Renovation on Monroe

mgreven

I drove by the Founders Trust-Subway building on Monroe and noticed some construction. It was dark but it looked they were making major changes to the look of that building. There was a rendering of it on the sign...I know we've talked about that building here before. I was surprised no one mentioned it was being renovated. I think it's exciting people/companies are willing to spend time and money to give facelifts to building like that. Sure, it wasn't overly attractive before, but it wasn't rundown or anything. I think it show great pride in our city, don't you?

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drove by the Founders Trust-Subway building on Monroe and noticed some construction. It was dark but it looked they were making major changes to the look of that building. There was a rendering of it on the sign...I know we've talked about that building here before. I was surprised no one mentioned it was being renovated. I think it's exciting people/companies are willing to spend time and money to give facelifts to building like that. Sure, it wasn't overly attractive before, but it wasn't rundown or anything. I think it show great pride in our city, don't you?

I noticed that yesterday too. Are they actually redoing the facade or is the plywood simply protecting the pedestrians from the demolition on the 2nd floor? They're filling a dumpter with a chute in a 2nd floor window.

I understand that the 1st floor businesses are still open and there is a walkway behind the plywood.

Just drove by this today as well. This will look pretty cool!

123501821_964b0c9dac_o.jpg

Complete interior and exterior renovation.

http://www.lamarconstruction.com/project.a...6&info=Featured

This building was purchased by Space Source, a Holland MI based company who also bought the building at 180 Monroe (corner of pearl and monroe) post-renovation.

They have the vision and capacity you guys want them to have; it will be a great project. Really great people behind it.

Just drove by this today as well. This will look pretty cool!

123501821_964b0c9dac_o.jpg

Complete interior and exterior renovation.

http://www.lamarconstruction.com/project.a...6&info=Featured

They must have just added that because when I posted this original thread, I looked all over the Lamar and Space Source sites for a rendering to add. Oh well, glad that you found it and were able to add it. BTW, I thought the rendering on the actual building was different (and better looking) than this one.

Wow, I am so glad to see this! I always thought that facade needed help.

In a lot of ways, its better to see these kinds of improvements instead of gazillion dollar mega projects.

Not that I am opposed to gazillion dollar mega projects... :D

They must have just added that because when I posted this original thread, I looked all over the Lamar and Space Source sites for a rendering to add. Oh well, glad that you found it and were able to add it. BTW, I thought the rendering on the actual building was different (and better looking) than this one.

The rendering on the actual building looks a little cleaner mgreven. I'll see if I can get a picture today or tomorrow. :thumbsup:

I am surprised they didnt include the National City bank in that rendering.

The version on their website does. For some reason it was cut out of this rendering (that gray line that extends off to the right is actually a part of it that wasn't erased).

Nice! I can't wait to see what materials they will use.

On the website it talks about an "expensive addition". What are they adding? I always thought this building was totally underutilized. And it was AWFUL when Arby's was in the building. The whole thing reaked of Curly Fries. :)

Joe

The version on their website does. For some reason it was cut out of this rendering (that gray line that extends off to the right is actually a part of it that wasn't erased).

I cut that part off so that "Space Source" wasn't plastered all over the forum. They're getting free exposure here anyway. :thumbsup:

I was also out at lunch taking pictures. We were probably all right next to each other. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Development company buys GR National City building

GRAND RAPIDS -- Space Source has purchased the National City Bank building at 171 Monroe Avenue in Grand Rapids.

This isn't the development company's first such purchase in the downtown area. It also bought the Founders Trust building and other adjacent buildings to National City.

Space Source officials say the use of the building will not change soon, though they are excited about the potential for its future.

Archived