Will downtown Greensboro's vibrant nightlife go beyond Elm Street.

cityboi

If you havent driven on Elm Street at night, particularly Friday and Saturday, you need to head down there. There are people everywhere, bumper to bumper traffic, limos and expensive cars everywhere. Its like a mini Atlanta. I drove through there Saturday night and there was so much going on at the same time. Resaurants and nightclubs were pack. Triad Stage was packed with people. People were walkimg around shopping and eating at outdoor sidewalk cafes. It is definatly a surprising sight for those of you that have never gone there at night. But will this same vibrancy spread all over downtown? and How should the city go about accomplishing this?

We are beginning to see this happen in pockets of downtown. There area around the ballpark will no doubt see more pedestrian street traffic.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to say because most of downtown isn't as built or preserved as Elm. That is, Elm is ideal for that kind of nightlife because it's all pedestrian-oriented and attractive businesses in street-fronting structures. I hate to say it but large swarths of DT are either just parking lots or pedestrian-deterring structures such as massive government complexes or crappy little 1 story office buildings surrounded by parking lots. If DT can get some good- and I mean really good- development that will blend in well with the existing Elm street, then yes I would say it could easily spread all over the place. Right now though it seems like kind of a longshot. I'm glad to see that it is doing well however, and remain hopeful about what's to come.

The downtown condo projects (ArborHouse, Bellemeade Village, etc) will likely bring people and possibly more nightlife and retail as well? Seems like the trend may be for a westward growth of downtown with those projects and the proposed federal courthouse and other buildings planned west of Elm St. I'm anxious to see downtown in even as little as 10 years!

The downtown condo projects (ArborHouse, Bellemeade Village, etc) will likely bring people and possibly more nightlife and retail as well? Seems like the trend may be for a westward growth of downtown with those projects and the proposed federal courthouse and other buildings planned west of Elm St. I'm anxious to see downtown in even as little as 10 years!

I think the best way to encourage that same vibrancy throughout downtown is to develop the Market Street/Friendly Avenue corridor which is the main x axis, east/west coridor.

I drove there Saturday Night as well and wow it was just awesome to see all the nightlife. It was cool seeing how bright Elm Street was. I think in time this vibrancy will be spread around downtown.
I love Elm street,i also love the racial diversity of the street scenes and clubs i feel alot of love when am partying in the BORO!!! :D

Does anyone know where the Flying Anvil will be located? The live music venue could seriously help out if its near Elm. I agree that the new residential will sort of force them to make safe, well lit walkways...I just hope they fill in more.

The Flying Anvil will be located just off Lewis Street on South Elm kind of behind The Undercurrent between S Elm and Eugene Street.

Archived