Detroit Clears way for Redevelopment of Book-Cadillac & Fort-Shelby Hotels

Allan

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The public rooms of the Book-Cadillac were totally chopped up and remodeled through the various renovations that took place over the years. After the hotel closed, what did still exist deteriorated considerably, to the point that very little of it could be saved. The public rooms have been scraped down to bare concrete and steel. The cost to replicate the plasterwork is too great. Look for a modern interior with historic accents here and there. It will be nice, but it won't be like it was in 1924.

Big News Day for the Book-Cadillac:

Financing Secured for Detroit Hotel Renovation

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...PDATE/606270427

Book-Cadillac will Reborn in Spledor

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...NEWS11/60627010

It looks like John Gallagher rushed on his article. He didn't title his name at the top of the article. And by Spledor, doesn't he mean splendor?

Right. Most of the damage that has occured has been from neglect. It is not often penetrated by explorers or vandals...probably because there isn't really anything of interest left other than the roof. It was last used in the mid to late 90s, so it hasn't been vacant nearly as long as some of the others.

It's the most heartbreaking thing about the BC project. A 5-steps forward project only turns out to be 2, as 3 are taken back by the destruction of this building.

Sorry, more than just a building. It's an irreplacable historic piece of our heritage, IMO.

It's the most heartbreaking thing about the BC project. A 5-steps forward project only turns out to be 2, as 3 are taken back by the destruction of this building.

Sorry, more than just a building. It's an irreplacable historic piece of our heritage, IMO.

But we can look at it as 2 or 3 steps forward as being much better than the building being torn down for a surface lot--equalling 5 steps back. Just my $.02

But we can look at it as 2 or 3 steps forward as being much better than the building being torn down for a surface lot--equalling 5 steps back. Just my $.02

I agree. But, I still think that there is no need to demolish the building with all of the surface parking around there already. With Lafayette and the Book being renovated, eventually a use will come for the Detroit Commerce Building. I have always invisioned that building as being a mixed use with retail on the first floor, offices on the next 5 floors, and residential on the top 6.

I just can't come to accept the demolition of it. I know comparing Detroit to cities like NY, Chicago, and even Seattle or Houston, but I think it's time we up our standards in knowing that these things ARE possible. Keeping this biulding would do so much to add to the overall integrity of the neighborhood blocks that another giant parking structure just can't do.

I'm still stuck on building the garage elsewhere or buiding a more verticle one on the smaller lot next to the DCB. Guests to the hotel are going to use valet parking anyway and tenants can just walk through a system connecting to the building.

I agree with you, Michi.

I don't think he's saying that the renovation of the B-C is a bad thing, just that the demolition of the Commerce Building is unforgivable, especially considering that there is a surface lot directly across the street from the Commerce that the parking garage for both the B-C and Lafayette Building could go on. It would require a little convincing of the courthouse to get them to sell the plot, or whoever owns it, but I'd much rather them take more time and save both then to rush into an unneeded demolition. For me, it has nothing to do with the history of the building, rather the lack of common sense by the developers.

I don't think that lot is owned by the courthouse. I think it is owned by the Miller Parking Co. Hopefully the city and developers can persuade the company to sell the land to the developers. Hell, it would be even better if the city passed an exorbant tax on parking lots to make them less economical.

It's not like demoltion is the cheapest option if the lots are available and could be bought for a reasonbale price I'm sure that's where the garage would've been built. Developers aren't in the habit of spending more than they have to, some here seem forget that is a business first and foremost. This is probably cheaper than over paying for the lots or building a taller automated garage

Did anybody else notice a new billboard painting on the Commerce Building? Why would anyone encourage new advertising on a building that is going to be demolished? Remember, the garage is suppose to be completed before the renovation of the BC structure, I believe.

Archived