Downtown Winston-Salem vs. Downtown Greensboro

Rwarky

Downtown Winston-Salem vs. Downtown Greensboro  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Downtown Winston-Salem
    • Downtown Greensboro

You know it's odd that Winston-Salem has the skyline and a perfect setting for what could be a great downtown, but there is just not that many people down there. Every time I visit the streets are deserted. I really like the area around Old Salem and Marshall Street. There is a great walking trial there as well, but I have never seen anyone in this area after 5:00 pm. I think the majority of people living in and around downtown are empty nesters / Seniors who go to bed by 9:00 pm.

Greensboro on the other hand is always packed with people in their downtown. I prefer the look of W-S downtown, but the activity is in Greensboro. The population in Greensboro is more diverse. I just wish Greensboro had a skyline to match its population.

the summer music series is about to start so dt winston should be back alive.

i used to feel the same way until i drove through the arts district one night. trade st. is the place for entertainment and a close second is the burke street area. i think residents forget to check this place out on the weekends. ironically, so much effort is being put into revitalizing 4th, but the activity is in the less marketed parts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need Night Clubs Down-town Winston, I think It will being more younger people down town. Like Austin,TX

One of the Police Officers in Winston-Salem told me that they did not allow partying and noise downtown after 11:00 pm. Whats that all about. These peope need to get a clue. With that kind of mentality downtown will never have any clubs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

It just depends on what you are looking for. If you like cities with tall buildings, downtown W-S is the place. Or if you like the artsy scene, downtown W-S is the place. If you like downtowns with a hopping nightlife, Greensboro is the place. It really comes down to a personal preference but I dont think either downtown is better than the other because both have special characteristics. I think downtown Greensboro still have alot of opportunties. The far southwest corner of downtown could be redeveloped. There is nothing at all happening there because there are mainly storage buildings and things of that sort. Its the most dead section of downtown. Hopefully the greenway will help spark some redevelopment there.

Archived