Downtown Winston-Salem vs. Downtown Greensboro  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Downtown Winston-Salem
    • Downtown Greensboro

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
skyline and layout goes to Winston. vibrancy is a split...daytime for Winston, nighttime for Greensboro.
that's a outstanding point you made Winston has the second best looking skyline in the state right now and Greensboro's nightlife as far as downtown goes is second to none Elm st can bang with the best!

Winston-Salem has longer to go in the street level retail department. It has some, but it could be better concentrated. I just get the feeling whenever I'm in downtown W-S that I'm very close to downtown, yet never actually in it. This is just to interject a bit of objectivity to the vote. I recognize downtown Winston has other merits, and it's certainly larger than Greensboro's.

It seems people harp on that skyline too much, which truthfully has a lot of gaps. It's interesting enough, but when you're downtown, you tend not to see the skyline :).

Winston-Salem has longer to go in the street level retail department. It has some, but it could be better concentrated. I just get the feeling whenever I'm in downtown W-S that I'm very close to downtown, yet never actually in it. This is just to interject a bit of objectivity to the vote. I recognize downtown Winston has other merits, and it's certainly larger than Greensboro's.

It seems people harp on that skyline too much, which truthfully has a lot of gaps. It's interesting enough, but when you're downtown, you tend not to see the skyline :).

It depends on the area of downtown you're in. If near the Federal building where the Veteran Administration office is located, you can see the skyline quite well.

Another plus for downtown Winston are the highways that surround it; which downtown Greensboro lacks.

I think Winston-Salem is nicer. The skyline is much better than Greensboro. Old Salem is also a really cool piece of history situated near downtown. Wake Forest calls WS home and there are more big name industries there. I would have to give WS the nod on this one.

Unless those highways are pedestrian-friendly and they allow pedestrians to access shops and stores with relative ease, I would not say that they make Winston-Salem more urban.

Most roads in downtown Greensboro are too wide and do not profvide safe pedestrian access.

They can always be narrowed and streetscaped for this function, however. That typically cannot be done with interstates running through downtown.

Dowtowns with adjacent highways are unique, because they help these areas function as a seperate entity.

If the interstate downtown were of 2006 standard then yeah it would have a certain urban feel to it. But that stretch of 40 is horrendous. As for the comparison I have to abstain because I love Greensboro but yet I am a realist also. Overall I will say Greensboro has more of a city vibe going for it. I wish someone would do a photo tour of near downtown neighborhoods for G-boro like there are in the Charlotte forum.

Dowtowns with adjacent highways are unique, because they help these areas function as a seperate entity.

And that is the problem; downtowns aren't supposed to be separate entities from the rest of the city. The history of interstates running through downtowns in this country is a very sad one. Entire neighborhoods were torn asunder, segregated from others, or razed completely; historic buildings were demolished; valuable parcels of property became beds for concrete rivers. Have you ever seen aerials of some cities that have interstates cutting through them? They look more like "urban scars."

And they are anything but unique, as many cities have repeated this tragic mistake.

No wonder San Francisco got smart and tore down the Embacadero Freeway (after it was severely damaged in an earthquake).

One reason why Vancouver is often cited as one of the most livable cities in the world is due to the lack of freeways slicing through downtown.

If the interstate downtown were of 2006 standard then yeah it would have a certain urban feel to it.

Interstates have NOTHING to do with urbanity. Using your definition, Venice, Italy, with a population density close to that of Manhattan, is not an urban place.

The automobile is the primary undoing instrument of urban life in the world. It puts a hard metal shell around the individual and isolates them from the sights, sounds, smells, and tactile sensations of the city. The interstate is designed to move a car as quickly as possible through a location with no regards to interaction and observation.

Due to hometown bias I'll go with Winston-Salem due to a good urban vibe and a strong collection of nearby urban neighborhoods. Having worked in downtown Greensboro last summer, i'll say that Greensboro has a vastly more unified streetscape in Elm Street and a greater variety of entertainment and restaurant venues though little that is off the Elm Street drag. Winston's downtown has some really cool parts and nearby areas that could be lumped into downtown but the downtown has alot of holes that makes for rather pathcy development. 4th street has by no means the kind of unfied streetscape of Elm Street and still needs work on the eastern end. I think though that some of the projects up the pipeline should fill in those holes, particulalry the West End Village, this and some of the really cool sections of the downtown would be why a put Winston a hair ahead of Greensboro.

As far as W-S vs Gboro, if going by skyline, W-S hands down. I wasn't even aware that Gboro even had a downtown, I've never been there but seeing as it resembles South Park in Charlotte, I can't comment on the life there but I can estimate it is more pedestrian friendly than W-S. The highways in W-S definately provide an excellent view of the skyline, especially at night

As far as W-S vs Gboro, if going by skyline, W-S hands down. I wasn't even aware that Gboro even had a downtown, I've never been there but seeing as it resembles South Park in Charlotte, I can't comment on the life there but I can estimate it is more pedestrian friendly than W-S. The highways in W-S definately provide an excellent view of the skyline, especially at night

You know it's odd that Winston-Salem has the skyline and a perfect setting for what could be a great downtown, but there is just not that many people down there. Every time I visit the streets are deserted. I really like the area around Old Salem and Marshall Street. There is a great walking trial there as well, but I have never seen anyone in this area after 5:00 pm. I think the majority of people living in and around downtown are empty nesters / Seniors who go to bed by 9:00 pm.

Greensboro on the other hand is always packed with people in their downtown. I prefer the look of W-S downtown, but the activity is in Greensboro. The population in Greensboro is more diverse. I just wish Greensboro had a skyline to match its population.

Archived