Construction Thread-Orlando-Dynetech Center

Tim3167

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard from the construction co. that the owners have still not released it for construction; only for demo and sitework while they further crunch the numbers ($$$) that make sense... but, that it should be released soon...

Should they have studied the feasibility of this project a little earlier in the process?

Here is my bit of warning to anyone else who decides to share inside information: dont. First of all, I happen to know the "braintrust" as you call them and I guarantee you they have not shared this information with you for the sake of putting halfed ass information on the internet. The bigger issue that is being failed to recognize is that blanket statements can be misinterpreted when the presenter of said information doesn't know what he is talking about. Implying in any way that a project will not be built based off of what you heard is not only a misrepresentation of the project but also of the company that you heard it from, it comprimises the status of the project, which is not something you want to be responsible for.

Here is my bit of warning to anyone else who decides to share inside information: dont. First of all, I happen to know the "braintrust" as you call them and I guarantee you they have not shared this information with you for the sake of putting halfed ass information on the internet. The bigger issue that is being failed to recognize is that blanket statements can be misinterpreted when the presenter of said information doesn't know what he is talking about. Implying in any way that a project will not be built based off of what you heard is not only a misrepresentation of the project but also of the company that you heard it from, it comprimises the status of the project, which is not something you want to be responsible for.

i deleted my post, but quoting me doesn't further your point, it just republishes what I said expounding its effect. maybe you should do the same to your post, and I'll leave it at that.

So somebody threatens you... and you delete a post. Who the heck is anyone to come on this forum and tell you what to post.

It is unwise to take it upon oneself to print in a public forum what another has said in confidence without their permission. Orlandonative's warning is not only warranted, it is good professional practice and will prevent someone from getting into hot water in the future.

I think O-native and Bic are right. thanx Gregory for your support. I PM'd O-native about deleting his reponse post... nothing yet. Gregory, I think we should all delete our responses in our posts and just move on the the next news flash about Dynetech when it comes up.

It is unwise to take it upon oneself to print in a public forum what another has said in confidence without their permission. Orlandonative's warning is not only warranted, it is good professional practice and will prevent someone from getting into hot water in the future.

I would tend to agree with Bic here. Nobody wants to be the source of a leak, whether it be true or false. orlandonative seems to be right on with everything he has said for as far back as I can remember.

I think O-native and Bic are right. thanx Gregory for your support. I PM'd O-native about deleting his reponse post... nothing yet. Gregory, I think we should all delete our responses in our posts and just move on the the next news flash about Dynetech when it comes up.

I am going to delete my posts on this subject. I don't think what you wrote would sink a project... or get anyone in trouble.. but I am not in the business and therfore will go with what you guys recomend. I still think it is censorship though :)

Have you all gone mad?! So what we're saying here is we can only discuss things deemed official and reported by the press. Seems like a pretty boring discussion if all we can do is link to official press releases and sentinel articles.

Forums like this and blogs all over the net are fueled by rumours and word on the street. What kills me about this scolding is it seems odd with the history of little birdies referenced on this forum that JRS1 should get singled out. Not so long ago this little tidbit was posted by another forumer concerning trouble with Dynetech.

"Alright, well....I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we might be about to experience a major delay in this project. I will know details later today."

What's so different between this and what JRS1 posted? If confidence was betrayed that is between JRS1 and whoever so freely shared confidential information which to me doesn't seem to make it so confidential.

I just don't understand why in a forum where renderings are leaked and rumours are regularly posted that this is happening.

Leaking information not only interferes with business practices, it is disrespecful, and depicts industry enthusiasts as being untrustworthy-- items not conducive to a healthy symbiotic relationship between architects, planners, city officials, contractors, and people like us. Not only that, you can get yourself and others into a lot of trouble.

I understand the problem with sharing industry or trade secrets and maybe I don't know enough about JRS1's situation but it just sounded like word on the street type reporting that has been going on here since day 1. I'm not thinking he went through someone's recycle bin or eavesdropped on meetings. I guess it goes back to the definition of privacy and whether these discussions occurred with an reasonable expectation of privacy or not.

I'm going to make one final pots with regards to this matter and then I will let it go. I have always enjoyed my time on UP and the sharing of information by everyone especially JRS1.

Here is the issue: If I make a post with regards to a project I am doing so based on first hand knowledge of the projects. This is what I do for a living. However, from time to time I have to censor the information that I share because its not public. There are a ton of projects that forumers ask about the status on daily, and I am forced to bite my tongue. Not because I don't want to share but because it is not public information. The person that shared this information in conversation is perhaps just as wrong. When you are in this business, and most for that matter you are forced to sign confidentiality agreements.

So here's how a post jeopardizes a project: owner of said project googles his project, finds UP, reads leaks that are credited to the GC. The owner than questions that contractors abilty, drops them from the project, and delays the whole thing. Sounds dramatic but we have documented cases of this happening.

Gregory I understand your distain (sp?) For what I said but I'm not wrong about this one. Considering the contributions I have made on this forum it seems ironic that I would be accused of trying to sensor anything. That said, its my hope that there are no hard feeling by anyone who disagrees with what I have said. The same as I hold no hard feeling for the people who have disagreed. We all have one thing in common here and that is an enthusiasm for the urban enviornment. As said before I have enjoyed everyones posts and input to this point so I don't want to see that jeopardized.

Back to the project

:)

I'm going to make one final pots with regards to this matter and then I will let it go. I have always enjoyed my time on UP and the sharing of information by everyone especially JRS1.

Here is the issue: If I make a post with regards to a project I am doing so based on first hand knowledge of the projects. This is what I do for a living. However, from time to time I have to censor the information that I share because its not public. There are a ton of projects that forumers ask about the status on daily, and I am forced to bite my tongue. Not because I don't want to share but because it is not public information. The person that shared this information in conversation is perhaps just as wrong. When you are in this business, and most for that matter you are forced to sign confidentiality agreements.

So here's how a post jeopardizes a project: owner of said project googles his project, finds UP, reads leaks that are credited to the GC. The owner than questions that contractors abilty, drops them from the project, and delays the whole thing. Sounds dramatic but we have documented cases of this happening.

Gregory I understand your distain (sp?) For what I said but I'm not wrong about this one. Considering the contributions I have made on this forum it seems ironic that I would be accused of trying to sensor anything. That said, its my hope that there are no hard feeling by anyone who disagrees with what I have said. The same as I hold no hard feeling for the people who have disagreed. We all have one thing in common here and that is an enthusiasm for the urban enviornment. As said before I have enjoyed everyones posts and input to this point so I don't want to see that jeopardized.

Back to the project

:)

No worries. I appreciate the info that you are able to share. Keep it coming. I think everyone is on the same page here. Definately no hard feelings.

Have you all gone mad?! So what we're saying here is we can only discuss things deemed official and reported by the press. Seems like a pretty boring discussion if all we can do is link to official press releases and sentinel articles.

Forums like this and blogs all over the net are fueled by rumours and word on the street. What kills me about this scolding is it seems odd with the history of little birdies referenced on this forum that JRS1 should get singled out. Not so long ago this little tidbit was posted by another forumer concerning trouble with Dynetech.

"Alright, well....I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but we might be about to experience a major delay in this project. I will know details later today."

What's so different between this and what JRS1 posted? If confidence was betrayed that is between JRS1 and whoever so freely shared confidential information which to me doesn't seem to make it so confidential.

I just don't understand why in a forum where renderings are leaked and rumours are regularly posted that this is happening.

I for one, totally aggree with you. That's what this board had been about since I've been on it. You hear things and you report it. Now, if someone says to me .. this is confidential .. then I would probably keep it to myself, if not, it's between him and me .. not you goons (no offense). This is a board where we share what we've heard and if we violate someones trust that between us and the someone. Shame on them for leaking to us.

wow, I'm gone for a hour to jog Eola and all this activity.

just for the record, the info came from 3 different individuals at different times and the word "confidential" nor anything remotely with the same meaning was uttered or implied, and it didn't "feel" that way either. it was just thrown out there.

anyway, the google point is valid... that's how I discovered this board in the first place. wow...

good points by all. onward.

Perhaps maybe next time if someone thinks something posted may contain info that may cause some trouble by making public, a personal reply would be better. you know, a "hey, you may want to reconsider what you posted, it my get some people in trouble or cause some problems." I mean we all seem to have the best intentions here and would never want to impact a project negatively, as you can see by JRS1 removing his post.

it's just that making this whole thing public must have people that didnt read what JRS1 posted saying, "wow, i wonder what JRS1 posted. it must have been controversal." <_<

and as someone who read it, i didnt think it was that big of a deal at the time. but then again, not being in the business like some of you on here, i'm not privy to as much info and i have no doubt that orlandonative had good reasons and intentions for his response.

anyway..just my 2 cents...

so...with that said.. does anyone have a feel for when we will start going vertical on this thing?

If someone tells you something, and no contract was signed, you can say whatever you want. I'm sure the developers also take leaked info with a grain of salt. Only very specific info matters. For example, if I were to relay from what I heard from a developer first hand that the project will be a "new tallest" or construction will start in September, that is just crap someone could have made a lucky guess on, and I doubt the developer will care that much about. If you share names, prices, specific contract information, then that is gonna piss them off. It is in my opinion that a few people here are worrying a little too much.

Archived