Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

krazeeboi

More international investment headed to Columbia

7 posts in this topic

According to The State, consuls general from both the United Kingdom and Luxembourg have made visits to Columbia in recent weeks. Martin Rickerd, the new British consul general to the southeastern United States, was making his first trip to South Carolina visiting political and business leaders. George Faber, consul general of Luxembourg, also came to Columbia to look for closer ties between his small nation and the region. Faber is stationed in New York.

Also, five diverse German companies will be represented in South Carolina when the Saxony International Business Pool opens in Columbia this summer. Two of the companies make traditional German handcrafted wooden items and ornaments. Two others are connected to the German automotive industry. The fifth is involved in materials research.

Man more and more good news flowing especially from the international angle.

that's good news for the midlands.We're are always more than happy to have more international buisnesses and investments eyeing Columbia. Wait until the international buisness program USC has really start doing their thing.Innovista, one of the best international buisness programs, the new Health research program. Columbia is destined for something great. And the charlotte posters didn't understand why columbia ranked 50 and they ranked 98 in most liveable places. :yahoo:

Yeah that's the whole were from CLT were supposed to be bigger and better than anyone else in the Carolinas thing, but like I said I went to California and recieved more welcomes and lets hang out than I have from our northern neighbors and NCarolinians always want to hang there hat to the "progressive" hook but that's a different story. Anyway always glad to see Columbia shinning!

I don't know if it's already established yet, but I know there is (or plans to be) a major financial reward on a sliding scale according to econimic impact for anyone who brings a company to Columbia! What better incentive can you ask for. I'm not quite sure which coffers the money is supposed to come from, but it does make sense, as the economic impact would be so much more.

The director of the Nanocenter is originally German (although not many people know this) and his ties to German nanotech companies can't be neglected, I'm sure. I know there is at least one German nanotech company coming soon for sure.

For those of you who have read Richard Florida's 'Rise of the Creative Class', the 3 'T's: Technology, Talent and Tolerance (thanks for the recommendation on this site, btw) needs to add an additional T : Tax incentives. Many European countries have the first 3 T's down, but the red tape to start companies in most European countries is substantial. Hiring emloyees for example is a much heavier dance than here.

My father in-law who is a retired high level business consultant (in Europe) and who just visited us for the first time suggested SC should tap into the retiree market of foreigners. People who are still energetic enough to start up something new, but who have the financial stability of their retirement... people who want a warm climate so they don't have to shovel snow for 2 hours every second day but who don't want to go to hurricane prone places... and there's cheap real estate, cheap golf, and their retirement money can reach further here than many other places. And if on top the cultural scene had a bit more to offer... It's not too bad, but nowhere remotely equivalent to ANY European city of a similar size. Anyhow, he might have a point. A couple of the biggest movers and shakers in existing high tech endeavors here in Cola ARE retirees from successful other (fortune 500+) businesses. They bring with them connections to big venture capital and a lot of expertise. You've probably hear about Ometric - the high tech company that's always used in the press as a good example. That one started out of one of the Nanocenter's citizen schools which are open to the public. A research professor with a good idea and a retired businessman met at one of those seminars and decided to join forces.

BTW, the Moore business school is considered THE best in the country - surpasses all the ivy league equivalents. I fly back and forth from Columbia to NY a couple of times every month, and I've met quite a few high powered wall-streeters and similar execs who regularly fly in for a gamecocks game and show their allegiance to their alma mater (and to go to their favorite golf course on Lake Murray). People who say they'd love to move back if there were decent job opportunities at their level.

It has somewhat intrigued me that USC's widely-acclaimed international business program didn't attract substantially more international investment to Columbia.

It has somewhat intrigued me that USC's widely-acclaimed international business program didn't attract substantially more international investment to Columbia.

I've wondered the same thing; hopefully it will begin to pay dividends.