Wal*Mart drops to #2

The Fortune 500 numbers are out for 2006 and ExxonMobile has passed Wal*Mart. Now this obviously doesnt mean that WM is falling behind, it simply means that EM has seen a huge surge of 42% in the last year. The site is pretty cool, using the links on the right you can sort the companies by state, industry, etc.

CNN Money: 2006 Fortune 500

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Fortune 500 numbers are out for 2006 and ExxonMobile has passed Wal*Mart. Now this obviously doesnt mean that WM is falling behind, it simply means that EM has seen a huge surge of 42% in the last year. The site is pretty cool, using the links on the right you can sort the companies by state, industry, etc.

CNN Money: 2006 Fortune 500

Nooooo!!! Say it ain't so! Oh well, just like before, wal-mart will pass them up again.

In this time of a general lack of oil due to Katrina hitting the gulf coast, I must say that the oil companies are recovering very well!

Is it coincidence that the biggest profits in oil coincide with Bush's presidency? Nope. (Bush and Dick are Oilmen.)

In this time of a general lack of oil due to Katrina hitting the gulf coast, I must say that the oil companies are recovering very well!

Is it coincidence that the biggest profits in oil coincide with Bush's presidency? Nope. (Bush and Dick are Oilmen.)

Absolutely. It isn't just a coincidence. I understand the whole supply and demand concept.

However, no one can explain to me why the oil companies make such big profits, but other businesses

do not. I understand they have to make a profit. But, to make a profit like that while draining our pockets with their high prices the way they have is gut-wrenching. It looks like we are on our way to returning to post Katrina prices, for no apparrent reeason. The prices crept slowly up to around $2.25. Then all of a sudden the price jumped to $2.45 in one day. Then it went up to $2.49, down slightly to $2.43, then all of a sudden a .12 cent jump in one day to its current price of $2.55!

I would say that Katrina had a double impact.....it closed dozens of Wal-Marts for weeks-months, and it raised the price of gas......this should be no surprise to everyone considering the Fortune 500 is a measure of revenue and not profit.

As far as the Bush bashing, I would say that Bush is a Wal-Mart man too, so I think the presidency has little relevance....unless you think that Bush has developed machines capable of creating natural disaster to manipulate the economy to his liking.

I would say that Katrina had a double impact.....it closed dozens of Wal-Marts for weeks-months, and it raised the price of gas......this should be no surprise to everyone considering the Fortune 500 is a measure of revenue and not profit.

As far as the Bush bashing, I would say that Bush is a Wal-Mart man too, so I think the presidency has little relevance....unless you think that Bush has developed machines capable of creating natural disaster to manipulate the economy to his liking.

Well I almost clicked "add reply", but I realized some of what I typed has put people in prison for less under the Bushman's regime. Noone is safe.

All hail Bush!

I'm not sure when Wal-mart might pass them up again. As oil prices keep going up it's just going to be more profits for the oil companies. I admit I don't quite understand how the oil companies get to keep having record profits. I thought I had heard something about the government messed up with dealing with the oil companies decades ago. Something about they made some deal when oil was real cheap to help out the oil companies but it never took into account that oil would eventually go up in the future. I don't know how likely any of that is and I don't really know any details. Just something I had heard.

I'm not sure when Wal-mart might pass them up again. As oil prices keep going up it's just going to be more profits for the oil companies. I admit I don't quite understand how the oil companies get to keep having record profits. I thought I had heard something about the government messed up with dealing with the oil companies decades ago. Something about they made some deal when oil was real cheap to help out the oil companies but it never took into account that oil would eventually go up in the future. I don't know how likely any of that is and I don't really know any details. Just something I had heard.

It doesn't matter... Wal-Mart is still #1 as far as I'm concerned because they do it without squeezing our pockets. People also have a choice to shop at Wal-Mart whereas noone has a choice to put gas in their car.

It doesn't matter... Wal-Mart is still #1 as far as I'm concerned because they do it without squeezing our pockets. People also have a choice to shop at Wal-Mart whereas noone has a choice to put gas in their car.

I'm hoping Arkansas starts looking more into ethanol production. I lot of the Midwestern states seem to use a lot more of it in their gas. Of course they have a lot of corn up there they need to do something with. I thought I had read something recently mentioning Arkansas trying to grow some other crops that could also be used in the same way.

Hahahahahaha.....

You're kidding right?

Besides the obvious mistruths about Wal-Mart not being a drain on society, or people having transpotation choices (yes, I regularly walk to work....evolution gave us appendages that have uses beyond pushing gas and brake pedals), let me just turn your sentence around.

Exxon is #1 as far as I'm concerned because......people have a choice to shop at Exxon or any other petroleum retailer, whereas no one has a choice to buy general mechandise.

Hahahahahaha.....

You're kidding right?

Besides the obvious mistruths about Wal-Mart not being a drain on society, or people having transpotation choices (yes, I regularly walk to work....evolution gave us appendages that have uses beyond pushing gas and brake pedals), let me just turn your sentence around.

Exxon is #1 as far as I'm concerned because......people have a choice to shop at Exxon or any other petroleum retailer, whereas no one has a choice to buy general mechandise.

Yeah and every time someone gets in the car to go to Wal-Mart Exxon profits. Are you blaming Wal-Mart for everyone having to buy general merchandise? Get real... Wal-Mart isn't the only one profitting from selling general merchandise. At least Wal-Mart keeps prices low. If Target and all those other brandname retailers had their choice they would squeeze everyone's wallets, but our friendly neighborhood Supercenter is there to save us from INFLATION!

Hahahahahaha.....

You're kidding right?

Let me share a little fact you obviously aren't aware of. Exxon mobil is an oil company. Their oil is sold to sevral other oil companies. It is not used exclusively at Exxon Gas Stations. So, no, we don't have a choice.

Walmart has been making profits the same way it has under every presidency (no, I'm not defending it). Gas companies, on the other hand, have started making record profits under this administration. On the micro scale, I remember when gas cost $0.99 per gallon under the Clinton administration (as low as $0.70 in some parts of the state), and now costs ridiculous amounts under the Bush administration. It makes me angry at all the PR they did after Katrina when they told the American people that oil prices would take a hit due to shortages. It's no coincidence that oil prices have risen; policy affects pricing.

Another thing to consider is that WalMart spends big bucks filling their semis full of diesel which is supplied by their friends at ExxonMobile. As WalMarts distribution network gets bigger, so does ExxonMobiles profits.

Let me share a little fact you obviously aren't aware of. Exxon mobil is an oil company. Their oil is sold to sevral other oil companies. It is not used exclusively at Exxon Gas Stations. So, no, we don't have a choice.

First, we do have a choice. We choose to power our cars with gasoline because it is by far the cheapest fuel right now. You can power your auto on sunlight, corn, or electricity. These are not generally available because they are more expensive than using the combustible engine.

Second, Exxon is not ripping anyone off and there is no secret conspiracy. They (Exxon) have the position they have because of planning and because of the panic people get into when talk of shortages arises. They saved reserves while taking a bite out of their own short term profits in the past years, they are reaping the rewards now. It's called having a strategy and being prepared.

Absolutely. It isn't just a coincidence. I understand the whole supply and demand concept.

However, no one can explain to me why the oil companies make such big profits, but other businesses

do not. I understand they have to make a profit. But, to make a profit like that while draining our pockets with their high prices the way they have is gut-wrenching. It looks like we are on our way to returning to post Katrina prices, for no apparrent reeason. The prices crept slowly up to around $2.25. Then all of a sudden the price jumped to $2.45 in one day. Then it went up to $2.49, down slightly to $2.43, then all of a sudden a .12 cent jump in one day to its current price of $2.55!

You state there is "no apparent reason" for the jump in gas prices, but indeed there is.

Rebels in Nigeria have been harassing oil facilities in that country, and it has intensified in recent weeks. Nigeria is one of the leading oil producers in the world. Beyond that, there have been various security concerns around the world regarding oil facilities. Combine that with other factors, and the increase in price is easily explained. Hundreds of studies have been done on the oil markets by the foremost experts and best minds in the field - and every time they have been unable to produce any evidence of price fixing.

I am no fan of Bush, at all, but it has nothing to do with him that oil prices are high.

That's silly. You have a choice not to stop at Exxon Mobil, they're far less a monopoly than Wal-Mart. Furthermore, you can choose to gas up AT Wal-Mart and help out two Arkansas Fortune 500 companies in the process.

Wallyworld and Exxon-Mobil have been flipping for a few years based on oil prices - oil goes up and so does Exxon-Mobil. Neither has been below #2 in a very long time, though.

You state there is "no apparent reason" for the jump in gas prices, but indeed there is.

Rebels in Nigeria have been harassing oil facilities in that country, and it has intensified in recent weeks. Nigeria is one of the leading oil producers in the world. Beyond that, there have been various security concerns around the world regarding oil facilities. Combine that with other factors, and the increase in price is easily explained. Hundreds of studies have been done on the oil markets by the foremost experts and best minds in the field - and every time they have been unable to produce any evidence of price fixing.

I am no fan of Bush, at all, but it has nothing to do with him that oil prices are high.

Oh that's what it is! Silly Nigeria!

Factoid: Nigeria is only ranked 12th in oil production, far behind the US or Russia or Mexico:

Country and 1999 rank/Estimated Reserves

(billion barrels, 2006)

Source Rank & Production

Early 2002 Rank & Production

1. Saudi Arabia 267 billion bbl 2. 7.7 mb/d 2. 8.8 mb/d

2. Former Soviet Union 60 1. 8.6 mb/d 1. 9.1 mb/d

3. USA 21 3. 5.7 mb/d 3. 5.4 mb/d

4. Iran 132 4. 3.7 mb/d 4. 3.9 mb/d

5. China 18 7. 3.3 mb/d 6. 3.3 mb/d

6. Norway 8 6. 3.4 mb/d 7. 2.9 mb/d

7. Mexico 13 5. 3.6 mb/d 5. 3.8 mb/d

8. Venezuela 79 8. 2.8 mb/d 8. 2.7 mb/d

9. United Kingdom 4 10. 2.6 mb/d 13. 1.8 mb/d

10. Iraq 115 11. 2.4 mb/d 18. 1.5 mb/d

11. United Arab Emirates 98 12. 2.2 mb/d 10. 2.2 mb/d

12. Nigeria 36 13. 2.1 mb/d 9. 2.5 mb/d

Isn't it odd that the Republican-controlled Senate did not want to swear in oil executives under oath when they were asked to explain why they are having record profits?

"The Republicans will swear in baseball players but not oil execs."

You can watch the video here: http://www.crooksandliars.com/2005/11/09.html#a5785

You would think that with our new oil reserves in a certain country, prices would be a little better. But that's a whole 'nother story altogether.

I really hope you are kidding or on some drugs: "it has nothing to do with him (Bush) that oil prices are high"- in fact it has almost everything to do with this terrible president and his backward admin. as to why oil prices are high, notice under other presidents you didn't see profits like this, and when other companies start making money and screwing the people the Gov. does something about it (ex. microsoft and AT&T), however, bush who by the way was donated millions of dollars by the oil companies during is campaign is nothing but watching his oil stocks rise...bush is too worried about his personal interest and not the national interest.

Another thing to consider is that WalMart spends big bucks filling their semis full of diesel which is supplied by their friends at ExxonMobile. As WalMarts distribution network gets bigger, so does ExxonMobiles profits.

Yes, and thank God Wal-Mart has the most efficient distribution system in the world, which in turn saves a lot of gas.

I, do, however, wonder how much of that gas was used on trips to and from Wal-Mart. :blush:

That's silly. You have a choice not to stop at Exxon Mobil, they're far less a monopoly than Wal-Mart. Furthermore, you can choose to gas up AT Wal-Mart and help out two Arkansas Fortune 500 companies in the process.

That brings up another wonderful attribute of Wal-Mart. You save 3 cents to the gallon if you purchase a gift card and use it to fill up your tank at Wal-Mart or Murphy's gas stations. How many other retailers save you money on your gas? God Bless Wal-Mart!

Yes, and thank God Wal-Mart has the most efficient distribution system in the world, which in turn saves a lot of gas.

I will say one thing about Wal-Mart and that is: They have logistics down to a science. I think it says a lot about Wal-Mart when FEMA sends people to Bentonville, to try to learn the logistics that the company has so that in the future they will have a better response time to big disasters.

I will say one thing about Wal-Mart and that is: They have logistics down to a science. I think it says a lot about Wal-Mart when FEMA sends people to Bentonville, to try to learn the logistics that the company has so that in the future they will have a better response time to big disasters.

Very true.

That brings up another wonderful attribute of Wal-Mart. You save 3 cents to the gallon if you purchase a gift card and use it to fill up your tank at Wal-Mart or Murphy's gas stations. How many other retailers save you money on your gas? God Bless Wal-Mart!

I think a lot of grocery stores are doing the same thing. Of course we don't have much selection of grocery stores in this area. But Harp's does it as well and I noticed grocery stores out in Albuquerque were doing it also.

I think a lot of grocery stores are doing the same thing. Of course we don't have much selection of grocery stores in this area. But Harp's does it as well and I noticed grocery stores out in Albuquerque were doing it also.

I wasn't aware of any grocery stores that own gas stations or even any that have on-site gas stations like Wal-Mart has with Murphy's. I guess I find it kind of ridiculous for a grocery store to have gift cards... who ever heard of using a gift card to just buy groceries? You may be thinking of a similar gas program with grocery stores but it's not quite the same as Wal-Marts gift card program.

Archived