Parking and Development

mgreven

Why? You don't think it's legitimate Andy? :dontknow:

No, no, I do. My hatred of parking ramps gets the best of me sometimes. :blush: Isn't that ramp GRCC like 2 blocks from there?

If I had to choose, I would probably rather see one behind Monroe Center and a residential building go up at Division/Library.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a great residential opportunity there already, it's called the Keeler Building.

I would love a loft (a real loft) in that space. Giant windows, concrete floors, industrial elevators. So best.

And the Fitzgerald will be just east of the lot on Division and Library. Although, there hasn't been much talk about the progress of that project.

There's a great residential opportunity there already, it's called the Keeler Building.

I would love a loft (a real loft) in that space. Giant windows, concrete floors, industrial elevators. So best.

I hadn't thought of Keeler as residential before. I'll bet the view from a rooftop garden/patio on top of Keeler would be pretty killer too. :shades:

The last I heard from acarlton, demolition in the Fitzgerald is supposed to start this Spring.

I was just digging around for information about the Keeler building and found a GRPress article in a skyscrapterpage.com forum. Azzar owns the building and wanted to convert it into a hotel at one time.

April 14, 2005

Division, Fulton details emerge

Chris Knape

The Grand Rapids Press

"East Grand Rapids businessman James Azzar is proposing a 250- to 300-space parking ramp for the site (Division/Fulton), which would support two vacant buildings he owns nearby, one of which is the Keeler building on Division Avenue, which he plans to turn into a hotel."

Here's a link to the Keeler Bldg. thread. Let's restart some conversation about this site.

When are downtown employers going to get on the ball and offer their transit-taking and car-pooling workers some rewards? It annoys me no end that it is STILL seen as the "norm" for one worker to drive a four-passenger vehicle to work. Where are the other three passengers? Why aren't those seats filled, thus saving parking spaces? And WHY aren't the stick-in-the-mud, recalcitrant bosses asking these questions?

When are downtown employers going to get on the ball and offer their transit-taking and car-pooling workers some rewards? It annoys me no end that it is STILL seen as the "norm" for one worker to drive a four-passenger vehicle to work. Where are the other three passengers? Why aren't those seats filled, thus saving parking spaces? And WHY aren't the stick-in-the-mud, recalcitrant bosses asking these questions?

I think a lot of the bosses think that splitting the parking bill four ways is enough of an incentive? Chalk it up to good ole stinginess I suppose.

QUOTE(zenstyle @ Apr 7 2006, 06:07 PM) *

Lady, I should get around to building that suitcase car. :)

Amen, Zenstyle. The parking ramps should offer lower rates to cars with multiple people as opposed to a single driver too. Until we get a mass transit system or suitcase cars, we should be trying to carpool and save parking spaces. :)

• 3 weeks later...

DT Ann Arbor offers a free bus pass to office workers.

I saw a lot of vertical ramps (is that what they call them) in Tokyo. They were very cool and could squeeze a ton of cars into a small space. I don't know if people in GR would let their SUVs be hoisted on a lift out of sight but it would be great to see that instead of another monster garage!

Joe

Archived