Favorite Capital City Skyline

TBurban

Southern Capital City Skylines  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite capital city skyline?

• Montgomery
    • Little Rock
    • Tallahassee
    • Atlanta
    • Baton Rouge
    • Frankfort
    • Jackson
    • Raleigh
    • Oklahoma City
    • Columbia
    • Nashville
    • Austin
    • Richmond

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Austin shouldn't have been included. The height restrictions that keep the buildings to a mid-rise level in order to keep from restricting the view of the state capitol prevent it from having a true "skyline". They do allow for a nice walkable, street-level oriented downtown, though.

Austin shouldn't have been included. The height restrictions that keep the buildings to a mid-rise level in order to keep from restricting the view of the state capitol prevent it from having a true "skyline". They do allow for a nice walkable, street-level oriented downtown, though.

Yeah, I didnt want to exclude the Texas one because then I would get tons of complaints. It is considered a southern state, so its capital was included. Keep in mind, it's favorites, not bests :thumbsup:

Even then, the criteria for both are still subjective.

I guess it's all competition these days...no one can just come up and say, this is my favorite skyline without somebody criticizing their response. Im guilty as charged :blush: and I'd love for the Southern forumers to use this with the Northern cities that may more evenly compare with some of the larger cities here in the South :thumbsup:

Yeah, I didnt want to exclude the Texas one because then I would get tons of complaints. It is considered a southern state, so its capital was included. Keep in mind, it's favorites, not bests :thumbsup:

Fair enough.

Maybe not a favorite skyline but it would definitely make the short list for favorite downtown area.

Wither that or maybe National Battlefield on top of Kennesaw.

I was thinking Stone Mountain because to the south/east of Atlanta, pine trees are dominant while to the north and west of Atlanta is mostly hardwood. Kennesaw is to the north but then again, i could be wrong if its not Stone Mountain.

• 2 weeks later...

Columbia is far and away my favorite captial city skyline. There is some bias of course, being my home state's capital and my college's city :) IMO, it has a better skyline 'per capita' than Little Rock. Though I'm not entirely sure how you can quantify that...

cola_skyline02.jpg

cityColumbiaSC_I-77skyline.jpg

ColumbiaSCskyline05day.jpg

ColumbiaSCskyline05nightlg.jpg

cityColumbiaSC_skyline.jpg

Columbia is far and away my favorite captial city skyline. There is some bias of course, being my home state's capital and my college's city :) IMO, it has a better skyline 'per capita' than Little Rock. Though I'm not entirely sure how you can quantify that...

I don't know...it's a tough one.

Little Rock:

fromlibrary8yw.jpg

gettingdark1xm.jpg

i30skyline0qy.jpg

late2tw.jpg

skylineriver6oz.jpg

Archived