Local biotech start-ups need space

TheGerbil

I guess this is what you would call a "good problem."

http://post-gazette.com/pg/06090/678265-96.stm

Local biotech companies that are too big for incubator space (but still too new to commit to a 10-year lease) are in need of space. Expansion of the Pittsburgh Technology Center may help; and someone is looking to develop a site in Uptown.

This is positive news. It shows that the local biotech sector is doing well. And I am very happy that these companies are trying to find space here, rather than relocating.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this earlier and meant to post it. This is something that I touched on before. I think that research or not, Oakland can absorb more new office space and should push for more buildings and maybe a master plan for improving the area (especially South Oakland)

For the third largest commuter destination in the state--and from what I've heard the fastest growing one--Oakland stands in stark contrast to downtown Pittsburgh where they have resorted to giving away sq. footage recently. The city should really get behind this and develop Oakland in a SMART way as the true "uptown" to the downtown at the point. The reason the University, Forbes Field, Phipps, The Carnegie et. al. are there is it was the uptown a century ago.

I'd like to see a big skycraper smile start up with PPG on one dimple and the Cathedral of Learning on the other, lets start expanding TOWARDS downtown and make Oakland the "uptown" instead of having people confuse us with Raider fans!?!

Oakland is Oakland and there is nothing wrong with that. I want Oakland to retain its name. It's a university district, not a traditional business district. It is also a medical one. Other cities have similar districts as well. However, its research should be fostered well and it seems to be that the main concentration of growth has been in this part of the city and it should a get aserious plan of short and log term growth and improvements.

Archived