Harris Teeter Cameron Village

avery

There was mention in today's N&O that Harris Teeter and Eckerd are in talks about switching spots. HT wants to build a 70,000 sq. ft. store where Eckerd now stands. Eckerd would likely take the current HT spot with some other tenants. The new store would include a parking garage.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. Harris Teeter will build a 70,000 sq foot store like the new one at Friendly Center in Greensboro. Which would make Cameron Village's and Friendly's both the largest stores in Harris Teeter's chain, with Charlotte's Morrocroft coming in at a close second.

Seems like just yeaterday that they built the current Cameron Village HT. What's odd is that I think the current Eckerd site is where HT used to be before they moved into their current spot.

It is the same site where they used to be.

What gives me pause about this, and the mega-ization of grocery stores and retail in general, is the "parking spaces per square foot" zoning requirement. Sure, the current HT's parking lot is smaller than would probably be allowed under current regulations, but I've never had any difficulty finding a space.

If parking for this 70,000sf HT is really going to be in a deck, then great - but parking in a deck for a grocery store? That's a big step, and I'm more than a little dubious that a developer will expect Raleighites to catch on.

What gives me pause about this, and the mega-ization of grocery stores and retail in general, is the "parking spaces per square foot" zoning requirement. Sure, the current HT's parking lot is smaller than would probably be allowed under current regulations, but I've never had any difficulty finding a space.

If parking for this 70,000sf HT is really going to be in a deck, then great - but parking in a deck for a grocery store? That's a big step, and I'm more than a little dubious that a developer will expect Raleighites to catch on.

I've never had problems finding a space either. My guess is that HT just wants a bigger store and the current location will not allow it.

I've never had problems finding a space either. My guess is that HT just wants a bigger store and the current location will not allow it.

I've definitely had problems finding a parking space at HT at times. Not only are there not many spaces but the whole thing just seems cramped (probably b/c there aren't many spaces) haha.

I almost always have to park in the spaces parallel to Oberlin, which are furthest from the store. This happens even at later hours, say 9pm, when most other grocery stores are dead. I think there is a parking problem at HT the same way there is one downtown... people just don't like to have to walk much. Lazy beotchs. :P

I always park across Cameron Street, behind the McDonalds, and never have a problem. I don't go during weekdays, so that might contribute to my "luck". If they move back to where Eckerds is now, people can park in the lot on the back/Broughton side of the store, but that would require walking half a block... Some K&W diners already parks in the Eckerds lot, so there really wouldn't be a major gain in number of spaces. I think the parking by Talbots is usually pretty empty, but i don't watch it too closely.

Cameron Village started coming into its own when they got rid of the deck around what is now the blockbuster/Village draft house area. The block west of there (Cafe Carolina) opened up when that deck disappeared as well. They could take Cameron down to one lane in each direction (except for the bus stops) and add on street parking, although that might blow people's minds.

Archived