpg

With high speed trains to Chicago and Detroit (including stops in Kzoo and Lansing

tgv-dup1.jpg

The new station could be the terminal for the local IC rail as well as regional rail to holland, grand haven, and maybe rockford?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be fantastic to have a new train station that looks like one of the great ones from the late 19th early 20th centuries.

Gare du Nord, France:

[mg] Gare_du_nord.jpg

Milan termini, Italy:

[g] 2milanstation5.jpg

With high speed trains to Chicago and Detroit (including stops in Kzoo and Lansing

[g] tgv-dup1.jpg

The new station could be the terminal for the local IC rail as well as regional rail to holland, grand haven, and maybe rockford?

IC rail would hit Muskegon before Rockford :P

The best part of Milano Centrale is not the head building, but the incredible train shed. I think I must have used half a roll of film when I first saw that thing on our honeymoon. FYI, the St. Louis train shed has been turned into an incredible retail development. Well worth a trip if you are in the Gateway City.

It would be really nice if they took advantage of the rail that goes through lowell/belding/greenville...it's hardly used anymore (I think Electrolux is the only one that used it, because we don't hear the train come through that's by my work building). But, Belding has remodeled and preserved their depot which is currently used for Dial-A-Ride station and town meetings, and Greenville has an old depot as well. That would be a convenient way of getting to GR.

I caught a news report this weekend about an article in the Holland paper. They mentioned that Amtrak was going to add two addition passenger cars to the Pere Marquette line between Grand Rapids and Chicago. They sited that there has been additional growth over the past year.

I personal would like to see a new or at least updated train station in downtown Grand Rapids. At one time I thought I had heard they would like to have the train station at the new Rapid station. I don't know if that rumor was true or not, but it would be cool to have the Rapid, Greyhound, and Amtrak all in the same complex.

Having an additional line would be nice too, but I don't know if there is enough interest to justify the additional cost. I know Kalamazoo has around four different lines to Chicago througout the day. Granted their rail line has more trafic than ours. Just wishful daydreaming.... :silly:

At one time I thought I had heard they would like to have the train station at the new Rapid station. I don't know if that rumor was true or not, but it would be cool to have the Rapid, Greyhound, and Amtrak all in the same complex.

Yes, that is true. I believe the plan for the new ITP Station was that it would be the "hub" for all these things: Amtrak, Greyhound, local buses, and someday light rail. Someday.....

• 1 month later...

Yes, that is true. I believe the plan for the new ITP Station was that it would be the "hub" for all these things: Amtrak, Greyhound, local buses, and someday light rail. Someday.....

This evening in an article I read in the December 2005 issue of MassTransit it states that new ITP Station would house a new Amtrak station (provided approvals/fundings are granted). A quote in the article from The Rapid Executive Director/CEO Peter Varga:

"Part of the other design is that the Amtrak station would be relocated over here

i remember hearing a while ago that they were staring on a midwestern high speed train network of some kind.

anyone have any info?

I think they were investigating doing high-speed rail from Detroit to Chicago along I-94, that would miss us.

There is currently a "high-speed" corridor along the Wolverine Line (the route that runs between Detroit and Chicago). Right now high-speed means the trains max out at around 80 mph. I think they just got approval for 95 mph, but it's still only along the stretch between Niles and Kalamazoo.

Information on the Midwest High-Speed Rail Association can be found here.

Ever been in the engineer's cab going 60? You fly and get that sensation that nothing can stop you, you plow right through. You push the window open and stick your hand out to catch the air and realise that you are in one of the largest heaviest machines on the planet and if you hit something you won't feel it. Sweet deliverance from above. :lol:

You push the window open and stick your hand out to catch the air and realise that you are in one of the largest heaviest machines on the planet and if you hit something you won't feel it.
Unless you hit another train.

On our way back to Chicago, The Wolverine train hit an abandoned pickup truck that some jerk left on the tracks at a crossing. The only thing any of us passengers noticed was a mild bump and a strange grinding underneath the cars.

It might as well have been a Tonka truck the way the train plowed through it. Physics is so awesome.

On our way back to Chicago, The Wolverine train hit an abandoned pickup truck that some jerk left on the tracks at a crossing. The only thing any of us passengers noticed was a mild bump and a strange grinding underneath the cars.

It might as well have been a Tonka truck the way the train plowed through it. Physics is so awesome.

My buddy was an engineer for Norfolk Southern and now for Amtrak. This happens more then you think. People were always putting things on the tracks, S-10's, flaming couches, themselves...........

A relative of mine lost her leg while she was very young... Train ran over it. It cut right through like butter. Kids, I can't stress this enough -- please stay away from the rails. The flanges cut like knives.

:offtopic: It's not so awesome to be in the front cab as an engineer if the vehicle struck climbs the cab when it happens. Now add in the mental anguish to piloting crew if they hit something with people in it. They can't stop on dime; all they can do is blast the horn and watch it happen. That has to be very helpless feeling as it plays out. Someone is going to get completely obliterated while you're at the controls, and there is nothing you can do about it. :offtopic:

:offtopic: It's not so awesome to be in the front cab as an engineer if the vehicle struck climbs the cab when it happens. Now add in the mental anguish to piloting crew if they hit something with people in it. They can't stop on dime; all they can do is blast the horn and watch it happen. That has to be very helpless feeling as it plays out. Someone is going to get completely obliterated while you're at the controls, and there is nothing you can do about it. :offtopic:

Yeah, that sucks. But Physics, on the otherhand, is awesome!

Archived