Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ronald

Emden, Germany

17 posts in this topic

Went to a congress of Northwestern Europe's urban planners last week in Emden. The focus there was on waterside development. Not only was this congress interresting, the town itself was quite nice aswell.

Here are some pics:

my hotel

emden0273uo.jpg

a street nearby the city center

emden0294zv.jpg

the city's central square at night

emden0432sl.jpg

view of the city center from the top of the town hall

emden0556gy.jpg

the harbour

emden0576ri.jpg

all houses are made of (red) brick

emden0595cx.jpg

the center again

emden0624zy.jpg

view of the central square

emden0612zn.jpg

the town hall

emden0671ep.jpg

some shots of a residential neighbourhood

emden0694ct.jpg

can you believe that the same house in holland costs 5 times as much as this one?

emden0867ba.jpg

there are poorer areas aswell. mostly Russian immigrants live in these flats.

emden0747ws.jpg

an abandoned military base, built in 1910.

emden0712oq.jpg

these building just sit there, wasting away.

emden0720dk.jpg

an old war bunker.

emden1257gc.jpg

a pic from the inside (reminds me of "medal of honour", a pc game that I played a few years ago)

emden1333jv.jpg

the shopping area in the city's center

emden1471sb.jpg

quiet residential street

emden1491zc.jpg

that's all, hope you enjoyed them :)

Beautiful pictures! I love the character of the city and the city streets. :) Looks like a very endearing place.

Something you'll almost always notice in Europe is the lack of powerlines messing things up.

I wish our cities and town centers had their utility wires underground.

Otherwise, great pictures...the "poor" section doesn't exactly look all that bad from an American standpoint.

Great pics Ronald. Emden looks like a very nice town. Just curious do you have any info on it? How big is it?

I also like how you always manage to get some shots from up above. You get a really good look at the city.

Thanks everybody.

@Mith, the city has got 52,000 inhabitants at the moment. They had 65,000 in the 70's. It's a shrinking city, that's why they are unable to give a new use to the old, abandoned military base. They already got a hospital in town and there is not enough demand to turn it into housing/ a college campus/ a prison/ etc. So basically, the city is shrinking and there are tons of empty appartments in town. That's also why houses are a lot cheaper there, compared to in the Netherlands, which is only about 20 miles from Emden.

What they did manage to do, it give new life to the old war bunker. It has been turned into a racism-information center, meant to inform people that racism is untolerable in modern society. There are also convention rooms in the bunker and computer classes are thought there.

Oh and by the way, the entire town was destroyed during WW2. The center might look historical, that's because they kept the original street pattern and rebuilt the houses there in an old, pre-WW2 style. But everything is, at most, 50 to 60 years old.

I see, thanks for the info. I would have never guessed that everything was built that recently. I wonder why it's shrinking. Is the economy in that area not doing very well? As borders disappear more wiht the EU do you think there's a possibility that perhaps people from the Netherlands could move in and still work and such over in the Netherlands if prices for homes and apartments there are much cheaper?

Wow this looks like the quintessential European city. Germany is a very cool country. I like the inside of the abandoned military base pic.. I love the color of the hotel as well :)

I see, thanks for the info. I would have never guessed that everything was built that recently. I wonder why it's shrinking. Is the economy in that area not doing very well? As borders disappear more wiht the EU do you think there's a possibility that perhaps people from the Netherlands could move in and still work and such over in the Netherlands if prices for homes and apartments there are much cheaper?

I think the city is shrinking because of it's remote location. Both in Germany and in the Netherlands, this area is extremely far removed from the more populated areas (by European measures). It takes 4 hours (by train) to get from Emden to one of Holland's major cities. It takes two and a half hour to get to Hamburg from Emden. Such a location isn't really stimulating growth, I guess.

emden8ag.png

And, borders are indeed dissapearing in the EU. We drove to Germany without having to go through customs. Any EU citizen can freely live in another EU country. There has been an exodus of Dutch people living near the Belgian and German border, to the other side of the border. Their main reason was to escape the high Dutch income tax (up to 50% on higher incomes) and to find WAY cheaper housing.

But again, the location of Emden is just too remote, so the city doesn't attract a lot of Dutch immigrants. More to the south, there's Dutch people living in Germany and still working in Holland.

Here's a pic I took whilst we drove accros the border

emden0114fu.jpg

Thanks for the info Ronald. I don't seem to be having much luck with your pic of crossing the border though.

Nevermind, just took a long time I guess to work.

Great pics. :thumbsup: They bring back fond memories of my trips and studies in Germany.

Germany, along with Holland, Switzerland, the Czech Republic are high on my list of favorite places.

I visited Emden for the first time in March, when I took the pics shown above.

I returned to the city in May. Here are some more pictures of the city I took during my second trip there.

Note how a city can look very different in the spring, compared to in the winter!

Welcome to the neighbourhood of Barenburg!

imag0006as4.jpg

A typical street.

imag0002bb5.jpg

imag0003cb1.jpg

imag0007bc0.jpg

I liked this park.

imag0005ys7.jpg

Remember these horrible residential hi-rises? I went to the top floor of them, and took the following pictures of the neighbourhood from there.

glasspalacepa8.jpg

barenburgeq6.jpg

A blue Autobahn sign can be seen in the distance.

barenburg1mj8.jpg

barenburg2im5.jpg

One last shot of the neighbourhood of Barenburg. It's considered to be a very deteriorating area.

imag0026ja8.jpg

This is the only (!) structure in Emden that actually survived world war 2. The rest of the city was all rebuilt after the war.

imag0024jc3.jpg

This is an painting school, art gallery and cafeteria, all in one building.

imag0038us5.jpg

Church spire.

imag0023sc2.jpg

Last pic, the view from the roof of my hotel.

imag0016oo8.jpg

That's it :)

I love German towns! The only thing you could do to make me want to visit there more is to take a picture of a nice, German inn breakfast.

Thanks!

Neaman, haha you asked for it! This is a Schnitzel :)

emden157eb8.jpg

Thanks!

Neaman, haha you asked for it! This is a Schnitzel :)

Great pics, like said earlier, I would not have guessed that the city had been completely rebuilt so recently.

jagersnitzel!!! :w00t: what i would give for that plate right now! nice pictures!