Clemmons Going Urban?

twincity

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the map on page 23 of the planning document, I see what was a forested landscape become a asphalt surface punctuated here and there by a building. Does that medical center building actually need 240 spaces? Will the retail mix encourage enough shoppers to go there to utilise the space. The wildcard is not that retail anchor but that cinema. The more screens and seating capacity it has, the more parking required.

I like the way the existing development which has Panera Bread and all is integrated into the development but why stop there. The KFC and the bank located on that side of the Lewisville Road should be razed and rebuilt elsewhere within the development because now it is difficult already to make a left hand turn out of those locations and will be more so with the increased load on the road. It may make things a bit easier for people to access I-40.

The development is strongly remieniscent of Philips Place in Charlotte which I visited but I do not recall that place as having as much parking as this development.

One thing I would encourage the developers is to avoid the retail stores to be just another collection of chain stores. A development this size will definitely depress business in other parts of Clemmons and Winston all the way to Jonestown Road. Relocating locally owned business to this development should be encouraged. Of course this would mean that strip malls all along Lewisville Road will lose tenants but that would be inevitable in any case.

Finally, the name Town Center implies an organic growth of what is perceived to be the center of a community but there are no civic buildings or churches or schools. Perhaps dropping another building housing state and city department next to the Medical building would be of some benefit.

Looking at the map on page 23 of the planning document, I see what was a forested landscape become a asphalt surface punctuated here and there by a building.

Well, it does appear that there will be several "landscape" type trees (crepe myrtles, birch, zelkovas most likely) but it will still be a whole lotta asphalt.

Archived