April Meet Wrap Up

doormanpoet

William and I would like to thank all for coming out again this month for our monthly meet at Provence on Church Street.

Joining us this month was Rural King and his girlfriend. We are so happy you drove in from West Tennessee to join us.

Thanks again to Hankster for making the trek up from Chattanooga.

For those not in attendance, we started with an hour and fifteen minute chat inside Provence discussing the various topics and we focused on hotel development, the federal courthouse, the future of Church Street and of course, Signature Tower.

We stopped by the Suntrust Plaza site and noticed the garage really coming out of the ground. There were a few tourists looking into the hole as well.

We then took a stroll over to the Schermerhorn and then walked by the lot owned by Monroe Carell. I mentioned during the discussion portion that this is where Hyatt (according to my source) is going to locate.

The procession led up to the courthouse park and city square and I must say we are all in agreement that this project looks wonderful with the Briley Building looming in its shadow.

Josh mentioned buying the old Calvary Records building and he gave us a recap on what is going on at the Savage House. The toy museum is for sale at 2 million dollars. Any takers? It was also mentioned that the Walter Nippers Sporting Goods building and the building attached to it are for sale. The old Store Front Ministry building on 8th will become an art gallery with residential on top.

Breifly mentioned was some of Central Parking's delapidated garages in the CBD. The one on Second Avenue across from Washington Square is in horrible shape and someone mentioned that there is a lawsuit involved with that one.

All in all it was a joyous and very cerebral time had by all! Next month we will be at the Savage House, and we will return to Provence in June. As always, Sheila and Antony were gracious hosts at Provence.

Please leave your comments on the day.

Lexy, we missed you and Cassie, but some of us took some photo's that will hopefully be posted soon.

John, the Doorman Poet

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you know, we need a better way to stay in contact, lol. i tried to call dave today, but didnt get an answer. at first i was trying to get downtown to the meet, then one thing after another kept coming up. work, firends, family, and then a wreck on the highway. by the time i finally made it close to downtown, it was time for me to go to work. i am going to post the interview up here tonight, so people can see it, because that was my main purpose for trying to get to the meet this saturday. that and discuss the website. anyways, i will post it shortly, i get off at 10pm, so i will get it up some time after then. Sorry guys, i cant ever get to a meet, lol

I throughly enjoyed todays meeting. It was the best one so far. We could not have asked for more beautiful weather. NewTowner there are a few closet mid-rise lovers at the meeting. I hope they speak up, but I will not name names.

Here are some photos I took. I am putting the Public Square photos under the Pubic Square thread.

This was on my way to the meeting

4_1_mtg_1.jpg

Suntrust Hole

4_1_mtg_2.jpg

UP Groupies

4_1_mtg_3.jpg

4_1_mtg_4.jpg

Commuter Rail Station

4_1_mtg_8.jpg

2nd Ave. Buildings

4_1_mtg_5.jpg

3rd Avenue

4_1_mtg_7.jpg

Library Courtyard after the meeting

4_1_mtg_6.jpg

Well, another excellent meeting today. The Good Doorman (John) and I are thrilled at the comraderie of the group.

Much was discussed and viewed today. I was particularly impressed with the civic square at the Metro Courthouse.

Always good seeing everybody.

WW

I throughly enjoyed todays meeting. It was the best one so far. We could not have asked for more beautiful weather. NewTowner there are a few closet mid-rise lovers at the meeting. I hope they speak up, but I will not name names.

Here are some photos I took. I am putting the Public Square photos under the Pubic Square thread.

Excellent pics, my friend. I really like the view of the Schermerhorn.

Yeah I agree Hank. These are great pictures. What a day to take them too!!!!

Yeah, it really was a beautiful day. Here's a few of the one's I took.

Adelicia construction. Lots of workers, the foundation is being poured and the main support columns are beginning to rise.

P4011009.jpg

P4011008.jpg

The Viridian an L&C Tower

P4011011.jpg

The Sun Trust construction site. The parking lot is rising up inside the excavation site. They're working on the second parking lot level now.

P4011014.jpg

The Schermerhorn Symphony Hall

P4011015.jpg

Some of our esteemed forumers at the Schermerhorn construction site

P4011017.jpg

The new Nashville Star train station construction

P4011020.jpg

That was a great mohawk. Die hard Blues fans. You have got to be with the season they have had this year.

The day was perfect for photos. Thanks. I will have to remember that vantage point for the Adelicia. With the weather getting better, hopefully everyone will post more and more photos. The leaves are finally beginning to coming out.

It was great getting together and experiencing the City. My closet mid-rise lovers comment was in jest, but it was also a commentary on the fact that our visions are not that far off from each other. There is a lot of middle ground.

I argue just for the sake of argument. Too me, a fifty-five or for goodness sakes seventy story condo tower, is like, the height of cheesy eighties style excess.

Well, I guess I must be a lover of the epitome of cheesy eighties style excess myself. The HIGHER the better, baby! I hope it really is 70! :shades:

Hey Newtowner,

I understand you are at SCAD. I've got a good friend who has a kid in school there. Great programs. Look forward to your design input in the future.

Thanks! I can't wait to get back to Nashville, assuming I can score a job. I graduate soon, and then it's hopefully Through the Looking Glass into the world of gainful employment.

Archived