Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M. Brown

NFL in LA?

11 posts in this topic

Two main reasons:

Nobody can get their act together to bring a team

City won't float a significant amount of money to build a new stadium.

I think eventually LA will get a team, but it will probably be a while, until another team moves.

I thought they had one already. Maybe they don't...I'm not into sports much. I do know, however, that LA is a main candidate for an NFL expansion team in the next few years.

Ok, I guess they don't have a team already. LOL. They will get one eventually though...it's a question of time. The market is certainly big enough...it is the nation's 2nd largest city.

Pasadena optimistic about NFL team

Posted: Wednesday June 11, 2003 6:25 PM

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Pasadena officials are optimistic they will get an NFL team for the Rose Bowl after meeting with league officials in New York on Wednesday to discuss the city's proposal.

"I think there's a very high probability that it will turn out the way we want," City Manager Cynthia Kurtz said before the Pasadena group flew back to California.

"We've met with the NFL before," Kurtz said following the two-hour meeting. "This is the first face-to-face meeting since we sent them a letter suggesting the conditions we would need and the things we feel are important to be included in any agreement."

The NFL previously stated its intention to return to the Los Angeles area, which has been without a team since the Raiders moved to Oakland and the Rams moved to St. Louis before the 1995 season. Pasadena presented its proposal to the league at an NFL owners meeting in Philadelphia last month.

No matter what happens, it's almost certain to be several years before an existing team relocates to the Los Angeles area. The league has said it has no plans for expansion.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue requested the meeting last week. Tagliabue attended part of the Wednesday's get-together. Roger Goodell, the NFL's chief operating officer, also attended.

"We're feeling very positive," Kurtz said. "We feel that they've made a commitment to spend time with us. A lot of questions were raised by both the city and the NFL today. Now that we've begun the exchange of information, we'll start to move forward."

Kurtz said she expected another discussion within a few weeks although no date was set.

"There were questions that were raised," she said. "We need to do some homework and get some information together. We will continue the discussions that started today by phone or face-to-face."

Others representing Pasadena at the meeting were finance director Jay Goldstone, Rose Bowl general manager Darryl Dunn and John Moag, an investment banker hired by the Rose Bowl Operating Co. to lead its bid.

"Today's discussion is part of an ongoing process designed to return an NFL team presence and Super Bowls to the Los Angeles area," the league said in a statement. "We are committed to continuing the dialogue with Pasadena and moving the process in a positive direction.

"We expect this process to involve many more such discussions -- in person and on the telephone -- including meetings in Pasadena."

The Pasadena delegation said getting a team isn't the only consideration.

"We're not after this for the NFL, we're after this to secure our future," Dunn said earlier this month. "We have an opportunity to make an 81-year-old stadium young. It's such an opportunity for us to find a way to secure the Rose Bowl for future generations."

Dunn said the city loses between $1 million and $2 million a year on the Rose Bowl, whose only tenant is the UCLA football team. Refurbishment of the Rose Bowl will cost an estimated $500 million. Dunn said the project would be privately financed, with the NFL very involved.

They don't deserve another one. LA isn't a big sports town anyway. I saw the Lakers vs Sacramento in LA a few years ago when the Lakers won it all and Sacramento was real good and people were more interested in seeing celebrities than watching the game.

and people were more interested in seeing celebrities than watching the game.

Sounds like the LA I know. I know more die hard Lakers fans outside of LA than I know who lived in Atlanta. LA seems much like Atlanta, there seems to be a considerable lack of hometown fans.

For some of the teams (notably the Hawks), there are so few Hawks fans that they actually promote other teams and players in their advertisements!

Are you kidding me? LA has a huge fan base when it comes to the Lakers. Don't let those folks at the games fool you. As far back as I can remember for my age when Magic Johnson, Kareem, and the rest of the Showtime gang, these people are die hards. All around the city every year, it seems like everyone and their grandmother has a Laker flag, or a T-Shirt. Already I'm seeing vendors on the conners selling their products, and people gearing up for the playoffs. Many people can't afford to see the Lakers live, the tickets aren't cheap. With the rich, and the tourist (looking for celebs), or having connections its almost impossible to get good seats. If you want to pay $45 to sit in the very last row, than its better to watch it at a sports bar or at home. Asked a New Yorker if the average NY'er fans get to see their Knicks. It pretty much the same situation in NYC, but probably worst than than trying to see the Lakers. The games are always sold out, so don't think they don't have support, we're just not as rowdy as other cities fans. The rowdy comes out at the parades. B)

Its a running joke among sports reporters ESPN guys and all that SoCalers don't WANT the NFL back, they get the top 4 games every week on CBS and FOX, if they had the Raiders and Rams they would only get the top 2 games, Raiders and Rams would be forced to be shown in LA metro.

A few seasons ago, when the Indianapolis Dolts -- erh Colts kept loosing in first round Playoff games with a Super Bowl calibur squad, and this after 20 years of being the joke of the NFL, they were to move west to become the "California Colts", attendance being way down in Hoosier land, this last season though they made a very good run and the fans are coming out in Indy, so LA lost another one.

Well the Lakers are the most profitable team in the NBA after all, and you can't expect few fans for the 3-time recent champs.

But still, I'm glad to see ABC/the other stations finally relaxing their sugarcoating of the Lakers a bit; hopefully last year's lesson will stay in this year's playoffs, that alternate teams (especially the Spurs) deserve some respect. :D

About football, I think people there are satisified enough with the Chargers (San Diego), plus the NFL seems to want to keep its nifty 32-team arrangement for now.

I don't know but it seems that football teams really have not been successful in LA.