Why Isn't there a Charlotteist Yet?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, I am gonna investigate and see how to get an "ist" site. The sites are really welldone and have some really interesting city news and perspective. The DCist is particarly great for an overview of DC news and events.

Go register the name Charlotteist.com. It's available. It will only cost you $8.95/year and you can do anything you want with the site. You don't need anyones permission.

I said the same thing about Craigslist like 3 years ago. Then I emailed Craigslist and asked how come Atlanta gets a Craigslist and we didn't. Note: We now have a Craiglist Charlotte, I don't think it had anything to do with my email, my point is that these thing may eventually come.

While you might be able to register the name Charlotteist, I think the point of the "ist" sites is that they are linked as a network of city blogs. I think you have to get official approval to create your own official "ist" site on par with the others.

Apparently the IST sites are all owned by Gothamist:

Fun facts

DCist is the fifth of Gothamist LLC's network of 15 city blogs. The first was Gothamist.com, which covers New York City.

Charlotte isn't represented on Metroblogs either. I think they're taking city applications again if anyone wants a Charlotte Metroblog.

Atlanta got a Craigslist when it did because at the time there were a ton of Dot Commers working in the area. That was in the days when you weren't considered cool unless your city had a high population of Dot Commers and Webbys.

While you might be able to register the name Charlotteist, I think the point of the "ist" sites is that they are linked as a network of city blogs. I think you have to get official approval to create your own official "ist" site on par with the others.

Well if they haven't bothered to reserve web domains in order to do this, I would say they are not exactly web savy if you ask me. Maybe I will register it. LOL. In anycase I don't just see it. Those places are nothing more than blogs using standard software. There are millions of them out there, but I admit the names are not as silly.

I think the question should be, if they are that relevant, why isn't there one for Tokyo? It is after all the largest city on the planet. GoDaddy will register www.tokyoist.com for $7.95. Maybe I will register that one too. :lol:

Nah. You take them. UrbanPlanet is enough work for me. I don't even have any time for UrbanCharlotte.com which is mine.

That photo you have on UrbanCharlotte.com is awesome. It actually reminds me a lot of New Orleans, with the skyline in the background and the light rail line and older or older-looking buildings in the foreground. And while I like New Orleans' skyline, I must say Charlotte's is awesome. I love it!

Archived