GM Factory Demolition-photos

statedude3

Until about 30 seconds ago, I had planned to post the photos I took this afternoon, but my camera is not being very nice today. I'll post the thread anyway for myself (when available) and others to post some pictures of the demolition and the progress made in clearing the two sites.

I just learned today that the MLK/Grand River site was previously part of the state fairgrounds and the racetrack was the original Oldmobile proving grounds. I guess you learn something new every day.

I grew up just 3 blocks from the MLK plant, so it's kinda sad seeing it go :cry: . I got to know some of the workers, and have great memories of my few trips inside. Anyway, I'll stop moping now, pictures to come soon.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are taking down the equally large Verlinden Street plant on the far western border of Lansing.

I've been trying to get some good pics, but they have the sites sealed off pretty well. I noticed they recently started on the southwestern corner of the MLK Plant.

They are taking down the equally large Verlinden Street plant on the far western border of Lansing.

I've been trying to get some good pics, but they have the sites sealed off pretty well. I noticed they recently started on the southwestern corner of the MLK Plant.

The best spot I found was the sidewalk on the Northbound overpass. I am going to get my camera fixed tomorrow, and be sure to get some good pictures.

I was thinking that, as well, but you'd still have to shoot through the mesh grating covering the bridge. Not exactly the best shot, to say the least.

I was also thinking I could go down to the southbank of the river, but then I forgot that the small cooling towers of the Eckert that line the river go all the way down to the bridge, and would block the view.

Then, there is security if you try to get in through the entrance at the new Grand River Assembly, and a closed gate at Olds and MLK. I sure hope GM has someone to document the work, or if the LSJ is, because this is really a huge piece of our history.

They are tearing down Lansing Car Assembly Plants #1 (until demolition started, was the oldest, continually operate car assembly in the country, supposedly):

arial.jpg

Which is visible in the foreground (the whiter parts are the new Grand River Assembly, that essentially replaced it).

And Lansing Car Assembly Plant #6 (Verlinden Avenue, farwestside):

6-saginaw.jpg

And the aerial of both sites:

Plant #1 (again, in the southwest corner of the site, mostly)

121026562_d3afd963d7_o.jpg

And to show how close #1 is downtown...

121026561_4f8f6296e4_o.jpg

Plant #6 (located in the lower right of this aerial)

121026563_c590ebe331_o.jpg

Plant #2 (Craft Centre, recently shuttered) can be seen directly to the left, and Plant #3 (Lansing Metal Fabrication, also recently announced to close) in the upper right, both located in nearby Lansing Township.

As you can see, the area is looking at a lot of new land to redevelop, and quite a few loss manufacturing jobs, though unlike in other cities, some of these jobs have been saved with the construction of the Grand River Assembly and the Delta Township plant that's nearly completed.

Well, kind of. We are lucky in that GM decided to build their new facilities in the Lansing area. They didn't have to. They could have did what they did in Flint and Detroit and just pulled up and pretty much left. In fact, I think when the GR Assembly was built back in 2002, it was GM's first assembly plant in North America in years, and that they are building an even bigger plant out in Delta Township is just a testament to how much they value the area. I routinely hear that GR Assembly is ranked one of the top GM plants in the North America.

Still, GM has pulled out of good cities before and left them for dead. Lansing is still struggling to diversify its economy, thus the noticable population loss over the 90's. Lansing would be in much better shape if it could not be so beholden to the whims of GM.

Overall Lansing will have lost a lot of jobs from a few years ago over all this. The Delta Township Assembly Plant will employ 2900 workers total when it starts production, I think the Grand River Assembly Plant employs 1800, for a total of 4600. The Plant#1/Verlinden complex employed 5900 through most of the nineties. Plus the few hundred wirkers at the Craft Center that will be lost and 1200 at Metal Fabricating. I think the total job loss from GM alone will be just under 3000 over the past 10 years, also a loss or closing of almost 10 million sq. ft. of factory.

Archived