Renovation on Monroe

mgreven

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A few quick shots from today:

I was in the subway a week or so ago having lunch and got into a discussion with some of the folks that worked there about the project, how long it took, and what it did for their business. They're naturally all very relieved that it's done, considering that they lived for something like 9 months behind a plywood facade. But the most interesting tidbit from that conversation is that the owners of the building approached the shops down on Monroe about extending their space out to the new front of the building (there's about a 5 foot gap between the original glass front of Subway and the new glass front of the building - it's like a little hallway on the sidewalk), but stipulated that the shops would have to pay for the expansion and would also have to pay more for the additional space as part of their lease. Hence, Subway (at least) will not be expanding.

Let's just say that you'd be hard pressed to find any tenant of Space Source that would give them glowing reviews. They are suffering from "too big too fast" syndrome and are a little out of their league as a relatively new downtown GR landlord. From what I understand, they are moving their offices to the top floor of this building and have let the little guys in the storefronts suffer while they've devoted money and manhours to making sure their own offices are the priority.

I love that subway. A girl that went to my high school with parents owned it (at least 3 years ago, I would imagine they still do if I'm thinking of the right one). They always got us good deals on subs or donated them for school or sports stuff. Nice people.

I also played hockey with one the sons of the owner of Adobe - the best Mexican food ever (particularly the wet burritos).

Come to think of it, the dad of another guy on the hockey team managed an Olive Garden.

We had food hook up lol :silly:

That card shop moved to that spot from the fifth third center. It used to be in the main lobby there, next to the restaurant by the doors to the parking ramp. I believe it was a hallmark store when it was there; why they don't have a hallmark sign anymore, I have no idea.

I believe I'll be making a trip there today to pick up a valentines day card for my lovely wife...

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a shot of the Monroe Ave. frontage of the renovated Founder's Trust Building (center) and the National City Bank Building (right). As good Founder's looks I was afraid that National City was going to look pretty outdated. But seeing how the two buildings work together as shown in the photo below, I like how the two building seem to have become a seamless package. Very Nice!

founderstrustandnationalf9.jpg

I'm not anti-sign - I would just hate to see that beautiful building all cluttered up with poorly done signage. Hanging them inside would be fine with maybe some well designed hanging signs over the sidewalk. Although I'm not totally won over by the new buildings in Gaslight Village, one of the things that they did do right was the signs - they compliment rather than detract form the overall design.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not anti-sign - I would just hate to see that beautiful building all cluttered up with poorly done signage. Hanging them inside would be fine with maybe some well designed hanging signs over the sidewalk. Although I'm not totally won over by the new buildings in Gaslight Village, one of the things that they did do right was the signs - they compliment rather than detract form the overall design.

I can't believe how different that building looks. I always thought that was one of the ugliest buildings downtown. If the city does a good job with the improvements to Campau Promenade, that area could become a great showplace for the city. Sure can't hurt good old Z's. :thumbsup:

Signage:

430592028_8cdca89ad7_b.jpg

A look inside the elevator lobby - two different exposure levels. Not bad - I like the lights:

430592616_e1fa4710b6_b.jpg430592157_c9c979ca5a_b.jpg

Archived