A River Front Vision

Rizzo

Way way back in January we created the concept of a river front community featuring walkable districts, canals, shops, entertainment, and mid rise apartment/condos. The river front property which is just commonly known as "public works island" was the ground zero for this development. At that time I did some renderings, but the idea kind of just fizzled, ironic though. Very friggin preliminary. I revisited those same concepts that we cooked up then, but just foofoo'd them up. :rolleyes: But the original concept is there.

GaryP and I had the canals, Dad drove the idea of condos/apartments over the canals and a few others had the idea of having shops/entertainment along the canals to create a walkable community. A must was boardwalks along the river to lend some interaction with the river, and as Dad wanted a bridge connecting The Island.

renderconcpet93jl.jpg

renderconcpet47nn.jpg

renderconcpet52zg.jpg

renderconcpet72ia.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way way back in January we created the concept of a river front community featuring walkable districts, canals, shops, entertainment, and mid rise apartment/condos. The river front property which is just commonly known as "public works island" was the ground zero for this development. At that time I did some renderings, but the idea kind of just fizzled, ironic though. Very friggin preliminary. I revisited those same concepts that we cooked up then, but just foofoo'd them up. :rolleyes: But the original concept is there.

GaryP and I had the canals, Dad drove the idea of condos/apartments over the canals and a few others had the idea of having shops/entertainment along the canals to create a walkable community. A must was boardwalks along the river to lend some interaction with the river, and as Dad wanted a bridge connecting The Island.

renderconcpet93jl.jpg

renderconcpet47nn.jpg

renderconcpet52zg.jpg

renderconcpet72ia.jpg

Uh.. don't we already have this thread started by Jeff yesterday?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23766

Nice job, Rizzo! I love it. You know, I was just driving in that area the other day. I would hope that whatever happens down there would keep some of the cool buildings and incorporate them into the development. That Horseshoe Bar, terrafirma's buildings, Custer's is cool, too. Most of the sheet metal factories (and strip club) could be bulldozed, but I would hope that some of the great older buildings could be used or left the way the are so it all doesn't look like Disney World or some lifestyle center and looks more like a "real" city.

I think it's great that we can all throw out ideas for this land (and have been long before "Project X"). Who knows who may come here and check out our ideas as they plan. (and by they, I mean anyone who will turn in a proposal on May 19 - if only we had the funding!)

renderconcpet47nn.jpg

By the way, I think Chicago would like their Marina Tower (corncob) buildings back!!

:rofl:

Great Job with the skylines Rizzo :thumbsup:

Now we just need a few higher buildings on the North side of the S-curve to connect the two centers... :D

^ Yah I added the towers for some texture :) It's also partly a personal tribute

Some impact studies on the neighborhood skyline:

render18gb.jpg

render47in.jpg

render32vr.jpg

I like some of the things that are happening it this design and seeing it in context with the surroundings helped alot. I was trying to figure out just how large these buildings were yesterday (BTW, about how many floors does that tallest tower have?).

Also, Rizzo, can you show a view of the entire skyline from across the river somewhere from roughly ground level?

Love the Canal idea. A nod to the past and a great way to build a "riverfront" entertainment district. :thumbsup:

Joe

The best thing it's been proven sucessful in places like San Antonio. The river walk there is awesome in my opinion, really encourages pedestrian traffic and promotes window shopping.

I like some of the things that are happening it this design and seeing it in context with the surroundings helped alot. I was trying to figure out just how large these buildings were yesterday (BTW, about how many floors does that tallest tower have?).

Also, Rizzo, can you show a view of the entire skyline from across the river somewhere from roughly ground level?

Pano between Winter and Summer just north of Lake Michigan.

123347890_d45d9fb088_b.jpg

Pano from streetlevel near Winter & Douglas

123347891_920470d80f_b.jpg

Archived