Welcome!

NCB

Thanks for all yalls hard work ! Looking forward to seeing all the latest updates and developments from every corner of our State.

It's an excting time to be alive in the Capital City ! So much going on here , I don't know where to begin ? Baton Rouge is going thru some serious growing pains, from an over-grown country town to a legit mid-size city. From record # of road widenings and improvements , to smarter growth filling in open spaces in the urban-core (sprawl is still going on). To a real Skyline Downtown, I CAN'T WAIT ! Let the projects begin ! It's about time .

Thanks for all yalls hard work ! Looking forward to seeing all the latest updates and developments from every corner of our State.

It's an excting time to be alive in the Capital City ! So much going on here , I don't know where to begin ? Baton Rouge is going thru some serious growing pains, from an over-grown country town to a legit mid-size city. From record # of road widenings and improvements , to smarter growth filling in open spaces in the urban-core (sprawl is still going on). To a real Skyline Downtown, I CAN'T WAIT ! Let the projects begin ! It's about time .

Maybe these downtown high-rise projects will help curb a little bit of that sprawl. You definitely don't want Baton Rouge to be like Oklahoma City as far as the sprawl goes. I'm looking forward to seeing Baton Rouge's new skyline in the coming years. I am planning on taking many more trips to New Orleans, so I'll definitely be going through Baton Rouge.

• 3 months later...

Hello! I'm new to this forum. Just found it yesterday and signed up today. I'm from Baton Rouge. I was born in the good ole' Baton Rouge General nearly 40 years ago. I moved away after getting a degree in Landscape Architecture from LSU in '89. I've been in Orlando ever since. While I really like Orlando and I've finally reconciled myself to calling it home, I still very much love BR and would love to see her do well. I'm particularly interested in the growing skyline. Over the years I've hated seeing all the spawl that has drained the city core. My family is from the northern side of town where blight has been creeping in and businesses have been moving out. Its frustrating to see all the nice businesses go further and further to the southeast. My dad still lives there and when I visit and we want to go to see a movie we have to drive over 20 miles down there.

Anyway, I've seen the renderings for the River Front condo project and Laurel Tower. You mention the "big 4". What are the other 2 and how tall will they be?

Hey otowntiger. Welcome to this forum and UP. Glad to have you here. :thumbsup:

When is the last time you were able to visit BR ? I totally understand what you mean about the decline of north BR. My parents were raised there too. While southeast BR continues to grow like crazy; Downtown has seen a re-birth and becoming more and more vibrant. Plan BR started taking shape in 99' and the momentum continues forward, it's been fun watching the pieces of the puzzle come together. It has really come along way, but still has a ways to go. 2006-07' are what they call "watershed/break-thru" years. The Riverfront Masterplan is a huge step in taking BR to the next level.

The Northgates of LSU is currently undergoing a major transformation as well. Southgate Towers is still growing with plans for an 18- story condo. The Crescent at University Lake is is under-going construction.

Mid-City is coming back strong too ! BRCC (fastest growing Jr.College in U.S.); Old Bon Marche Mall is now the Bonne Carre Business Center/La.Tech.Park. Largest between Atlanta and Houston. A new BREC HQ's in old Sears Bldg. Government Street redevelopment properties. North Blvd.R.R. overpass,"New Gateway to Downtown",etc.

Remember all the vacant land on Corporate Blvd. and Jefferson Hwy. It is being filled-up with a brand new "upscale" Towne Center at Corporate Blvd.@Jefferson. BR's version of Beverly Hills/Diamond District between Bocage and Old Goodwood.

Oh yeah...to answer your question about the "Big 4", the other two will be City Plaza Two at approx. 20-stories and a New Courthouse at 9 or probably 10-stories. Over 300,000sq.ft of space. About the same height as Governmental Bldg. Civic buildings are generally taller. We posted a before and after on La.Photo of the Day a couple weeks ago. The Skyline will be changing dramatically. It's about time!!!

Feel free to ask questions anytime. I'll do my best to answer them.

I have a good friend that(moved) lives in Winter Park taking care of his family.

Hey otowntiger. Welcome to this forum and UP. Glad to have you here. :thumbsup:

When is the last time you were able to visit BR ? I totally understand what you mean about the decline of north BR. My parents were raised there too. While southeast BR continues to grow like crazy; Downtown has seen a re-birth and becoming more and more vibrant. Plan BR started taking shape in 99' and the momentum continues forward, it's been fun watching the pieces of the puzzle come together. It has really come along way, but still has a ways to go. 2006-07' are what they call "watershed/break-thru" years. The Riverfront Masterplan is a huge step in taking BR to the next level.

The Northgates of LSU is currently undergoing a major transformation as well. Southgate Towers is still growing with plans for an 18- story condo. The Crescent at University Lake is is under-going construction.

Mid-City is coming back strong too ! BRCC (fastest growing Jr.College in U.S.); Old Bon Marche Mall is now the Bonne Carre Business Center/La.Tech.Park. Largest between Atlanta and Houston. A new BREC HQ's in old Sears Bldg. Government Street redevelopment properties. North Blvd.R.R. overpass,"New Gateway to Downtown",etc.

Remember all the vacant land on Corporate Blvd. and Jefferson Hwy. It is being filled-up with a brand new "upscale" Towne Center at Corporate Blvd.@Jefferson. BR's version of Beverly Hills/Diamond District between Bocage and Old Goodwood.

Oh yeah...to answer your question about the "Big 4", the other two will be City Plaza Two at approx. 20-stories and a New Courthouse at 9 or probably 10-stories. Over 300,000sq.ft of space. About the same height as Governmental Bldg. Civic buildings are generally taller. We posted a before and after on La.Photo of the Day a couple weeks ago. The Skyline will be changing dramatically. It's about time!!!

Feel free to ask questions anytime. I'll do my best to answer them.

I have a good friend that(moved) lives in Winter Park taking care of his family.

Thanks for the reply. This is a great forum. If only it could garner as much interest as the Shreveport/Bossier Thread? :rolleyes: I am excited to see some changes to the skyline. Its been basically stagnent for 30 years except for that one 20 story +- twin tower that was added back in '89 (don't remember what it's called now, but when I was there it was part of LNB.) I know this is a difficult question, but what are the approximate timelines for the construction of the "big 4" as I know none of them are apprently under construction now?

I was in BR just this last Christmas. Not sure when I'll be getting back because I'll be seeing Dad at a brother's house up north and my wife is due in January, so traveling will be limited.

The Orlando area is really booming too, but for a metro population of close to 2 million she has an embarrasingly small skyline. A lot of that is due to a very spread out suburban population and a number of large employment centers out from the city center. The pop. w/in the city limits is actually smaller than that of BR. Of course we have an embarassment of riches so to speak of large and tall developments out in what we unaffectionately call the attractions areas. The weak skyline is finally starting to catch up with the rest of the growth. There are about 3 big projects under construction now and dozens proposed (20+ stories). It's surpising that none of the current or proposed buildings will exceed the height of the state capital there in BR. Something to be proud of.

Again, thanks for the info and kind welcome!

^ No problem otowntiger, anytime. :thumbsup:

That's been the $million dollar question? around here. RiverPlace would have started last year, but the hurricanes have caused numerous delays and jacked-up construction $cost big-time. Here are my best guesses.... *RiverPlace- as soon as Summer's end, definitly before the end of 06'; barring another hurricane God forbid. *Two City Plaza- the last quarter of 06' (October ??) * Laurel Tower- wanted to start by the end of Summer, but they have hit a financial $snag with some federal funds. * The New Courthouse sometime in early 07'.

You are right, it's been since 89 since a 20-story high-rise has been built downtown. It's now called the Riverside North Tower; next to the Chase Bank Tower (old LNB). Usually people just say Chase Bank Towers. I noticed very many cities stopped building towers after the 80's boom. Birmingham, Dallas, Memphis, Houston, etc.

Have you noticed the "Capitol Complex" thread for BR ? Check-it out. While Downtown BR has not had a 20+ since 89; they have added many large state buildings starting back in 2002 including: Galvez Bldg. 13-stories; LaSalle 12; Iberville-9; Beinville-9 and the Claiborne-8 stories. This has really added density to the northern end of the CBD. The last two buildings Iberville and Beinville will be moved into this Summer; An additional 2,000 workers downtown. The 293-room renovated Capitol House(Hilton Capitol Center) will re-open Aug. 31st!

Baton Rouge's downtown Skyline has also lacked for a few reasons. Close proximity to New Orleans and the sprawl you mentioned. The 22-story Marriott was built near the I-10/12 split would look great on the riverfront; Essen has the new 12-story Shaw HQ's built in 2002; Jacobs-13 stories built in late 80's and United Plaza; OLOL Medical Tower. In the 70's the 14-story Republic Tower and 12-story Woodale bldg. were built in mid-city. And the two 12-story Bluebonnet Towers.

These buildings would have helped the downtown core.

I noticed Orlando has a building-boom going on downtown. They have an impressive 2nd skyline along I-4 near Universal Studio's and Disney.

Edited by richyb83

^ No problem otowntiger, anytime. :thumbsup:

That's been the $million dollar question? around here. RiverPlace would have started last year, but the hurricanes have caused numerous delays and jacked-up construction $cost big-time. Here are my best guesses.... *RiverPlace- as soon as Summer's end, definitly before the end of 06'; barring another hurricane God forbid. *Two City Plaza- the last quarter of 06' (October ??) * Laurel Tower- wanted to start by the end of Summer, but they have hit a financial $snag with some federal funds. * The New Courthouse sometime in early 07'.

You are right, it's been since 89 since a 20-story high-rise has been built downtown. It's now called the Riverside North Tower; next to the Chase Bank Tower (old LNB). Usually people just say Chase Bank Towers. I noticed very many cities stopped building towers after the 80's boom. Birmingham, Dallas, Memphis, Houston, etc.

Have you noticed the "Capitol Complex" thread for BR ? Check-it out. While Downtown BR has not had a 20+ since 89; they have added many large state buildings starting back in 2002 including: Galvez Bldg. 13-stories; LaSalle 12; Iberville-9; Beinville-9 and the Claiborne-8 stories. This has really added density to the northern end of the CBD. The last two buildings Iberville and Beinville will be moved into this Summer; An additional 2,000 workers downtown. The 293-room renovated Capitol House(Hilton Capitol Center) will re-open Aug. 31st!

Baton Rouge's downtown Skyline has also lacked for a few reasons. Close proximity to New Orleans and the sprawl you mentioned. The 22-story Marriott was built near the I-10/12 split would look great on the riverfront; Essen has the new 12-story Shaw HQ's built in 2002; Jacobs-13 stories built in late 80's and United Plaza; OLOL Medical Tower. In the 70's the 14-story Republic Tower and 12-story Woodale bldg. were built in mid-city. And the two 12-story Bluebonnet Towers.

These buildings would have helped the downtown core.

I noticed Orlando has a building-boom going on downtown. They have an impressive 2nd skyline along I-4 near Universal Studio's and Disney.

Thanks for the info RichyB! Yes Orlando's skyline is now awash with 8 highrise cranes. Its exciting to finally see the dirt turning. I only hope the same happens in Baton Rouge real soon. It can't happen soon enough. The second skyline you mention down in the attractions area is not of as much intrest to me. The emporis website says Orlando's development is mostly tied to the resort industry. That's not entirely true. Downtown Orlando's growth is office towers, and residential/commercial mixed use and is a half hour away from Disney. I get frustrated when people don't realize that Orlando is definitely more than just Disney.

Anyway, back to good ole BR: do you know where I can find renderings of the "big 4"? I've seen RiverPlace and a small one of Laurel Tower, but haven't seen any of the others. Yes I saw the capital complex thread. It is nice to see all that consolidation of government buildings downtown from out in the 'burbs. I just wish they could have made fewer, taller buildings to add more height to the skyline.

Edited by otowntiger

Anyway, back to good ole BR: do you know where I can find renderings of the "big 4"? I've seen RiverPlace and a small one of Laurel Tower, but haven't seen any of the others. Yes I saw the capital complex thread. It is nice to see all that consolidation of government buildings downtown from out in the 'burbs. I just wish they could have made fewer, taller buildings to add more height to the skyline.

I should be able to help you a bit here...

RiverPlace Condominiums

RiverRoad_ariel_lg.jpg

Laurel Towers/Regions Financial Centre

pow011706.jpg

19th Judicial Courthouse

citycourtdev.jpg

City Plaza Two(before the height was increased to 19-20 stories)

cityplaza_2.jpg

Thanks so much for posting those pics Nate. ;)

Is there a rendering out for City Plaza Two? I wasn't able to find anything

I have not seen the new rendering either. :dontknow:

You posted the old Two City Plaza rendering on post#203 BR Growth & Development.

All's I can say is put the six-story parking garage under the tower. Approx.20-stories. Hey Nate,> check-out the those top-two floors on Two City Plaza. The way they look vaulted/elevated and angled. Also a spire on TOP. That should ADD to the height! Something for BR besides the boring, bland, boxy high-rises currently there. :shades:

Edited by richyb83

I should be able to help you a bit here...

RiverPlace Condominiums

RiverRoad_ariel_lg.jpg

Laurel Towers/Regions Financial Centre

pow011706.jpg

19th Judicial Courthouse

citycourtdev.jpg

City Plaza Two(before the height was increased to 19-20 stories)

cityplaza_2.jpg

Awesome! Thanks NCB! Those look great. Now I know where the Plaza Two and RiverPlace are going in, but where are the other two going? Thanks guys for your help.

Awesome! Thanks NCB! Those look great. Now I know where the Plaza Two and RiverPlace are going in, but where are the other two going? Thanks guys for your help.

Laurel Tower will be on Fifth Street @ Laurel next to(north)the Chase Bank Towers; The New Courthouse will be on an axis on Fourth Street opposite the State Capitol in the Municipal Bldg. parking lot(near Governmental Bldg. not far from Two City Plaza.

*NEWSFLASH* I just made a phone call...Two City Plaza's new renderings should be finalized and made public in another month!!! And break-ground at the begining of 07'. Good, that's as official as I've been able to find out in awhile.

Edited by richyb83

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot Brian, I appreciate it. I do really enjoy my city, state, and country. Great to share it with enthusiastic people like you who appreciate urban/suburban development too.

You do a great job with the SBC forum...between you and Nate, I can't go wrong.

Now if we can somehow get Jindal in office as La's next governor. :lol: