"Takings bill" passes house

lsgchas

What happens when there is not enough funding to improve the infrastructure? Who pays the bill?

If there isn't enough funding it won't get built. Usually they come up with ways to finance it though. It also depends on what type of infrastucture you mean.

Lets not go all out on blaming developers. They are only building what people want.... because if people didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, at that point you should demand accountability from yuor elected officials. Why isn't there a plan for this growth?... our elected officials still act shocked when growth hits them. But lets not hold them accountable.

You're playing two sides of the coin here. If you want officials to be accountable for planning future growth, they should at least have the tools of planning and zoning available in order to plan that growth. This proposal will take these tools away. What other device for land planning should be used in lieu of plans, zoning, or any other regulation that effects land?

Lets not go all out on blaming developers. They are only building what people want.... because if people didn't want it, they wouldn't buy it.

I am not casting any blame on developers. Blame falls squarely on elected officials, provided they are allowed to use tools such as planning and zoning to help prepare for future growth. This proposed law takes away the primary means for which growth can be adequately prepared for.

edit: clarity

I am not casting any blame on developers. Blame falls squarely on elected officials, provided they are allowed to use tools such as planning and zoning to help prepare for future growth. This proposed law takes away the primary means for which growth can be adequately prepared for.

I completely agree.

You're playing two sides of the coin here. If you want officials to be accountable for planning future growth, they should at least have the tools of planning and zoning available in order to plan that growth. This proposal will take these tools away. What other device for land planning should be used in lieu of plans, zoning, or any other regulation that effects land?

On the contrary. I believe in good planning. Had this measure been passed, I beleive it would have led to more thoughful and better planning. The fact that their actions have associated consequences will force communities to be more deliberate in their planning. You seem to think, that communities will wither under the pressure of potential compensation and simply do nothing. I believe on the contrary, that they will take a serious look at how and where they want to grow, and draft their plans accordingly.

New law would end zoning as we currently know it

This guy is often a little too leftist for my middle of the road taste, but until reading this, I did not know that Rep. Tracy Edge (the sponsor of the takings bill) works for Burroughs & Chapin. I guess it figures though. After running roughshod over Horry County, B&C obviously wants to do the same to the rest of the state.

Knowing that B&C is behind this bill, is more than enough to let me know it is deterimental. Is this bill still dead ?

BTW, Edge is also the sponsor of the bill to make the Billboard Capital of the US (SC), an even bigger depository of billboards. Hopefully, the voters will see fit to retire Mr. Edge in this year's election.

New law would end zoning as we currently know it

This guy is often a little too leftist for my middle of the road taste, but until reading this, I did not know that Rep. Tracy Edge (the sponsor of the takings bill) works for Burroughs & Chapin. I guess it figures though. After running roughshod over Horry County, B&C obviously wants to do the same to the rest of the state.

Knowing that B&C is behind this bill, is more than enough to let me know it is deterimental. Is this bill still dead ?

BTW, Edge is also the sponsor of the bill to make the Billboard Capital of the US (SC), an even bigger depository of billboards. Hopefully, the voters will see fit to retire Mr. Edge in this year's election.

Well we know who holds the strings to the Tracy Edge marionette, now, don't we? Pathetic. Until we have more elected officials with the integrity to do what is right for the state and not for their own wallets, South Carolina will never reach its potential.

Archived