Detroit Clears way for Redevelopment of Book-Cadillac & Fort-Shelby Hotels

Allan

So 5 hours came and went....

I got distracted. Drove by on my way to Southfield...no time to stop. There really isn't much to see. There are two swing stages set up on the front of the building. There were a couple trucks parked out front, and a group of workmen congregating in front of the First Street entrance.

In other news, a new for sale sign has popped up on the Wurlitzer Building...I wonder how much they want for it now? $5 Million?! :rolleyes:

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Detroit News finally caught on....

It took them long enough to notice the swing stages and people going in and out of the building, as well as the musty abandoned building smell that now fills the street, especially considering that the building is right next to the Detroit News Building.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A...9/BIZ/606090385

The Fort Shelby has some of the best views of downtown, due to its distance from the rest of downtown.

152939707_c5cf4f14cd.jpg

152939708_821fbbdf8c.jpg

Allan, Is it erie to go into these empty monoliths. I would love to do it. I'd love to see whats inside of them, I've never had the jeuvos to go in them. But i'm looking you up next time im in Detroit!

possibly...but Im very confident it will only be a delay at best, not a deal killer...lol, if they pass legislation guarenteeing the BC development (as granholm and some Congress R's support) we know it will happen hah

anyone who thought there would be 0 delays in a project of this magnitude with the state of regional politics was sorely mistaken...there will probably be more delays, but it will get done

Detroit is nowhere near the only cities that experiences delays on such complicated and expansive redevelopment projects such as the B-C and Pick-Fort Shelby. The difference is that there may very well be more delays than the average redevelopment project because of how fragile the city and state are, at the moment. Plus, this is a project that is requiring both private and public funding, and public funding is the worst as it has to go through the bloated bureaucracy, and there are always strings attatched. It's my understanding that the private half of this project is already set to go, and it's state government that's been holding these up.

Agreed. The architecture firm I'm working for is doing a renovation on a major building in Detroit that I'm hoping you'll all hear about sooner or later. It seems like when one problem is reolved, be it financing, building conditions, etc...another problem arrises.

Agreed. The architecture firm I'm working for is doing a renovation on a major building in Detroit that I'm hoping you'll all hear about sooner or later. It seems like when one problem is reolved, be it financing, building conditions, etc...another problem arrises.

C'mon Wolverine don't tease us like that ... which building is it that you're talking about? Can we have a hint at least?

Boy, the ups and downs of big city livin'! I can't wait for the day when private people can pool together some resources to fix some of these buildings up without the need for government designations and breaks. Now that would be a good sign Detroit has truely started to rise from the ashes in my humble opinion. Floundering around for year after year does nothing to help matters. It's time some groups in this city band together and put some money up or pressure those that have it if they really feel this is doable. I hope all of these buildings mentioned get renovated but it's a sad scene when red tape and tax dollars have to be the saviors. Detroit must lower taxes. I went out house hunting and felt like why should I be in an empowerment zone or get some sort of "credit" when there are hundreds of thousands of folks suffering without them because they aren't in strategic locations or have historical designation. The vast amounts of waste this city is notorious for could compensate for any reasonable tax decrease that would serve all residents and businesses not just those who have been chosen. My house search was a mess especially when I realized I could buy a larger house in the Pointes or West Bloomfield for what I'd end up paying in property and other taxes. I love this city. I was born in this city. My group spends countless hours in it cleaning up, promoting it, and developing plans that become real. That said, I feel really bad for the thousands of people who live in outright misery day in and day out and have no options. Book Caddy, hope it gets a rehab, but let's not forget about some real urban problems that will only serve to continue a vicious cycle started decades ago.

At the same time, I like how the Free Press has finally realized not to be so naive about projects like these with quotes like this:

"Barring further problems -- and problems are always possible in major projects like this -- the hotel should reopen as the Westin Book-Cadillac in about two or three years."

At the same time, I like how the Free Press has finally realized not to be so naive about projects like these with quotes like this:

"Barring further problems -- and problems are always possible in major projects like this -- the hotel should reopen as the Westin Book-Cadillac in about two or three years."

I agree with you Lmichigan. Usually they only show the hype, but this time they left some "margin for error."

Archived