Will Charlotte ever become a World Class City?

atownrocks

Actually CMS is not that bad. CMS is more than able to graduate top students. It's problem is that it doesn't know how to deal with problem and marginal students, and the school board is mired down in really nasty politics. Despite this, CMS has a number of High Schools that are normally ranked amoungst the top 100 high schools in the entire USA, and Myers Park HS is usually in the top 10.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was tempted to post something about CMS being our achilles heel in the "world-class ring" earlier, but decided to let it go.

I think CMS is one of the things that is driving the expanding sprawl. Parents want to get fair value for their taxes. And they will put up with long commutes to get their kids into good, safe schools.

If we had excellent schools, parents might also "put up with" the denser housing, lack of yards, and noise etc that comes with living in urban areas.

I can't believe I am going to post this... but I was driving down Glenwood tonight to get some dinner, and I saw two guys holding hands, and they kissed too. It was really very cute. I don't think this makes Raleigh a world-class city lol, but it made me think of this thread...

To keep this relevant to the thread, I think unless something drastic happens, it will be atleast 50 years before any city in North Carolina reaches that kind of status... it just takes time. Atleast most people here have a shot of being alive in 50 years... I am biased, of course, but I think Raleigh and the triangle in general has a better shot at this than Charlotte, but who knows...

Oh, Phillydog-- I am from Connecticut too. Grew up in Middlebury, and have family still in Madison and Farmington. In my middle school, there were about 500 students, and only one of them was black, and she was adopted by a white family. It is very strange how the perception that the northeast is this beacon of liberal acceptance persists, when it just isn't true.

I honestly think that if Charlotte had the 3 research universities that RDU does, that Charlotte would already be a level 1 or 2 city (showing evidence of WCC) but it doesn't, so its not.

In all honesty, I all of a sudden got a very warm fuzzy feeling today that Charlotte is about to shift into high-gear in terms of national and international recognition, much like Atlanta did in the early 80's. I think that our city planners and most politicians get it, and while we will continue to make some mistakes, I think the end result here will be a city that will receive intenational respect.

I've just been trying to figure out how all the pieces come together, and I honestly think that what is happening right now in this city is that a lot of people have the same vision and are working to make it happen. It's hard to describe, but to have grown up here and see all the shifts in politics/trends/local mentality, but I finally feel that enough "powerful" people here understand what a true city should be, and are working in their respective fields towards that vision.

I think we should be pretty proud of our civic leaders (not counting cms). Considering some of the loud backward politics the exists in the city, the leaders, Republican and Democrat alike, seem fairly united on projects that will help us reach the next level as a city. Light Rail has been a bipartisan effort, the Arts Plan has been bipartisan, NHOF has been bipartisan, even the Arena was bipartisan. All of those projects had some no votes, but they passed with bipartisan agreement. This city seems to really be pursuing urban density. Leaders are now consistent about concentrating cultural and tourist destinations in downtown, like many large cities. The leaders have also made great strides in pursuing density and walkable neighborhoods along the 5 mass transit corridors.

There is a very strong voice here, just like in many other southern cities, opposing density, transit, sidewalks, arts, you name it. (See the article on the Transportation Action Plan: http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/new...ws/14244787.htm ) But in the time since I have been here, the city leaders seem to consistently vote to make things like this happen.

It is easy to mock their pursuit of being a world class, but there is no other way to get there than to try.

Although these 2 things do not necessarily "make" a world-class city, all of the cities I have visited in the US (and abroad) seem to have 2 things that Charlotte will never have for one reason or another. While this may sound petty, I believe a large, center city park with a lake big enough for paddleboats, is one of those vital sparks that add life to center cities. I am not neccessarily talking about Central Park size, but larger than the proposed park near the stadium. Unfortunately, the early planners did not see this vision.

Another thing that I feel gives any downtown that "important" feeling is a wide center-city boulevard. Six lanes with a nice median, fountains, etc. running right through the middle, say where N/S Tryon is now. I know that may sound petty, but it's merely an observation. Like I said, these things do not make a world-class city, but they certainly can give you the feeling of a well-planned city of visionaries. I visit cities like Louisville, Nashville, Columbus, Cincinnati, Indianapolis and many others, that all seem to have these qualities. They all have rivers near the downtown area and we all know that ain't happening in Charlotte.

River or not, I always seem to get this feeling that when I am in any of the cities, that they were planned (downtowns) so much better. They feel more relaxed than downtown Charlotte.

Oh well, these are just my opinions. I am not nearly as up on the politics as most of you seem to be.

In all honesty, I all of a sudden got a very warm fuzzy feeling today that Charlotte is about to shift into high-gear in terms of national and international recognition, much like Atlanta did in the early 80's. I think that our city planners and most politicians get it, and while we will continue to make some mistakes, I think the end result here will be a city that will receive intenational respect.

In my mind, there's a fine line between "realists" and "defeatists". "Realists" are tied to the current reality and lack an ability to "imagine" what can be.

Charlotte is better off if it aims high and misses the mark than to aim low and achieve mediocrity.

Welcome to the team, Grasshopper.

I think it will be exciting to see how transit development ties the local universities into the city's core. It appears that the north commuter line will be the first to tie Davidson into the fabric of the main city so it will be very interesting to see how both the College and Charlotte take advantage of that link (if they take advantage at all). Also, I anticipate that both UNCC and Winthrop will eventually be linked to the city's core through LRT or commuter train. Maybe some joint business or technology conferences between the schools, or something like a university art show in the center city. Either way, I'd love to see the schools work together more to help bring that youth vibe to Charlotte's center city fabric.

I realize that. I noted in my post that a portion of CMS is in trouble not all of it. Hopefully a new superintendent will help things but it sure is an uphill climb for the struggling schools. An issue not unique to Charlotte thats for sure.

It is definately not unique to just the Charlotte school system. My fiance is a middle school teacher in Cabarrus County and last week the principal announced changes to the lineup there. Almost all of the teachers will be moved around over the next couple of years. He's not simply wanting to move teachers from one team to the next in the same grade level but move even first year teachers to a completely new grade beginning next school year. We're definately fighting the move but there's not much that can be done except for put in for a transfer withing the system.

I only mention this because many problems exists that are unknown to the public in all school systems. I have heard my fiance say that CMS pays a lot more than Cabarrus County.

I am listening to "Charlotte Talks" right now on NPR/WFAE ( pledge, its their spring fundraiser!). The topic is funding education. I voted for the bond referendum because every child deserves the same quality education regardless of their socioeconomic status. Well performing schools attract new investment and industry because the people bringing in new companies trust that their employees children will get a worthwhile education which makes Charlotte's image even better. Our school board is insane unfortunately and I really don't think secession movements are the right way to go. Charleston County where I moved from also has major issues but they have invested heavily in Charter Schools/Magnets and its helped.

.... I voted for the bond referendum because every child deserves the same quality education regardless of their socioeconomic status. .....

The bonds would have primarly built schools in the suburban areas where presumably the students are at the upper levels of "socioeconomic status".

Well it should be more evenly distributed to our badly performing areas. The state of Maryland recently took over some of Baltimore's underperforming schools, maybe that is what we need to do in Charlotte if the board does not stop squabbling amongst themselves and making things worse.

I think it will be exciting to see how transit development ties the local universities into the city's core. It appears that the north commuter line will be the first to tie Davidson into the fabric of the main city so it will be very interesting to see how both the College and Charlotte take advantage of that link (if they take advantage at all). Also, I anticipate that both UNCC and Winthrop will eventually be linked to the city's core through LRT or commuter train. Maybe some joint business or technology conferences between the schools, or something like a university art show in the center city. Either way, I'd love to see the schools work together more to help bring that youth vibe to Charlotte's center city fabric.

I just filled out a CATs survey about the LYNX Blue Line, which will go up to UNC Charlotte. They asked if it would be best for the train to go by the Student Union or out on 29, and how often it would be used. The survey looks like it was sent out to all UNC Charlotte students by email.

It certainly looks like something is in the works.

I'm torn on the issue.....if it goes to the student union, then there is little hope of redeveloping the two ugly shopping centers on 29.....if it doesn't go to the heart of campus, most students won't be willing to make the rather long walk.....hmmmm....I say go for the students and f*** University City.

I'm torn on the issue.....if it goes to the student union, then there is little hope of redeveloping the two ugly shopping centers on 29.....if it doesn't go to the heart of campus, most students won't be willing to make the rather long walk.....hmmmm....I say go for the students and f*** University City.

I say the student union option is the best bet. Too bad you can't have it both ways with a spur to the campus that includes a late night service and have the main line continue to I-485. But that might make too much sense. How about selling the tickets on campus and including monthly/semester passes as an option to student cost. Also it would be easy to develop off campus apartments/condos near transit stations when you could catch the light rail to the heart of campus every morning. Now that would really boost ridership.

Amen atlrvr, i say go for the students as well, but i am biased seeing that i am a student. But, I am imagining this campus with a LRT station and how convinent it would be for us students to hop on the train and go to NoDa, the uptown nightlife and all the other things uptown has to offer. It would be cool if they did infact implement the station into the student union, that side of campus will change drastically. Oh well, to bad I will be long gone before it gets built. :cry:

BTW, is the NE line supposed to stop at campus, or continue on to LMS?

I just filled out a CATs survey about the LYNX Blue Line, which will go up to UNC Charlotte. They asked if it would be best for the train to go by the Student Union or out on 29, and how often it would be used. The survey looks like it was sent out to all UNC Charlotte students by email.

It certainly looks like something is in the works.

Yea, i just filled out the CATS survey as well. I definitely chose by the Student Union. Yea, it was sent to all students by way of email. I just wonder how many students are actually going to fill it out?, maybe i can coax them to fill it out.

• 1 year later...

The Financial Times group's fDi magazine ranked Charlotte No. 3 overall among large U.S. cities (500,000 to 2 million population) in its annual "North American Cities of the Future" selections. Within key categories, Charlotte finished No. 1 in the U.S. in economic potential, No. 1 in quality of life, No. 3 in best development and investment promotion and No. 5 in human resources.

I think this all bodes well for Charlotte climbing the ladder in becoming a world class, or global, city.

• 1 month later...

How about "Who will buy all the condos?" :o Or that "Development Whore?" thread might work too...

The median price of a home has gone up nearly 6.5 percent in the last year according to the National Association of Realtors, while the national median price was down by nearly 2 percent.

Archived