New Hotel for Church Street?

smeagolsfree

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The NBJ is reporting that the Doctors building on Church may be converted to a hotel. What you see done with this building? This is right across the street from the proposed Federal courthouse.

http://nashville.bizjournals.com/nashville.../03/story3.html

Sorry to see Cibo close. I hope they reopen somewhere else downtown.

If Homewood Suites happens - it will be great for Downtown Nashville. Other cities with downtown properties are: Chicago, Seattle and Salt lake City. When Homewood Suites opens a downtown property it is usually a very upscale one and is unofficially considered a flagship hotel. There is not a better hotel fit for that building.

Homewood Suites is Hilton's extended stay concept. It is geared for guests who need a stay for more than 5-7 nights. The hotel offers complimentary breakfasts, evening receptions (light meal and usually wine and beer) and suite-style rooms.

I guess someone could have put in a Hotel Monaco but that may have been too hip for the judges who'd be moving in across the street when the Federal Courthouse is built.

The NBJ is reporting that the Doctors building on Church may be converted to a hotel. What you see done with this building? This is right across the street from the proposed Federal courthouse.

If only we could do something substantial with the lot across the street (7th) where the Hotel Tulane used to stand... I think it has stood vacant as a parking lot for over 40 years now.

I believe the parking lot in question (behnd the old library) has specific limitation on use. This is my understanding so anyone please correct if I am off target.

A family trust allows Metro to use it and the old library building as long as there is a functioning library on site. It is a good deal for both Metro and the landowner. For Metro it gets teh use of a great plot for free and for the land trust they do nothav eto pay annual propert taxes or insurance on the plot as it appreciates over the decades. The stipulation being that if the librry ever left the trust would assume full ownership and use of the plot. Now when Bredesen got the new d'town library they pulled a fast one and left a small library presence still in t ebuilding so that the land would not revert back to the trust.

Sounds convoluted but that is the story I have heard from more than one person. Maybe IJD has more details.

I believe the parking lot in question (behnd the old library) has specific limitation on use. This is my understanding so anyone please correct if I am off target.

That's what I've understood, but I keep wondering if there is any way to specifically acquire the parking lot itself where the old hotel stood (either from Metro or the aforementioned family). For that piece of prime real estate on Church to remain a parking lot is outrageous.

For those that have never seen the beautiful Hotel that once stood on this lot, please take a look at this: http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/...HotelTulane.htm

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/...telTulane_B.htm

http://www.nashvillewebreview.com/automat/...ckelyview5.html

You just want to cry at what architecture was deliberately demolished in the city... :cry:

I think it is now an atrium instead of a courtyard. I had for years tried to figure out what department store was at the corner of Church and 7th. Looks as if it was a Sears. You can see the oultine of the name on the black granite above the doors if you look close enough.

I think it is now an atrium instead of a courtyard. I had for years tried to figure out what department store was at the corner of Church and 7th. Looks as if it was a Sears. You can see the oultine of the name on the black granite above the doors if you look close enough.

Are you referring to the old Castner-Knot building where Morton's is now located?

Are you referring to the old Castner-Knot building where Morton's is now located?

I think Memphian is referring to the Sears (which can be made out in the last picture) at the southeast corner of 8th & Church. That structure is still there today, but I presume will be demolished to make way for the new Federal Courthouse.

Archived