Proposed World Trade Center (Orlando)

firemick

That guy was talking about the fact that there is nothing in the entire metro that would be considered urban and the fact that if I lived in I-drive I could walk to everything that I would ever need. Entertainment, Shopping, Movies, work if I worked somewhere there, wide array of dining.... stuff that downtown lacks. And its all withing a few miles of each other. Its probably the most "together" place in the whole metro... thats all I am saying ese....

Well the problem with that is that there are nothing but service sector jobs in the I-Drive area, nothing like a real downtown. I-Drive is just a place for tourists and conventioners.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That guy was talking about the fact that there is nothing in the entire metro that would be considered urban and the fact that if I lived in I-drive I could walk to everything that I would ever need. Entertainment, Shopping, Movies, work if I worked somewhere there, wide array of dining.... stuff that downtown lacks. And its all withing a few miles of each other. Its probably the most "together" place in the whole metro... thats all I am saying ese....

OK, but you don't live there and neither does anyone else.... people just spend the night there. To be urban you need residents that call the place home. All I'm saying is

although there are only about 6 blocks square (from Thornton Park to Wall Street) that offer a good density of restarants with a small grocery and publix under construction and soon to be movie theater. The people that will be living in Sancturary, Solaire, 55W, Trad Towers, Dynetech, Metropolitan, Star, Paramount, The Rosalind, Luthern Towers, Majestic, 101S, 201S, Jackson, Brownstones, 117N Eola, Post Parkside, Reeves House, Thornton Central ... can get to all those places within a 5 minute walk. And those people will actually live there. And each of these mixed use projects will be adding shops and restaraunts, in addition to thousands of full time residents.

IMO, the human density in downtown will soon blow away the human density on I Drive ... and the term walking distance must be stretched quite a bit to be applied to I Drive.

Just my opinion ...

um, yea, i have been living here for about three years, and just this weekend, it was my first time on i-drive on a saturday night...reason behind it was i needed gas and was leaving universal. lets just say i will never make that mistake again, and also there are no gas stations over there! to define i-drive as urban is extremely hard to believe and a little small minded. the fashion square mall has movies, entertainment, shopping, food...is it urban too?

Having been raised in the country and wide open spaces I consider most anything that's not a cow pasture as urban. I can see the points that you all are making about urban versus suburban and it's well taken.

I think I'll just adjust my position to merely saying that Orlando will have 3 skylines.

OK, but you don't live there and neither does anyone else.... people just spend the night there. To be urban you need residents that call the place home. All I'm saying is

although there are only about 6 blocks square (from Thornton Park to Wall Street) that offer a good density of restarants with a small grocery and publix under construction and soon to be movie theater. The people that will be living in Sancturary, Solaire, 55W, Trad Towers, Dynetech, Metropolitan, Star, Paramount, The Rosalind, Luthern Towers, Majestic, 101S, 201S, Jackson, Brownstones, 117N Eola, Post Parkside, Reeves House, Thornton Central ... can get to all those places within a 5 minute walk. And those people will actually live there. And each of these mixed use projects will be adding shops and restaraunts, in addition to thousands of full time residents.

IMO, the human density in downtown will soon blow away the human density on I Drive ... and the term walking distance must be stretched quite a bit to be applied to I Drive.

Just my opinion ...

Now we just have to convince the people to walk instead of piling into their SUV to go a mile down the street...

I'm not guilty of this.... Nooooooo...

:ph34r:

Now we just have to convince the people to walk instead of piling into their SUV to go a mile down the street...

I'd drive the mile too in the florida heat ... but if I lived in Thornton ... I think I'd walk to the Paramount Publix or the Premiere Trade movie theater.

Well having lived downtown now for the past 4 years, between work, eat, and play, I have gone a week or so without getting in my car... so i think that's pretty good urban progress...

and thats mostly for drives to college park or winter park for more restaurants and movies. Which is thankfully being solved downtown as we speak. But, I'm still having to hit up Millenium Mall though for shopping and such, so i'd consider that my farest reach. I don't really care for hanging around badly dressed pale skin tourists, so i'm not very "attracted" to the "attractions" area, unless my arm is twisted.

in any case, i think we are heading in the right direction, but we need to start brining in some cool retail. Hopefully as the new condos fill up, we'll start attracting some of that in the CBD.

off topic, oh well: Last time I was in town I noticed the Market Street Cafe of Celebration going in on Central. This is going to be a big hit with the lunch crowd. I know it is in Celebration.

They were hiring on Monday, so I would think they will be opening within 2 weeks.

I wonder if the Publix will be the end of the Central City Market around the corner???

THat site is where the 3,000 room Carlson Hotel was supposed to go back before 9/11, back when Rosen scoffed at their ability to get financing.

For the sake of argument: I-Drive as an employment center:

1. Harcourt Publishing (Westwood)

2. Orlando CVB & 2-bldg. office complex visible from I-4 (Westwood)

3. Martin Lockeed (Kirkman & Sand Lake)

4. Coleman Aerospace (or former location off Carrier and subsequent companies leasing space off of Carrier)

Anyway, what is the latest with Citymark other than demolition? I'll make the same query on that thread.

Archived