Monroe Road improvements & Developments?

Ryepow

With all the construction planned or started on both Midtown Square and Central/Plaza Midwood, not to mention all the condos already announced closer to Uptown on 7th, I have to wonder what is in store for Monroe road since it sits pretty much right between both developments and is an alternative to Independence Blvd from Matthews to Uptown.

First of all the section still considered 7th street from Independence Blvd up to Firefighter Ave in Chantilly is dangerous with those arrows that change the direction for the middle lane depending on the time of day. I have seen people play chicken on more then one occasion. Also this stretch is pothole central. I hope the city improves on this stretch soon. There are some great bars and restaurants popping up on this stretch also which is all the more reasons this should be improved upon.

Secondly, there is a row of about 15 or 20 run down brick homes in this same section of 7th between Ranier Ave. and Firefighter Ave. I was driving on Firefighter the other day to get to someone's house and noticed a new large wooden sign. I didn't get a good look at it, but it had the Wachovia logo at the top and said something to the effect of financed by Wachovia. Does anyone know anything about this? Is Wachovia renovating these homes or something? They don't look like they are worth saving in my opinion. I am hoping they tear them all down and build some nice condos. It's a good location to do so.

Now further up Monroe is a mix of all sorts of buildings I have never slowed down below 35mph for. Right around the intersection of Wendover. I believe this area is ripe for a major overhaul. A little futher up between Wendover and Sharon Amity there is supposed to be a large mixed development where a mill was recently torn down. Does anyone have more info on this project?

Any information or developments about 7th/ Monroe Rd from the intersection of Independence. Blvd. South to Matthews would be much appreciated.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might count somewhat count as part of the Monroe Road corridor, as it is just over the tracks, and it is likely that most residents of this area will use Monroe as a thoroughfare.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/14254875.htm

It would have been great if CATS could have chosen the CSX tracks for the SouthEast corridor. It would have meant a much more solid resurgence of the neighborhoods along Monroe Road.

Well, there was a whole study done, and the selection was Independence. It was a combination of the following:

- Eastside obsession with Independence Boulevard, both as a focal point for the area in general, and also as everyone worries about its demise.

- Road politics, where people and politicians believe by putting the LRT or BRT in the median will speed up the upgrade of Independence to an expressway/freeway, current pushed back very far in the distance.

- There are many rules and engineering/right of way requirements for sharing a freight corridor. Those rules get very expensive, as you can see in Raleigh. There are requirements that the tracks be separated by 40', which causes the need to purchase significant amount of right of way.

- A little bit of concern by the SFH neighborhoods near the rails

- CATS's realism that BRT will likely be the choice due to funding constraints

Further out, past Wendover and before Sharon Amity, a developer tore down an old textile factory and is supposed to create a mixed use development on the site. It's at the entrance to Oakhurst, which is a resurging yet small older n'hood there. i think Monroe from Sharon Amity inward will see a lot of redevelopment.

I also think there are plans to improve the reversable lane section of seventh. most likely they'll four lane it and replant new trees. That section probably avoided widening to save the old street trees, but Duke has hacked them to pieces so they look like they doing limbo under the wires. It'll help improve the safety and aesthetics of the area. I believe the city will add traffic calming though.

Archived