Taxis In Providence

Recchia

I was wondering if anybody had the rates of some of the local cabs around the city. Being the drunk that I am on the weekends, I was wondering how much it would cost for me to get from Downtown to Pawtucket, and if one company is better than another. Any recommendations?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering if anybody had the rates of some of the local cabs around the city. Being the drunk that I am on the weekends, I was wondering how much it would cost for me to get from Downtown to Pawtucket, and if one company is better than another. Any recommendations?

$2.00 drop charge and $0.25 for each 1/8 of a mile. Checker Cab has been the best from my experience. Of course, my expectations have been reduced because numerous taxi companies that I have called never showed up.

Funny you should post that...I've been noticing so many cabs around...my friends are actually hailing them on the streets!

AWESOME! that's the way it should be, especially late at night downtown (or in other areas with bars) so drunks like recchia can get home safely after the buses stop and i can stop being the designated driver when my friends come to visit (since i'm the one who knows the area and where to park and it's easier than explaining to someone else). :D

They're always waiting on Dorrance right between Westminster and KP. I just don't know how much they are and if it'd be worth to take one all the way to Bucket. Or if I should drunk ride my bike instead. I too am sick of being the DD or hanging around at someones house til I sober up...

They're always waiting on Dorrance right between Westminster and KP. I just don't know how much they are and if it'd be worth to take one all the way to Bucket. Or if I should drunk ride my bike instead. I too am sick of being the DD or hanging around at someones house til I sober up...

At least your thinking straight, in that you won't be driving drunk. But I don't think they can get ya for riding a bike drunk. :) However, if your that drunk, the police can take you to the hospital detox unit where you'll wait untill you sober up. Figure a taxi cab will cost you between $ 20-25, which is cheaper than a $ 3,500 DUI or a night in the ER. The cab company in Pawtucket is Quality Cab but they cannot pick you up in Providence.

At least your thinking straight, in that you won't be driving drunk. But I don't think they can get ya for riding a bike drunk. :) However, if your that drunk, the police can take you to the hospital detox unit where you'll wait untill you sober up. Figure a taxi cab will cost you between $ 20-25, which is cheaper than a $ 3,500 DUI or a night in the ER. The cab company in Pawtucket is Quality Cab but they cannot pick you up in Providence.

Lol

20-25 dollars?? Eh forget it. I'm gonna email RIPTA instead and demand a 2:30am drunk bus loop instead.

I was a dispatcher for Red & White Cab. Unless you make friends with a driver, you're looking at $2.50 per mile no matter who you take.

$3,500.00 for a DUI? Is that the court fine or is that how much you stuff in the envelope to make it disappear? I saw an article in the paper last year which revealed Providence PD arrested only 24 people in '04 while South Kingstown Police booked 120. Go figure!

If RIPTA can service RIC at 12:30am why can't there be a drunk bus at 2:30?! Let them charge double, who cares?! :yahoo:

$3,500.00 for a DUI? Is that the court fine or is that how much you stuff in the envelope to make it disappear?

No, my friend. That's the cost of the lawyer's fee, fines and penalties. And keep in mind that this figure dosen't include how much your auto insurance will increase, which can double or triple. I just went through it which is why I was taking RIPTA buses which I saw as invaluable.

I emailed a friend at RIPTA about why they don't have late night service on weekend nights, I thought I'd share his response here:

In answer to your question, we run late night service back to PC, Salve Regina, and Roger Williams. We used to run it back to URI, but the students got so rowdy we discontinued it. Plus we had to stop halfway down and let everyone off to pee. I kid you not. We called it a fresh air break and it only occurred on the late late service.

Late night service is not considered sensible nationally by transit authorities. I agree with you that service such as you proposed would go a long way towards solving problems, but it creates new ones that inevitably the transit authority must shoulder alone. In no particular order, here is what happens.

You reduce the amount of drunk drivers. GOOD

You substantially increase the risk of people puking, pissing, and fudgeing all over your buses. BAD

The drunks abuse the drivers. BAD

The drunks miss the last bus and stand around the plaza in tank tops in January crying and puking and pissing in the gutter with no coats on. Then our Supervisors drive them home where they puke and piss in the van. BAD

Here

I emailed a friend at RIPTA about why they don't have late night service on weekend nights, I thought I'd share his response here:

In answer to your question, we run late night service back to PC, Salve Regina, and Roger Williams. We used to run it back to URI, but the students got so rowdy we discontinued it. Plus we had to stop halfway down and let everyone off to pee. I kid you not. We called it a fresh air break and it only occurred on the late late service.

Late night service is not considered sensible nationally by transit authorities. I agree with you that service such as you proposed would go a long way towards solving problems, but it creates new ones that inevitably the transit authority must shoulder alone. In no particular order, here is what happens.

You reduce the amount of drunk drivers. GOOD

You substantially increase the risk of people puking, pissing, and fudgeing all over your buses. BAD

The drunks abuse the drivers. BAD

The drunks miss the last bus and stand around the plaza in tank tops in January crying and puking and pissing in the gutter with no coats on. Then our Supervisors drive them home where they puke and piss in the van. BAD

Here

I was a dispatcher for Red & White Cab. Unless you make friends with a driver, you're looking at $2.50 per mile no matter who you take.

$3,500.00 for a DUI? Is that the court fine or is that how much you stuff in the envelope to make it disappear? I saw an article in the paper last year which revealed Providence PD arrested only 24 people in '04 while South Kingstown Police booked 120. Go figure!

If RIPTA can service RIC at 12:30am why can't there be a drunk bus at 2:30?! Let them charge double, who cares?! :yahoo:

the cops in south kingstown don't have as much other stuff to deal with as the providence cops... they're real pains in the behind when it comes to speeding and stuff and they're really tough on the URI students... but if you think about it, they have the worst of both worlds... URI for 9 months and tourists for the other 3.

yeah, I dont see why they can't just run special schedules like they do for old folks going shopping, etc. It doesn't need to be the same time on Thurs and Friday.

The 55 leaves KP at 1am on Thurs-Fri and 1:15am on Sat. The 60 leaves KP at 1:15am on Thurs-Fri.

Here's what I'd like:

-Run the 42 (Hope St. to Pawtucket) at 1:15 on Thurs, 2:15 on Fri-Sat. This would get all the East-Siders home and all the Bucket people at least back to within stumbling distance.

-Run the 55 and 60 at 1:15 Thurs, 2:15 Fri-Sat.

-Run the 3 at 1:15 Thurs, 2:15 Fri-Sat to hit the south side and get all the Warwick drunks outta here.

Federal Hill you can pretty much walk to, but maybe something down Atwells and then out Plainfield St.

yeah, I dont see why they can't just run special schedules like they do for old folks going shopping, etc. It doesn't need to be the same time on Thurs and Friday.

The 55 leaves KP at 1am on Thurs-Fri and 1:15am on Sat. The 60 leaves KP at 1:15am on Thurs-Fri.

Here's what I'd like:

-Run the 42 (Hope St. to Pawtucket) at 1:15 on Thurs, 2:15 on Fri-Sat. This would get all the East-Siders home and all the Bucket people at least back to within stumbling distance.

-Run the 3 at 1:15 Thurs, 2:15 Fri-Sat to hit the south side and get all the Warwick drunks outta here.

Federal Hill you can pretty much walk to, but maybe something down Atwells and then out Plainfield St.

this would work really well... why there isn't a late night service on these lines baffles me. also, i am sort of surprised by the number of newport area people that come up here to party... aren't the bars down there pretty good too?

At least your thinking straight, in that you won't be driving drunk. But I don't think they can get ya for riding a bike drunk.

Well my friend got a BUI (Biking under the influence) in San Diego, but I think California has a different set of rules. Either way, it provides a good story and it's a lot less dangerous than driving.

Well my friend got a BUI (Biking under the influence) in San Diego, but I think California has a different set of rules. Either way, it provides a good story and it's a lot less dangerous than driving.

Yeah, at least biking drunk you'd only really be a danger to yourself. Or maybe some bushes or a side mirror on a car or something..

Here's what I'd like:

Running a late 42 bus would be great.

• 3 months later...

I personally feel that the colleges should provide a downtown late night pickup for their students. Show an ID and get a ride back to campus after the bars close. The school I went to freshman year in upstate NY did just that. Great idea and a selling point for parents sending their kids to school.

Then RIPTA could run a late night service for responible drunks :) that won't get rowdy and puke (etc.).

I personally feel that the colleges should provide a downtown late night pickup for their students. Show an ID and get a ride back to campus after the bars close. The school I went to freshman year in upstate NY did just that. Great idea and a selling point for parents sending their kids to school.

Then RIPTA could run a late night service for responible drunks :) that won't get rowdy and puke (etc.).

that makes sense in college towns where there's not much for public transit... but public transit in a city like providence should run late enough to cover the closing of bars at 2.

PC has a shuttle that brings students to their apartments off campus and around campus, but other than that, there's no reason for one when ripta can take kids downtown. and let's face it, the main reason they go down there is to drink.

the only colleges that would need it are PC and RIC. the others are all close enough to downtown that the students can walk.

Archived