Interview with Dan Kildee

VeeFan

I don't know if anyone else has seen this month's issue of the Uncommon Sense, but there was a really good interview with Dan Kildee in it about the Land Bank's role in a lot of downtown's projects. If it's allowed by board rules, I'll try to scan the article in, but here's the main points.

Berridge Hotel - one of the goals of the Berridge Hotel is to mix affordable housing with regular housing, to bridge a segregation gap that is part of Flint's problem; and work on the Berridge could begin within the next few months.

Durant Hotel - Definite decision on its fate will be made within the next 12-18 months, but Kildee believes that it can be saved; the Durant itself is helping in its own demo, because even if the ceilings were damaged in the last bit, the entire thing would have to be ripped out...and with most of the ceilings gone, that work is already done! lol Kildee hopes most of the work can be done with federal tax credits/new market tax credits. Kildee also hopes that the redevelopment of the Durant can help in tying downtown in with the Third Avenue/River District. Projects specifics: student housing for upperclassmen, older students, or grad students, with office and commercial space leased out on the lower floors. Hopes to begin on interior demolition this summer.

Stone Street redevelopment - area south of Third Avenue, down to the river, and in back of Atwood Stadium. There's currently nothing there, but developing the area is key to the future of the city. Planning is more for the long-term as opposed to short-term.

Heartland Manor - the Land Bank is interested in purchasing the property from Hurley and the City; again an emphasis in developing areas that would tie the outlying regions of the city back in with downtown.

I'm hoping that's true about the Durant, demo this summer... :o

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to read it again. I didn't realize he said they want to start working on the Durant this summer. The interior demolition has to be done whether it gets refurbished or completely demolished so I guess it's possible that work could start in a few months. He said it'll be 12 to 18 months before they decide what to do with the building, though. It's a $20 million project so I guess we'll have to keep our fingers crossed.

I really hope something happens with the Berridge and Manhattan Lofts soon. There finally seems to be a lot of focus on revitalizing the neighborhood and these could give the efforts a big boost.

• 1 year later...

New life comes to Flint's oldest neighborhoodNew homes expected to breathe new life into historic neighborhood

Joel Feick

FLINT (WJRT) - (09/09/07)--New life is coming to Flint's oldest neighborhood. Ground will be "re-broken" tomorrow in Carriage Town on more than a dozen new or existing homes.

In the early 1900's in Flint, Stone Street was an exciting place to live. But time and neglect changed the neighborhood.

That will change on Monday, when ambitious plans are unveiled. "We're breaking ground on eight new homes to historic standards and five full rehabilitation of existing housing," said Dan Kildee of the Genesee County Land Bank.

Genesee County Land Bank and Flint NIPP are leading the development that goes right through the heart of Flint. "This is really intended to be a part of the 3rd Ave. Corridor," Kildee said. "We're trying to develop from the U of M Flint to Kettering and Mott Park."

Kildee says the houses will be affordable. Earlier we reported they'd be in the $140,000 range. There will be sidewalks and historic lighting to make Carriage Town look like it used to look years ago.

"The vision is that we create a walk-able interesting neighborhood that connects the neighborhoods on the west side of the city with all the work that we're doing in downtown," said Kildee.

Among the partners on the project: The Mott Foundation, the city, county and federal government. Kildee is hopeful the 13 Stone Street houses will be for sale by the spring.

Archived