Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dimebag1980

battle over Shreveport children's hospitals heats up

8 posts in this topic

Why make it into a competition? It's health care and it's for the children. Just do it and shut up. So LSU-HSC has been working on a children's hospital for Shreveport while PGA golfer Hal Sutton was working on the same thing. And? Rather than fight about it, for the sake of the children, can't the two hospitals just coexist? If the market can't handle them both, one of them will be purged anyway.

Expert says one hospital is likely to lose the battle

Competition good for children's care, but could also be bad

Public invited to sneak peek at Sutton Children's

This is something that has "Louisiana" written all over it. A battle for the control of Children's Health Care in the Shreveport-Bossier area like you said is good for the health care, but it just seems like it could be a bad thing in the near future for the children themselves. How long has this battle been going on?

This is something that has "Louisiana" written all over it. A battle for the control of Children's Health Care in the Shreveport-Bossier area like you said is good for the health care, but it just seems like it could be a bad thing in the near future for the children themselves. How long has this battle been going on?

It's actually a very new thing. The Shriner's Hospital has been around here forever... it was the nation's first Shriner's Hospital. But Shriner's is mostly for crippled children, and not for other childhood ailments. LSUHSC has always had a pediatric ward, but it's never been much more than just that... a ward. Then PGA golfer Hal Sutton, a longtime Shreveport-Bossier resident, and David Toms, another PGA golfer and longtime Shreveport-Bossier resident, decided to raise funds to open a children's hospital at Christus Schumpert hospital in Shreveport. This set off something in the heads of the LSUHSC officials, and suddenly THEY were wanting in on the act, smearing Hal Sutton's name into the ground saying it's all a big PR thing for him and not really for the kids. Who cares? If his hospital has the best interest of the children in mind, it will be a success. Otherwise, LSUHSC's children's hospital will prevail.

This set off something in the heads of the LSUHSC officials, and suddenly THEY were wanting in on the act, smearing Hal Sutton's name into the ground saying it's all a big PR thing for him and not really for the kids. Who cares? If his hospital has the best interest of the children in mind, it will be a success. Otherwise, LSUHSC's children's hospital will prevail.

That's what I'm thinking. It really seems like the goal of some is to simply smear the name of the other, rather than simply focusing on the children. What is the general public's view on this up there in NW LA?

From talking to people in my circles, it seems most people want to side with LSUHSC against Hal Sutton. But I have to believe the man has a heart, since afterall, he's a father himself. People want to drag his personal life into the deal, alleging he has treated all his ex-wives badly and probably treats his current wife the same way, therefore he can't possibly care about the children... or anyone else for that matter. But still, I have to put his personal matters aside and think about the man's mission. He and David Toms took this matter on by themselves. It was just them. They organized, over the past few years, an annual celebrity golf event which brings TV and sports stars to Shreveport every single year, all playing for the same common goal: the general well-being of the children.

Then there are those who want to say that the only children's hospital needed in Shreveport is Shriner's. Okay, must I say again that Shriner's is not a facility for all children, but is rather a hospital specialized to meet the needs of crippled children. So Shriner's, in my opinion, doesn't even factor into the equation.

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

Can't we all just get along? :rolleyes:

That's what I say everyday while watching New Orleans politicians and officials arguing with one another simply because of bi-partisan politics. It's a completely different situation up in Shreveport, but it would be nice to see everyone just come together and work to do the best for whatever is at hand(in these cases, a city, and children) rather than just arguing about everything possible.

Somehow I missed this article yesterday, but it looks like even Shriner's Hospital is behind LSUHSC and against Sutton's. But that doesn't come as a huge surprise, given Shriners' long-standing relationship with LSUHSC and the fact that the two hospitals are literally next door to one another.

Shriners support LSUHSC children's hospital

Sutton Children's Hospital at Christus Schumpert is now "officially" open for business. I don't give a crap about the "battle" anymore, after hearing of Hal Sutton's inspiration for this hospital. I truly believe he did thie for the right reason, and that he used his local "celebrity" status to help push it along. Normally I'm against someone using their status to get things accomplished, but in this case I'm all for it.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...EWS01/605230330