The European Feel of Greenville

gs3

We all talk about it....the European feel of downtown Greenville. Some see it more than others. It's in many of the details and quality of life issues. Whats your opinion? What makes Greenville feel European to you?

Here is a run of photos of one of the things I feel gives Greenville's downtown that European flair. The signage. No neon glaring at you, no hard core capitalist advertising hitting you in the face. Instead, these.....small quaint hand painted signs, hanging in front of the storefronts. How fitting the first photo is Paris Cafe & Bakery. :D

CIMG4663.jpg

CIMG4665.jpg

CIMG4666.jpg

CIMG4667.jpg

CIMG4668.jpg

CIMG4669.jpg

CIMG4670.jpg

CIMG4671.jpg

CIMG4672.jpg

CIMG4673.jpg

CIMG4674.jpg

CIMG4675.jpg

CIMG4677.jpg

CIMG4678.jpg

CIMG4679.jpg

CIMG4682.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How fitting the first photo is Paris Cafe & Bakery. :D

I wondered in on Saturday only to find they're not yet open. They're opening Monday :shades:

These shingles hanging from store fronts are one of the many things I love about Downtown Greenville! This is a great idea for a thread, gsupstate! :wub:

I don't have enough time to tell all of the reasons I love Greenville's European feel, but I LOVE this topic to death! The very first reason I think of is the large number of European people walking around and enjoying town. Just yesterday, after arriving back home, I took a few friends out for a walk down Main and through Falls Park. We spent so much time talking with new friends we'd never met before that afternoon - most of who are new to Greenville and came from other countries. The park was absolutely crawling with people of all ages and ethnicities! I love watching Europeans enjoy the warm weather with their friends and family. They seem to take full advantage of the fun offered by a lovely free natural park with water running through. This is one of the greatest attractions Greenville should boast as it sets this city far above many others in terms of quality of life. :wub:

Great idea for a thread gsupstate! Great photos too.

RT, I wandered into Paris Cafe as well to buy a bottled water, but said they wouldn't have any until monday. Their selection was quite slim, but now I know why. It looks like its going to be a great place.

Oh, and by the way. If anyone wants a first-hand look at some Urban Archaeology, take a walk into Venti, go all the way to the back of the store, and look out the windows. It's like a time capsule. :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Another one of our euro like qualities is our incredible arts scene. Growing up, I was able to experince many things that others did not. The Children's Theater and the Fine Arts Center have set a tradition for excellence in the arts for the community. Not to mention our other theaters (little, warehouse, center stage etc.) We have an incredible FREE art museum. It's those things among others that really give Greenville, dare I say it, it's open mindedness. And that freedom to express yourself or to experience the perspective of someone else is very "european".

It's those things among others that really give Greenville, dare I say it, it's open mindedness. And that freedom to express yourself or to experience the perspective of someone else is very "european".

Agree 100% adrock2! Great statement! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Since this thread popped back up today, I was more aware of the real European feel in downtown while walking up and down Main Street this afternoon. I already mentioned that it is totally normal to hear various foreign languages everytime you take a walk down Main Street, and this evening was no exception. I counted three different languages (French, German, and something else) in one block alone, and other places I randomly heard more of the same. When you live in Greenville and frequent downtown, this becomes an aspect of life you eventually take for granted. However, it is always something I take pride in. :wub:

Falls Cottage feels and looks very European to me. The first two places that come to mind (after Greenville, of course) are England and France. :shades:

FallsCottage.jpg

Wonderful photo Skyliner! Anybody noticed that with all the rain we've had recently Greenville is REALLY green!!! A beautiful spring. :D Your photo of Falls Cottage shows this off well Skyliner.

Here's another from Main early this morning. Everything is sooooooo green! :wub:

CIMG5225.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived