New 8 story downtown condo

sleepy

I believe there was an earlier thread about this project, stretching down Union from around 4th to Danny Thomas. Details are still pretty sketchy, but here's some new stuff. Apparently--from reading the article--the project will consist of 4 eight story buildings alongside each side of 4th. The architects will be Looney, Ricks, Kiss, so it ought to be good.

520,000 square feet with 309 condominium units, including 83,000 sq. ft. of ground level commercial/retail.

http://memphis.bizjournals.com/memphis/sto...ry2.html?page=1

The downtown developer newsletter lists 2780 downtown condo units planned, under construction, or in conversion, so this will push it up to 3089 units.

http://www.downtownmemphis.com/domain/docu...ondo_report.pdf

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great project that will hopefully spur the redevelopment of the downtown core to Danny Thomas, which creates a pretty good border for downtown/CBD IMO. At 200 million for 4 buildings thats a lot of good investment and urban development for the city from a single project. I would hope that much development would be the leading edge for more investment that area of downtown, esp. to help flesh out some new developments at the end of Beale street, which literally stops past the New Daisey very abruptly.

Yeah, that looks like a good project, but at a very preliminary phase. It's across the street east of Greyhound, isn't it? Any news on what will happen with that land? Maybe a mid-rise hotel/residential building?

I also think that the area might be a good location for a relocated library (last I heard there are still plans to close the Cossitt branch). Could help establish the gateway with an iconic public-access landmark building focusing on education to complement the entertainment-focus of AZP and Beale.

Archived