Taxis In Providence

Recchia

I personally feel that the colleges should provide a downtown late night pickup for their students. Show an ID and get a ride back to campus after the bars close. The school I went to freshman year in upstate NY did just that. Great idea and a selling point for parents sending their kids to school.

RISD has a shuttle (which it runs with Brown) called safeRIDE. It runs through parts of Downtown and the East Side (basically RISDs campus) until 3:00am. The service is designed for students working in their studios to be able to get back to their dorms, and not so much for late night partying.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RISD has a shuttle (which it runs with Brown) called safeRIDE. It runs through parts of Downtown and the East Side (basically RISDs campus) until 3:00am. The service is designed for students working in their studios to be able to get back to their dorms, and not so much for late night partying.

uconn used to have a shuttle that would not pick you up if you were drunk, it was meant solely for the use of people not wanting to walk across campus alone at night. you were forced to call a separate one that basically had trained staff on hand in case of problems. of course there were also regular shuttle buses to get you around campus, but they had a limted schedule on the weekend and didn't run too late at night.

I personally feel that the colleges should provide a downtown late night pickup for their students. Show an ID and get a ride back to campus after the bars close. The school I went to freshman year in upstate NY did just that. Great idea and a selling point for parents sending their kids to school.

Then RIPTA could run a late night service for responible drunks :) that won't get rowdy and puke (etc.).

Some of the colleges in Worcester (Assumption at least) have SafeRide which if you call a certain cab company (yellow cab) and show a school ID it's a $4 flat fee back to campus from any bar in town.

Hey, does anyone know what the going rate is for a cab ride from the city to the airport? I have a 7am flight next Sunday morning and my wife/kids are out of town so I dont have anyone to drop me off.

the last time i took a cab from TF Green it was about $25 and it was about a year ago...

• 3 months later...
My limited experience with Providence cabs is a bit negative and has nothing to do with riding in them (which I've done once or twice), but hearing them honk their horns at all hours of the day to let people know, "I'm heeere!"

The latest incident was last night at 2 AM by a Checker Cab. Evidently the people across the street didn't come out and the Checker Cab driver thought it was a good idea to park on my side of the street and lay on the horn. Unfortunately, he drove off before I stumbled downstairs to talk to him; a call to his dispatcher was equally frustrating ("Hey this isn't a perfect world").

I don't understand why after 10 PM these guys:

a) Feel it's OK to honk to announce their arrival, and

b) If there passengers aren't waiting for them, couldn't the drivers contact them on their cell phones or via their dispatchers - why the horn?

• 2 weeks later...
My limited experience with Providence cabs is a bit negative and has nothing to do with riding in them (which I've done once or twice), but hearing them honk their horns at all hours of the day to let people know, "I'm heeere!"

The latest incident was last night at 2 AM by a Checker Cab. Evidently the people across the street didn't come out and the Checker Cab driver thought it was a good idea to park on my side of the street and lay on the horn. Unfortunately, he drove off before I stumbled downstairs to talk to him; a call to his dispatcher was equally frustrating ("Hey this isn't a perfect world").

I don't understand why after 10 PM these guys:

a) Feel it's OK to honk to announce their arrival, and

b) If there passengers aren't waiting for them, couldn't the drivers contact them on their cell phones or via their dispatchers - why the horn?

You expect this from the crackheads and club kids pulling up at 2:30, but I've noticed the take-out delivery guys do it now too. WTF is the deal with this? Are we supposed to come down from the 3rd floor to get the food at the driver's car window and tip them too? I delivered pizza when I first graduated high school and never did this crap. I mean try knocking on the door and ring the bell a few times, then call the number on the receipt. Rocket science it isn't.

A couple months back I ordered Chinese and I specifically asked the phone girl to inform the driver "DON'T BEEP THE HORN" because people are sleeping. I thought it was a reasonable request - its late, my house sits a couple feet back from the street, and people are sleeping. Sure enough, 11:46 pm, BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP! The first time in my life I didn't duke the driver.

I'm still protesting - I haven't called that particular place since the incident.

In my experience, shift managers don't really care what you have to say about it - they are usually up to their eyeballs handling restaurant stuff and don't have time for guest relations inquiries. They really should care though!

Domino's? :sick: Blehhhhhhggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived